Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Also can anyone recommend a cheaper alternative for these brown suede oxfords? Need a pair for this wedding I got coming up

Meermin. When's the wedding?

How long does Meermin take to get delivered to the states? If I order today, would I be able to get them in by the 17th?

Meermin double monks just came in.
Meermin taking my money these days. Still a few more I want to cop.

I got a belt and quality seems on point but time will tell.

Not trying to troll. Seen a pair like that at Gucci, Suit Supply. What makes the quality of those better? I know this sounds like a dumb question. Just asking about the quality. Prices seem fair. $180, I'd buy a few pairs if the quality is A1.

And what's the sizing?

Last edited:
Not trying to troll. Seen a pair like that at Gucci, Suit Supply. What makes the quality of those better? I know this sounds like a dumb question. Just asking about the quality.

And what's the sizing?

The double monk is a very common style amongst most retailers that sell dress shoes.

Personally I've never owned SuitSupply dress shoes but I know they are Blake Stitched, their lasts are very nice but I have no idea about leather quality. I have a pair of Gucci loafers and the leather is very nice but I do not know if they are Goodyear Welted or Blake Stitched. Meermin, I own quite a few pairs and for the value Meermin can't be beat. Leather is very good, the lasts are nice as well especially the Elton last.

Frankly it comes down to what you want to spend and whether you like the lasts being offered b the shoemaker. Personally if I'm considering Gucci I would rather go with Carmina. FYI, Blake Stitched and Goodyear Welted shoes can be resoled in the future.

Edit: Sizing, Meermin is in UK sizing so a 10UK=11US

Last edited:
The double monk is a very common style amongst most retailers that sell dress shoes.

Personally I've never owned SuitSupply dress shoes but I know they are Blake Stitched, their lasts are very nice but I have no idea about leather quality. I have a pair of Gucci loafers and the leather is very nice but I do not know if they are Goodyear Welted or Blake Stitched. Meermin, I own quite a few pairs and for the value Meermin can't be beat. Leather is very good, the lasts are nice as well especially the Elton last.

Frankly it comes down to what you want to spend and whether you like the lasts being offered b the shoemaker. Personally if I'm considering Gucci I would rather go with Carmina. FYI, Blake Stitched and Goodyear Welted shoes can be resoled in the future.

Edit: Sizing, Meermin is in UK sizing so a 10UK=11US

What is your size in AE, Meermin and Nike's?

I'll give it a try. I need a few more dress pieces (as well as some tapered trousers).

I wear an 11.5 in Nike sneakers. I wear a 9 in Gucci shoes/loafers.

Last edited:
What is your size in AE, Meermin and Nike's?

I'll give it a try. I need a few more dress pieces (as well as some tapered trousers).

I wear an 11.5 in Nike sneakers. I wear a 9 in Gucci shoes/loafers.

That's a wide range. My Gucci loafers are an 11US, my Meermin's are a 10UK but I probably should have gone with a 9.5UK. Nike's 11.5/12.

That's a wide range. My Gucci loafers are an 11US, my Meermin's are a 10UK but I probably should have gone with a 9.5UK. Nike's 11.5/12.

Lol. I wear a 9 in Gucci (I'm assuming it's a U.K. Sizing).

And I've measured my foot. It's between 11.2-11.5 with the funky shoe sizer at the store. 11 in Nikes are tight for me.

So if I'm an 11 UK, I should probably go with the 10 (or even the 9.5 you mentioned).

Do you have any Allen Edwards? They have a sale right now.

Last edited:
About to see some major changes at J.Crew or nah? :nerd:
Doubt it. They've been having financial issues for years.

The menswear trend died several years ago. They peaked. Michelle O'bama was wearing their stuff and the menswear trend made them really popping.

The same effect is happening with other companies too. The same reason is why Epaulet no longer has shops in NY at all.

On another note:

Anyone have any experience getting the waist taken out on pants? Found some old suits during spring cleaning and was considering taking them to a tailor and see if I can get these to be passable. Is it worth the time. One of them is definitely two waist sizes too small the others are one I would say.

Just got in JE's rip off of the SLP flannel & I love it ^__^

I'll post fit pics when I wear it later this week.

Anyone have any JE denim that can comment on how the cast 2 fits?

I usually wear a 31/32 in rag & bone fit 1 but when I tried on 31s in the cast 2 at barneys (no 32s or 33s to try on unfortunately) I had trouble buttoning and it was pretty tight in the thigh. Debating whether or not I'd be a 32/33... suggestions?

Interesting considering Jenna Lyons was forced out in April. I was jus reading an article last week about how Mickey Drexler was going to take it in a more affordable less high end direction. So much for that.
I read something similar,I don't remember the exact quote but something like they were pretending to be a brand that they weren't.

Anyone have any experience getting the waist taken out on pants? Found some old suits during spring cleaning and was considering taking them to a tailor and see if I can get these to be passable. Is it worth the time. One of them is definitely two waist sizes too small the others are one I would say.
Do you see any extra fabric to let out? How do the pants fit on you besides the waist (thigh / knee / hem)?

Either way, go to a tailor and ask him/her.

Do you see any extra fabric to let out? How do the pants fit on you besides the waist (thigh / knee / hem)?

Either way, go to a tailor and ask him/her.
I honestly didn't check anything about them just looked at the sizes. All. T suits need work as far as I'm concerned I just haven't gotten around to it.

Not trying to troll. Seen a pair like that at Gucci, Suit Supply. What makes the quality of those better? I know this sounds like a dumb question. Just asking about the quality. Prices seem fair. $180, I'd buy a few pairs if the quality is A1.

And what's the sizing?

No idea how Gucci or Suit Supply are but it's definitely a big step up from all the formal shoes I've owned, quality wise.

General consensus is, they are the best bang for your buck and I've not been disappointed.

Most of the other brands which I researched that were comparable were too expensive for me.

Sizing for mine was a UK 10 or US.
I think they also have a more in depth guide for their different lasts on the website.

Last edited:
Suit Supply's shoes, aesthetically, look fine but the quality is piss poor.

Any high end designer brand will never make dress shoes in equal quality at the same price point as true shoemakers like John Lobb, Carmina, E&G, Vass, etc. Value just ain't there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom