Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Today and another entry into the rugged footwear challenge:

RE: consulting idea...I think the undergrad guys can really do something here. I chatted it up with another member last night via PM. Worst case scenario...the consulting thing fails and you still learn something along the way, which is very important. You can use this to talk with among potential employers at interviews...a lot like the entrepreneurship spirit.

The reason I mention the undergrads is that you guys fill a niche. You guys probably dress better than your classmates and professors, and probably even folks 10 years older than you. It's hard to make the jump from what NT deems as 'street wear', ie skinny jeans that's sagging with slightly oversized t shirt to men's wear. I know for me it felt weird at first when I tucked in a shirt and wore a tie when I was not required to, but grew to love it. It's also intimidating for those guys to lurk at say, StyleForum, where the members talk about complex issues like construction of ties to sourcing exotic fabrics for shoes/boots. The intended target will be at a lost no doubt, and will most likely lose interest.

This is when you young guys can jump in...since you are around their age, and can relate more. It's a big jump from finding a New Era fitted cap that will match your Nikes/Jordans to men's wear where the emphasis is on coordination and silhouette because the idea is harder to grasp. You guys can also relate better since you can suggest brands and how to look for deals rather than having the intended target browse SF where some members are talking about items way beyond what they can afford.

I wasn't this knowledgeable in undergrad, I barely started in grad school several years ago so I missed that boat. This consulting thing will most likely not make you into a millionaire, but it will be a fun/interesting side job since you guys are into it anyway. You guys can outline of simple concepts to cover with your intended target like versatile colors, proper footwear, layering, etc. so whatever they buy can be mixed and matched for dressing up/down. I wouldn't mind paying $50 for a service like this for someone to sit down with me and going over basic ideas. You can probably use what you learned in years and cover it in an hour or two over a cup of coffee. You can bring in pictures from here, SF, blogs, yourself, mags, etc. to emphasize your points.

Finally above freezing in nj. Threw on some rugged footwear.

Last edited:
HBD!

i'm not sure on the opinion of camo pants in this thread but,

where could i find some good cargo camo pants? preferably skinny / tapered. I can't seem to find a nice pair that isn't sold out

actually i may have found some, if anyones interested.

Damn those are nice. Wonder if he is willing to do the solid colors in rip-stop.

Last edited:
all they are are $20 BDUs from the local army navy store that have the legs tapered. could certainly be had for less if you just buy a pair and bring them to a local tailor.

Finally above freezing in nj. Threw on some rugged footwear.

Dope fit man :nthat:

And Wis, I by no means consider myself any kind of authority on this type of stuff but from reading various blogs and just following through this thread and posting things I have picked up a ton of valuable info...I'm in my last semester of undergrad as well and a lot of the info here will definitely help out when it comes for me to buy things I need/want in the future once i start working full time.

One of the biggest misconceptions I had a while ago was that it required lots of money in order to dress well (also buying big name brands and having "logos" that people knew about was the main thing that mattered :smh:) which is far from reality...definitely investing in quality pieces like shoes and such that will last for a while is important but I think being in college still and having that "I wanna save whenever I can mentality" :lol: on things from pizza to video games, to blazers and dress shirts will hopefully serve well in the future too for a lot of us, take Adrian's recent success with the thrifts for example. But nailing the basics down like essential suit colors, dress shirts, type sof pants (casual/dress) even if someone is revamping their entire wardrobe, will probably save money in the end since all the pieces can be versatile and used in many different ways....I think that'd be a cool idea

all they are are $20 BDUs from the local army navy store that have the legs tapered. could certainly be had for less if you just buy a pair and bring them to a local tailor.

same logic could basically be said about a steak from a restaurant...

i really don't have any tailors or a army surplus store ( other than a thrift shop that has absolutely NOTHING ) around me, plus im kinda lazy :nerd: just a good option for those in a similar situation like me

Last edited:
i find that hard to believe. most dry cleaners do simple alterations.

im not saying dont buy them if its easier for you. just letting people know there are other less expensive options

What's up guys? First time in this thread and am hoping y'all can help me out. I'm looking for a sick pair of wingtips, wingtip boots, oxfords, chukkas, etc. Something dope that I can wear out to restaurants, bars, etc w/ some quality denim. Think I want to go w/ a suede pair as well. Not to knowledgeable in this area yet, so do you all have any brands, sites, stores I should check out?

A good friend told me to check out J Shoes and Grenson. Any advice, input would be appreciated.

Brand New BDU's dont run $20. Im prior Navy and would have loved to pay $20 for BDU's. Tailoring BDU's is not cheap. You have to cut off the cargo pockets and reapply. I paid $40 on base to have it done when I was in and they never came out as god as that guys pics.

I'd like to keep it under $400 or so

You want to wear $400 shoes to bars ?? Unless you're rich I don't think that's a good idea :lol: i did this by mistake once (got too drunk while pregaming to go out and forgot to change out of my nice shoes that I wore to work) and they looked like they aged 30 years in one night. Completely covered with scuff marks and rips from people stepping all over my feet :smh: Buy a nice pair for restaurants/fancy places and a pair of Aldos for bars/clubs

Last edited:
What's up guys? First time in this thread and am hoping y'all can help me out. I'm looking for a sick pair of wingtips, wingtip boots, oxfords, chukkas, etc. Something dope that I can wear out to restaurants, bars, etc w/ some quality denim. Think I want to go w/ a suede pair as well. Not to knowledgeable in this area yet, so do you all have any brands, sites, stores I should check out?

A good friend told me to check out J Shoes and Grenson. Any advice, input would be appreciated.

I like Grenson Archie's. Female compliments are abundant, especially the ones with the vibram sole. They can be had well below $400.

SCF415 - Yeah that was the high point. Not necessarily looking to spend that much if I don't have to. 200 give or take would be great.

thenewjs23 - I'll check those out. I was just looking at the J shoes "Andrew' wingtip boot. Liking those.

Back
Top Bottom