Dressing Better Vol 2.0

A black suit was the first suit I ever bought. Although I do like it, I only wear it to VERY dressy events.

12 blazers and 2 tuxs I can understand but why 15 suits? Seems slightly OD.

My stats is

1 tux
10 blazers (8 tailored)
6 suits (all tailored)

3 reason:

1. I used to work in a very strict suit only/dress coat dress code environment.

2. My step-father is a pastor of whom that owns over 80 suits (how some of us are with sneakers, he is with suits) and I'm not talking Steve Harvey suits either. He is my Dressing Better/GQ ideal when it comes to suits. So I guess you can say influence.

3. I attend a lot of political and social events that requires suits....

My step-brother owns over 30 suits...so it's normal in my family. LoL

Last edited:
Question when it comes to tailoring.

As the current trends are always changing, I was wondering if when getting trousers tapered from the knee down, is it possible to save the fabric, and reverse the operation for a more conservative cut in the future and add an inch or so?

I don't think so....

Fellas: I want to pick your brain a bit. When it comes to buying clothes...what are the criteria you set? Low price? High quality? etc. Thanks.

I go for in no particular order.

• How it fits on me
• The pattern
• Color (sometimes color, hate to have the same color in all my clothes)
• Versatility
• Quality (depending on the item am I going to wear it a lot, to where, etc)

I like minimalism, so I don't like to have 10 dress shirts if I don't need them or 5 pairs of pants.

I usually tend to buy higher priced items not on purpose, but because name brands or european brands tend to have what I'm looking for, as opposed to Big chain, american or cheaper stores that sell generic black/blue too big for me clothing.

Pretty sure I've posted these before, but this is a somewhat affordable pair of double monks from Andrew Lock (250). I'll probably get a pair sometime in the future

Last edited:
V-neck sweaters are always going to be a little shorter than the shirt because it's supposed to expose your belt. Tucking a white tee in isn't too bad. I just tried on a white undershirt underneath my black Lacoste v-neck. It looked pretty good, but that has a lot to do with the V cut not being too large. With some of the other companies it might not look as good with a deeper V cut.
That's false. Layering sweaters are supposed to cut at the torso line for a clean appeal in case you should wear a blazer, suit jacket, etc on top. If your belt is exposed, the sweater is way too short.

A lot of smaller shops are dropping their orders with Alden since they are taking forever. This, along with the increases in prices almost on a yearly basis are making people consider other brands. Interested to see how Alden will respond, if at all.

Pretty sure I've posted these before, but this is a somewhat affordable pair of double monks from Andrew Lock (250). I'll probably get a pair sometime in the future

It's the gold buckles that don't do it for me, since I don't wear any gold colored jewelry.

Interesting article here, Allen Edmonds trying to have President Obama to wear their shoes at inauguration, apparently they believe he wore Cole Haan last time.

It's the gold buckles that don't do it for me, since I don't wear any gold colored jewelry.

Interesting article here, Allen Edmonds trying to have President Obama to wear their shoes at inauguration, apparently they believe he wore Cole Haan last time.
I think Obama would be perfect for AE. American made and decent quality that a good amount of people can afford.

Fellas: I want to pick your brain a bit. When it comes to buying clothes...what are the criteria you set? Low price? High quality? etc. Thanks.

Since I'm still in school on modest funds I try and find the best balance of each if I can :lol: I use Hukkster on my browser for online shopping to alert me of sales and Ebates for cash back if I can, I usually only buy from places like JCrew when its a sale or if I make it out to the outlets....but hopefully once I get a full time job and graduate I'll be able to look into more high quality brands though. I usually try and stay with brands and items I have experience with and no issues with them falling apart, etc. too, and obviously fit is paramount I'll sacrifice brand names and all that for something that fits me better

Last edited:
D1 Dockers are alright... however the waist always seems to fit very tight and when you size up the thighs are too big
mean.gif

I'd look into the GAP slim khakis. PERFECT fit in my opinion
happy.gif
thanks, I like my jcrews from the outlets but a wash here and there and they shrink, I think I'll look at the D1 and gap ones, thanks guys

Is that for all AEs or just those 3?

I think it is all on that site, but they do not have a great selection
I was just about to ask you Carlin. I know you have the Westchesters IIRC, but do you own a pair of Kenwoods? I'm thinking about scooping those for the $112 price
Its only for the 3 I posted. Very good deal guys.
i entered the code on the kenwoods and it showed the 50% off discount

Might scoop up a pair of AEs just because they are so damn cheap and I will eventually need a pair for work. Anybody have the New Haven's? It says on their website that it's part of their "ae by Allen Edmonds" collection. Is that like a lower end, more affordable collection?

Might scoop up a pair of AEs just because they are so damn cheap and I will eventually need a pair for work. Anybody have the New Haven's? It says on their website that it's part of their "ae by Allen Edmonds" collection. Is that like a lower end, more affordable collection?
yes, those are lower end, and likely not made in US and not recraftable

Back
Top Bottom