How important is RELIGION in a Relationship?

My girl is Catholic, born and raised, it's in their blood pretty much. I was baptized Catholic, and then converted to United Methodist before being rebaptized as a member of Christian Assemblies of God. Our families' views clash, we barely talk about it, but we know it's an issue, and try to addressit now and then. However, I feel like there's rarely a meeting ground between us in regards to religion. Catholicism is such a one-way street... either yougo their way or it's nothing.

Hopefully shes like me and believes there's a God...and thats basically it. nothin in particular.

Originally Posted by Phinsfan13

My girl is Catholic, born and raised, it's in their blood pretty much. I was baptized Catholic, and then converted to United Methodist before being re baptized as a member of Christian Assemblies of God. Our families' views clash, we barely talk about it, but we know it's an issue, and try to address it now and then. However, I feel like there's rarely a meeting ground between us in regards to religion. Catholicism is such a one-way street... either you go their way or it's nothing.

hate to break it to you, but almost all religions are like that.

Originally Posted by Executive76

Originally Posted by webnerd06

unfortunately this would be the downfall of my relationship...
my bf is heavily religious and i have no set religion... we had the future talk and he won't marry someone that "isn't on the same page" as himself...
Sounds like you should just cut your losses now
smile.gif

As her friend....dude that will NEVER happen....trust me

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

Originally Posted by dr funk 13

For me it's important. I want to be married in the Temple. And only baptized members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who are in good standing and keeping the commandments can enter the Temple. If she's not any of those then unfortunately she won't be my wife.

So what if I wanted to become a member? I wouldn't be allowed in the temple?
Becoming a member is the first step towards entering the Temple.

Hopefully this short write up will answer some questions:

Temples have always been revered and reserved as sacred ground. Anciently, the prophet Ezekiel declared, "Thus saith the Lord GOD; No stranger, uncircumcised in heart, nor uncircumcised in flesh, shall enter into my sanctuary" (Ezek. 44:9). The Prophet Joseph Smith prayed that "[the temple] may be sanctified and consecrated to be holy, and that thy holy presence may be continually in this house" (D&C 109:12), "and that no unclean thing shall be permitted to come into thy house to pollute it" (D&C 109:20).

After construction and before a temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has been dedicated to the Lord, an open house is held and the general public is invited to enter and view the rooms. But for participation in a temple dedication and for all ordinances performed in the temple thereafter, only members of the Church who have a current identification card, called a temple recommend, may enter.

Temple recommends are given to members of the Church who have completed the preliminary steps of faith, repentance, baptism, and confirmation. Adult males must also have been ordained to the Melchizedek Priesthood. Temple recommends are usually issued by a bishop and countersigned by a member of the stake presidency in interviews conducted in private. The bishop, who is responsible as a "judge in Israel" (D&C 107:72, 74, 76), conducts the initial interview. He seeks to discern personal worthiness and standards of Christlike living and counsels appropriately with those whose lives are in need of any change or repentance. It is considered a serious matter to become prepared to receive the covenants, ordinances, and blessings of the temple. Questions are asked to ascertain one's faith in God the Eternal Father, in his Son Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost; and inquiry is made regarding the person's testimony of the restored gospel and loyalty to the teachings and leaders of the Church. Worthiness requirements include being honest, keeping the commandments, such as chastity-sexual continence before marriage and fidelity within marriage-obeying the laws of tithing and the Word of Wisdom, fulfilling family responsibilities and avoiding affiliation with dissident groups. The First Presidency often emphasizes that it is a solemn responsibility for a bishop or stake president to conduct a temple recommend interview. An equal responsibility rests upon the person who is interviewed to respond to questions fully and honestly (Ensign 8 [Nov. 1978]:40-43). One practical purpose of the recommend interview is to help the applicant be adequately prepared to commit to the way of life the temple covenants will require.

I don't ask that you agree with everything, that is not my place to make those choices for you, but I do ask that you respect my beliefs and the beliefs ofothers here on NT and the people know and come in contact with.

my bf is heavily religious and i have no set religion... we had the future talk and he won't marry someone that "isn't on the same page" as himself...
smile.gif
tru.
he's been tru some things lately which made him change his mind about our relationship ... so idk... we'll see

Originally Posted by HarlemKickDiva

smile.gif

As her friend....dude that will NEVER happen....trust me
LOL
you know me too well
smile.gif

I think it's important if religion is important to you.

I am Muslim, and I would like my children to be brought up as such as well.

Even besides that, I think faith plays a huge role in your life. It's not something you can just avoid forever; conflicts will probably arise sooner orlater.

Depends on the religion of the other person and how they feel about passing it on to potential children.

it appears that those of Muslim faith are much stricter about this than those of other faiths

would any Muslims here date outside of their religions?

Originally Posted by TH0MAS CR0WN

it appears that those of Muslim faith are much stricter about this than those of other faiths

I know some would.
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Why are you asking all these questions?
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Seems it would be a waste of time. Hazel said she would do it again but she couldn't marry someone who wasn't Muslim so why bother cuz you never reallyknow if the relationship has potential to be that serious or not til it gets there.

I let a girl now from the jump. If she cant accept she can keep it moving. But if her religion interferes with my life drastically I'm not having it.

I'm black and catholic, in St. Louis... It's kind of hard to find, I don't think religionwould play to big of a role. As long as they believe in something....

NO Lavayian satanist though...
tongue.gif

[color= rgb(255, 0, 0)]2000 POSTS AND NO SUSPENSIONS! I'M DOING BETTER!
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
[/color]

I'm black I don't have a religion other than religiously calling myself GOD. I mess with the Buddhist way of life they got a lot of good ideals imo,all religions have a good moral message though it's the other stuff I can't jive with. The fam are the type of Christians who go to church every bluemoon(my father not at all) but are quick to defend their religion if they feel offended or w/e.

When a relationship starts it doesn't mean anything to me. I usually worry if the girl feels offended or if she tries to push her beliefs on me, a lot ofgirls think they can honestly convert me. I'll only pull a George Costanza for the girl not the religion. It's not all that important to me butit's always different on the other side. If marriage is in the future I'd be fine with going to City Hall and letting them do it or w/e the legalprocedure is, wouldn't take Vegas out of the equation either.

It is not only people of the Muslim faith whose families tend to be really strict /more strict about inter-faith relationships. I have a lot ofChristian Arab friends, and their traditional views are just as the same as traditional Arab Muslim views. I know a lot of Sikh and Hindu individuals who comefrom families who are also very strict about interfaith relationships. It all comes down to family and how they practice their customs and traditions when itcomes to religion, and it differs from family to family. The more liberal they are, the more chances there are that they would not mind interfaithmarriages/relationships as much.

As I have previously stated in this thread, I would date outside the religion, as I have only dated outside my background. I consider my identity as Muslim,because it is ingrained in me and I was raised that way, but I am Agnostic. So, you can say I am not really Muslim since I do not practice, but I do sometimesstill identity as being Muslim.

political party > religious beliefs in a relationship imo...

just because politics bring up more conflict more often.

I would date outside of my religion, but I don't know what would happen when it came down to raising a child though. That would be an interesting talk anddecision.

i can understand why it might be important to some but to me, i could care less. who am i to try and change someone elses religious preference just so they canbe with me, and i know i'm not going to change my beliefs just to cater to someone else.

plain and simple i have no problem respecting someone elses religious beliefs if i were in a relationship with them, and i would hope that person would havethe same tolerance towards me, i wouldn't try and throw my religion on them and i wouldn't want them to do the same to me.

i would be open to learning about their religion so i could get an understanding of it but thats about it.

raising children would be a whole different monster though, i would probably try and keep religion out of the childs life until their old enough to understandit themselves and then just respect whatever religion they choose.

Very important. Hows a satanist going to be with a committed christian and vice versa? I'm not religious at all, and thankfully no guy i've liked hasever been either.

Depends on how serious the relationship is.

I'm an atheist and so is my family so religion is not an issue they stress. My boyfriend comes from 1/2 Roman Catholic and 1/2 Christian family but he isnot religious, so we are in the clear. But honestly if he was religious I would have an issue when marriage comes around, and I'm sure he'd have anissue with me being an atheist too.

How important is Religion to you in a relationship?
Would you date outside of your religion?
Would your family accept it? Certain religions/families more strict about it than others?

Christians? Muslims? Buddhists? hi?

-I wouldn't want to say that it doesn't play a role in a relationship, but it would be somewhere on the bottom of my list.

-Would I?, Yeah I would, and I have many/numerous of times.

-I'm sure they wouldn't mind, but I know they would rather have me bring as Asian home.

-I'm Buddhist by the way.

Back
Top Bottom