How much money, is enough money ?

Originally Posted by LosALMIGHTY

Originally Posted by Anthony Stark

People would be satisfied with 100k a year, really?

100k?!

if you can't live on $100k a year, you're doing something wrong. Seriously.

I never said that you couldn't, that number just isn't all that appealing to me.

100k?!

I never said that you couldn't, that number just isn't all that appealing to me.

Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman

[h3][/h3]
[h3]How much money, is enough money ? [/h3]

laugh.gif

You are a FOOL Patrick Bateman

100k?!

then im doing something wrong.

props to you man for being able to budget and still get by, especially living in a city with the highest cost of living in the country.

100k?!

then im doing something wrong.

props to you man for being able to budget and still get by, especially living in a city with the highest cost of living in the country.

It doesn't matter who works "harder" The means aren't justifying the ends when it comes to labors correlation to wealth. If your job is more important you automatically have more value.

The president of a company is already more important than the janitor in the company building or the guy that works in the carrier department of the company or the low level blue collar worker in there. Those ppl are cogs. The president already has the academic credentials he has worked for to be qualified for the job.

What incentive does anyone have on pursuing a higher education if they'll only be getting paid $10 more than the janitor? If some country went through with that economic plan the country would die within the decade cuz all would be doctors would either leave or give up and be butchers and mailmen.

Now if you want to talk about the entitled and privileged and those with an inheritance that's one obvious problem in the discussion but it is NOT an issue that dominates this argument.

It doesn't matter who works "harder" The means aren't justifying the ends when it comes to labors correlation to wealth. If your job is more important you automatically have more value.

The president of a company is already more important than the janitor in the company building or the guy that works in the carrier department of the company or the low level blue collar worker in there. Those ppl are cogs. The president already has the academic credentials he has worked for to be qualified for the job.

What incentive does anyone have on pursuing a higher education if they'll only be getting paid $10 more than the janitor? If some country went through with that economic plan the country would die within the decade cuz all would be doctors would either leave or give up and be butchers and mailmen.

Now if you want to talk about the entitled and privileged and those with an inheritance that's one obvious problem in the discussion but it is NOT an issue that dominates this argument.

if you're goal in life is to be rich, and your values in life revolve around money, then I can guarantee that you will never truly be happy in life and greed will always leave you aiming for more. If there is one thing that I have begun to reflect on more and more lately in life, it's that one can only really gain true happiness if you value the fundamental things in life like relationships, friends and interpersonal relations, good health, and passions/hobbies. And I say this as a dentistry student who's gonna be in a lucrative career. Take from that what you will, but hopefully some of you will one day see what I'm trying to say if you don't already

if you're goal in life is to be rich, and your values in life revolve around money, then I can guarantee that you will never truly be happy in life and greed will always leave you aiming for more. If there is one thing that I have begun to reflect on more and more lately in life, it's that one can only really gain true happiness if you value the fundamental things in life like relationships, friends and interpersonal relations, good health, and passions/hobbies. And I say this as a dentistry student who's gonna be in a lucrative career. Take from that what you will, but hopefully some of you will one day see what I'm trying to say if you don't already

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Society would function a lot better if the top person in a company could only make certain amount more than the lowest paid worker.  It doesn't help the world having someone sitting on $100 million dollars.
goin off on a tanget here but i couldn't disagree more with this statement.  the beauty of capitalism in its purest form is that the sky is the limit and you can reap the benefits of the hard work you put in.  why would anyone be motivated to outwork the next person if they are capped on how much money they are allowed to make?  on the flip side, why should the low level ri-tard scrubbin toilets be entitled to 1/100th or hell... even 1/1000th of what the top level guy makes, when his real value in terms of contribution to the business is maybe 1/100,000,000th of the president?  all this talk of cappin earning potential, or sharing the wealth with the common man is a cop out and excuse for the common man not to work hard and still get his.

for people saying they would be straight with a $100K salary for the rest of their lives, you must live in a part of the country with a very favorable cost of living and not have any dependents.  by no means am i rich or live a lavish lifestyle, but my wife and i bring in collectively $160K a year and after mortgage, bills, car payments, insurance, incidentals, 401k and IRA contributions, paltry savings contributions, etc.. etc... we pretty much living paycheck to paycheck.  I bet half of NT drives a nicer car than me, has more shoes and clothes in their closet, bigger retirement funds, and more.  If my wife were to get pregnant tomorrow, I would probably have to take a night job to help cover some of the additional costs.  $100K in LA does not go that far at all.

And there is the misconception...That rich people work harder than everybody else.  I prolly grew up more fortunate than almost everybody on this sight and that is just not true.  The hardest working people are often the poorest, the ones who work 2 jobs "scrubbing toilets" as you say to make end meat.  When your rich, life comes easy.  I've seen so many of my peers **** up so many times but guess what, there daddy is rich and they will always have a safety net than ends with at least a 6 figure salary.    If those kids were in any different situation they would be dead or in jail.  Capitalism just allows the rich to stay rich and the poor to stay poor.  In capitalism, there is no open market, wealth disparities only worsen as time goes along.  There is a reason the middle class has all but dissapered in this country.  We have a country which doesn't now protect the interests of the average citizen but big corporations, which really only protect the interests of a few hundred people.

Maybe because you are middle-class you have a fantsay that rich people are rich deservedly so...that's the case about 5% of the time.  You are talking about sky's the limit, but that's a fantasy.  The American Dream of getting rich is no different than the lottery, it gives those who have little some fantastical idea of being king, but in reality that is not true.  Why wouldn't you want a system that could inflate your 160K that you and your wife share into 250K???

I wouldnt want a system that would inflate my $160K to $250K.  My pay should be commensurate with the output I produce.  If I think I am being underpaid for my services, it is my option to leave and seek employment and better pay elsewhere.  If I was producing the exact same as I am now and all of a sudden a "system" came around that forced my employer to pay me more (potentially at his expense) not only is that unfair, but it is extremely inefficient and wasteful.

You are correct in that the rich are not always working harder than the poor, but just because it is not an absolute does not mean that it is not the case more often than not.  You are right that in most cases, the rich stay rich.  That is because someone on the front end had to find a way to create that wealth to begin with.  If someone works hard to amass a huge fortune, who are we to say how he can spend it?  If that rich person wants to hand his riches down to his children and their children so that they can live a hedonistic gluttonous life, that is his choice to do so.  Its his money, he earned it.  God willing I can continue to work hard, climb the corporate ladder, make that money so that my future children and future generations can reap the benefits of my labor.

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

Society would function a lot better if the top person in a company could only make certain amount more than the lowest paid worker.  It doesn't help the world having someone sitting on $100 million dollars.
goin off on a tanget here but i couldn't disagree more with this statement.  the beauty of capitalism in its purest form is that the sky is the limit and you can reap the benefits of the hard work you put in.  why would anyone be motivated to outwork the next person if they are capped on how much money they are allowed to make?  on the flip side, why should the low level ri-tard scrubbin toilets be entitled to 1/100th or hell... even 1/1000th of what the top level guy makes, when his real value in terms of contribution to the business is maybe 1/100,000,000th of the president?  all this talk of cappin earning potential, or sharing the wealth with the common man is a cop out and excuse for the common man not to work hard and still get his.

for people saying they would be straight with a $100K salary for the rest of their lives, you must live in a part of the country with a very favorable cost of living and not have any dependents.  by no means am i rich or live a lavish lifestyle, but my wife and i bring in collectively $160K a year and after mortgage, bills, car payments, insurance, incidentals, 401k and IRA contributions, paltry savings contributions, etc.. etc... we pretty much living paycheck to paycheck.  I bet half of NT drives a nicer car than me, has more shoes and clothes in their closet, bigger retirement funds, and more.  If my wife were to get pregnant tomorrow, I would probably have to take a night job to help cover some of the additional costs.  $100K in LA does not go that far at all.

And there is the misconception...That rich people work harder than everybody else.  I prolly grew up more fortunate than almost everybody on this sight and that is just not true.  The hardest working people are often the poorest, the ones who work 2 jobs "scrubbing toilets" as you say to make end meat.  When your rich, life comes easy.  I've seen so many of my peers **** up so many times but guess what, there daddy is rich and they will always have a safety net than ends with at least a 6 figure salary.    If those kids were in any different situation they would be dead or in jail.  Capitalism just allows the rich to stay rich and the poor to stay poor.  In capitalism, there is no open market, wealth disparities only worsen as time goes along.  There is a reason the middle class has all but dissapered in this country.  We have a country which doesn't now protect the interests of the average citizen but big corporations, which really only protect the interests of a few hundred people.

Maybe because you are middle-class you have a fantsay that rich people are rich deservedly so...that's the case about 5% of the time.  You are talking about sky's the limit, but that's a fantasy.  The American Dream of getting rich is no different than the lottery, it gives those who have little some fantastical idea of being king, but in reality that is not true.  Why wouldn't you want a system that could inflate your 160K that you and your wife share into 250K???

I wouldnt want a system that would inflate my $160K to $250K.  My pay should be commensurate with the output I produce.  If I think I am being underpaid for my services, it is my option to leave and seek employment and better pay elsewhere.  If I was producing the exact same as I am now and all of a sudden a "system" came around that forced my employer to pay me more (potentially at his expense) not only is that unfair, but it is extremely inefficient and wasteful.

You are correct in that the rich are not always working harder than the poor, but just because it is not an absolute does not mean that it is not the case more often than not.  You are right that in most cases, the rich stay rich.  That is because someone on the front end had to find a way to create that wealth to begin with.  If someone works hard to amass a huge fortune, who are we to say how he can spend it?  If that rich person wants to hand his riches down to his children and their children so that they can live a hedonistic gluttonous life, that is his choice to do so.  Its his money, he earned it.  God willing I can continue to work hard, climb the corporate ladder, make that money so that my future children and future generations can reap the benefits of my labor.

I sincerely hope that some of you guys are just messing around and are not being serious.

You have to make the money work for you, too many of you are working for the money, and will be for a VERY long time.

B.M.F.
grin.gif

I sincerely hope that some of you guys are just messing around and are not being serious.

You have to make the money work for you, too many of you are working for the money, and will be for a VERY long time.

B.M.F.
grin.gif

damn if you got 1 million and aren't set for life, you must be doing something wrong, unless your in NYC or L.A. where the cost of living is so much more

with 1 million I'll open my own business and buy some old house's and fix them up and rent them out, and never have to work under some one else ever again

With just 200,000 K you can get a house down payment and a nice car in the suburbs

damn if you got 1 million and aren't set for life, you must be doing something wrong, unless your in NYC or L.A. where the cost of living is so much more

with 1 million I'll open my own business and buy some old house's and fix them up and rent them out, and never have to work under some one else ever again

With just 200,000 K you can get a house down payment and a nice car in the suburbs

[h3][/h3]

laugh.gif

smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
why everytime i see my son Product, he always got a new screen name? 
laugh.gif

and I'd be set off a good 25mil a year if we're talking millionaire numbers. a consistent 25 mil yearly is enough for me to be out of control but yet still secure.

but in reality, why would you strive for just enough? you gotta go for it all... its never enough... 

[h3][/h3]

laugh.gif

smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif
why everytime i see my son Product, he always got a new screen name? 
laugh.gif

and I'd be set off a good 25mil a year if we're talking millionaire numbers. a consistent 25 mil yearly is enough for me to be out of control but yet still secure.

but in reality, why would you strive for just enough? you gotta go for it all... its never enough... 

Back
Top Bottom