I WANT TO ENCOURAGE A MORE CONSTRUCTIVE DISCUSSION OVER RACE RELATIONS ON NT

:lol:

Yeah, I'm bowing out on that note.

Yup. We right back to square one and Ninja is still talking crazy.

This dude thinks cuz of both of his parents are Dominican that means he's not black latino. He's just wiping away the fact that Dominicans have deep African roots. From skin color to facial features. The boy is either lost or self hating. Either way he's content in his thinking. So just let him live in his lil fantasy world.

I brought it up because this is a piece of the information I track on a regular basis for about 15000 residents in New York City Housing Authority developments. Residents self declare race and ethnicity, so I have a fair understanding of the topic at hand.

I'm not sure if the designatons change depending on where you look, so I'm letting you all know where I'm working from.

Approx, How many hispanics/Latino check black as opposed to white?

A problem is that a growing percentage of Americans don’t select a race category provided on the form: As many as 6.2% of census respondents selected only “some other race” in the 2010 census, the vast majority of whom were Hispanic.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...nges-in-how-it-asks-about-race-and-ethnicity/

How CLEARER can this get???

Last edited:
I brought it up because this is a piece of the information I track on a regular basis for about 15000 residents in New York City Housing Authority developments. Residents self declare race and ethnicity, so I have a fair understanding of the topic at hand.

I'm not sure if the designatons change depending on where you look, so I'm letting you all know where I'm working from.

A problem is that a growing percentage of Americans don’t select a race category provided on the form: As many as 6.2% of census respondents selected only “some other race” in the 2010 census, the vast majority of whom were Hispanic.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...nges-in-how-it-asks-about-race-and-ethnicity/

How CLEARER can this get???

So, since I'm at work with lots of time on my hands, I did a little filtering on one of the development speadsheets I'm using.

In a development with a total population of 1677 people in The Bronx, 9% identified as both Black and Hispanic or Latino. 39% identified as White and Hispanic or Latino.

This is a sample of 827 people who identified as Hispanic or Latino.

Last edited:
Yup. We right back to square one and Ninja is still talking crazy.

This dude thinks cuz of both of his parents are Dominican that means he's not black latino. He's just wiping away the fact that Dominicans have deep African roots. From skin color to facial features. The boy is either lost or self hating. Either way he's content in his thinking. So just let him live in his lil fantasy world.
+1. 

So, since I'm at work with lots of time on my hands, I did a little filtering on one of the development speadsheets I'm using.

In a development with a total population of 1677 people in The Bronx, 9% identified as both Black and Hispanic or Latino. 39% identified as White and Hispanic Latino.
To put things in perspective....75.8% of Puerto Ricans identify as white.
laugh.gif
This is why it blows my mind that people like ninjahood blow it odd as some kind of misnomer.

To put things in perspective....75.8% of Puerto Ricans identify as white. :lol:

You got your work cut out for you brah. :lol:

Was lucky enough that there was always "other" for these type of forms. It wasn't until recently that I had apply for a mortgage that there wasn't other. My mortgage officer said he has to fill it out according to what he sees in front of him. He put in white. He said he looks forward to the day he files for a transgender. Was weird as hell. I just don't identify as white.

Last edited:
I think it's the way we identify ourselves in America exclusively Anton....because back in our home countries there is no need to redundantly identify as a Latino, so there often times if you are dark skinned, you will be labeled, Moreno, negro, etc if you are lightskinned you would be labeled blanco, or the term mono is usually used in Colombia for someone of fair skinned/blonde hair

However in America where there are soooooo many different cultures mixed in together we tend to want to identify not often by color but by our Latino ethnicity...because black usually goes hand in hand with African-Americans here in the state....I think that's what NH is trying to say.

Just looking at this thread again since Friday :wow: :rofl: Hilarious, but pretty sad at the same time :x :smh:

I hope that some of you were able to go outside and enjoy the beautiful weather we had this past weekend. There are beautiful women and people of all races coexisting out there in the real world. No one approached my gf to ask her if she identifies as black, native American, or other on the census. What a relief.

Last edited:
I actually have an aunt who has very light skin and was nicknamed "Mona" since childhood to this day, that's what we call her on my fathers side, then on my moms side I've mentioned this before, I have an uncle who is a little darker than NH and he was nicknamed "Negro" since childhood...so yes back home we don't push the Latino label at all because is redundant info that goes without saying, but here I feel black, white, Latino, Asian are used appropriately to identify each of our cultures and ourselves, because we are all living amongst each other.

To put things in perspective....75.8% of Puerto Ricans identify as white.
laugh.gif
You got your work cut out for you brah.
laugh.gif

Was lucky enough that there was always "other" for these type of forms. It wasn't until recently that I had apply for a mortgage that there wasn't other. My mortgage officer said he has to fill it out according to what he sees in front of him. He put in white. He said he looks forward to the day he files for a transgender. Was weird as hell. I just don't identify as white.
I agree. The data is flawed because of the constraints and the fact that this data collection isn't used for the sole purpose of understanding racial and ethnic lines.

But it is a small look at things.

And for the record, residents are allowed to not respond. There is a 'Did Not Respond' option for that case.

Last edited:
At this point? Anton & co trollin...i post pewresearch articles on why da census was changed for da upcoming 2020 because MOST hispanics chose "some other race" instead of choosing white or black...i posted references of people making distinctions between being african american & latin american because black & african American in da US are used interchangeably..

I posted rappers, athletes, celebs, etc. Who are are self described ½ black & ½ hispanic/latino by way of puerto rico..

Everyone & everything outside NT subscribes to this, da United States Government & Major League being da biggest honest arbiter.

At this point there's nothing else left to talk about it.

I hope I don't fall into 'and co' because I am far from trolling. I just posted real data that I have tracked since 2010 here.
I posted rappers, athletes, celebs, etc. Who are are self described ½ black & ½ hispanic/latino by way of puerto rico..
That's all anecdotal evidence. Post a study of a large sample of rappers, athletes and celebs and you'd have an easier time defending your point.

Last edited:
.7% of the people who identified as Hispanic or Latino identified as either American Indian/Alaskan Native or Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander.

So roughly half identified as black/ white and the rest put other race and latino? Interesting...NH needs to go have a talk with his peeps. If we're talking just this sample that doesn't seem like most.

Last edited:
I hope I don't fall into 'and co' because I am far from trolling. I just posted real data that I have tracked since 2010 here.
I posted rappers, athletes, celebs, etc. Who are are self described ½ black

That's all anecdotal evidence. Post a study of a large sample of rappers, athletes and celebs and you'd have an easier time defending your point.

Da MLB is anecdotal? :smh: :lol:

And i told u 2010 census form was updated for 2020 cuz da fact that sooo many Hispanics chose other race and NOT white & black.

Yo harlem, read this.

Mexican,’ ‘Hispanic,’ ‘Latin American’ top list of race write-ins on the 2010 censusOn the 2010 census form,

in addition to boxes marked “white,” “black or African Am. Or Negro” or “American Indian or Native Alaskan” or one of several Asian options, respondents have the option to select a box called “some other race”—and to write in a response in a box below.

Hispanics' "some other race" write-in codesAccording to a new Census report released last week, about one-third of the 47.4 million self-identified Hispanics chose “some other race” when describing their racial identity.
Among them, 44.3% wrote in Mexican, Mexican American or Mexico in the box provided. An additional 22.7% wrote in Hispanic or Hispano or Hispana as their race and another 10.0% wrote in Latin American or Latino or Latin.

Latinos are not the only group of Americans who utilize the “some other race” category on the census form—but they are the most likely to do so. In 2010, 6.2% of Americans selected “some other race,” up from 5.5% in 2000. Among all those who answered the race question this way in 2010, 96.8% were Hispanic, little changed from 2000. In addition to the race question, the 2010 census included a separate question about Hispanic origin. It is currently the only ethnic category included in the census and has been asked of all households on census forms since 1980.

“Some Other Race” Responses by Hispanic Origin Group in 2010The new Census Bureau report also detailed “some other race” responses by Hispanic origin groups. About 43.4% of Guatemalan origin Hispanics selected the category, as did 42.9% of Salvadorans and 37.7% of Hondurans, the three highest shares among Hispanic origin groups. By contrast, just 5.2% of Cubans, 8.1% of Argentineans and 8.9% of Uruguayans selected “some other race.”

These findings are consistent with Pew Research Center surveys on Latinos and their views of their identity. Most prefer to be identified by their country of origin, such as Mexican, Dominican or Guatemalan. When it comes to reporting their race, about half of Latinos in our surveys choose “some other race” or volunteer “Hispanic or Latino” as their race. Latinos also largely express no preference for the pan-ethnic terms “Hispanic” or “Latino.” But among those with a preference, “Hispanic” is preferred over “Latino” by a two-to-one margin.

The “some other race” option in the census form’s race question was never intended to be a category selected by so many respondents. The category was added to the 1980 census form to capture the small numbers of people who did not select one of the official race categories. But since then, it has grown to become the third-largest race category in the census.

The Census Bureau is currently researching how to reverse the growing percentage of Americans who choose “some other race,” including options combining all race and ethnic options into a single question. In focus groups, Americans have said they’re unsure of how to identify themselves on census forms, which has partly led to growth in the use of the “some other race” category. Census racial and ethnic data help determine how congressional districts are drawn, how $400 billion in federal aid is distributed and enforcement of civil rights laws.

The National Institute for Latino Policy and many scholars have raised the possibility that the use of the “some other race” category by Hispanics is a “legitimate response to U.S. definitions of race that do not apply to the experience (of) many Latinos,” rather than a sign that Hispanics are struggling to answer the question.

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...op-list-of-race-write-ins-on-the-2010-census/

Last edited:
So roughly half identified as black/ white and the rest put other race and latino? Interesting...NH needs to go have a talk with his peeps. If we're talking just this sample that doesn't seem like most.

Just to be clear
HTTB is using NYCHA stats. NH is using da census stats.

I didn't say you self-identified as white, I just found it interesting that 75.8 percent of puerto ricans consider themselves white. :lol: Especially considering the fact that Puerto Rico was founded as a community for free African slaves.

Latinos don't have a problem checking that white box it seems. :rofl:

Just say it how you want to say bro, at this point is clear you consider every Latino to be a racist....that's what you want...stop beating around the bush.

We hate black people.....

:smh:

I didn't say you self-identified as white, I just found it interesting that 75.8 percent of puerto ricans consider themselves white. :lol: Especially considering the fact that Puerto Rico was founded as a community for free African slaves.

Latinos don't have a problem checking that white box it seems. :rofl:

Just say it how you want to say bro, at this point is clear you consider every Latino to be a racist....that's what you want...stop beating around the bush.

We hate black people.....

:smh:

Products of your environment b. They're not the only ethnicity that hates black people. Hell, even some black people hate black people; guess it's good company :rolleyes

Back
Top Bottom