is it Really Not OK to Not Know who Paul McCarteny Is???

Originally Posted by MonStar1

I can see valid point from both sides.  And I can see some analogies that are close but not exact.

Bottomline is music, TV, movies are cultural.  If you've ever been in an interacial relationship you would know that somethings that are "not ok to not know" are completely foreign to others.  Like dudes said when they grew up they heard songs from a whole different genre.  In the car, from parents, grandparents, BBQs, etc. 

The Beatles were huge but remember The Beatles are bigger than Paul.  I'm sure everybody has heard of the Beatles but not this dude by name.  That understandable.  This isn't just a culture thing but an age thing.  The dude is old. Real old. and he's part of a group.  NTers have to realize that most people don't get on messageboards or google everything.  Alot of people just don't do these things.  Like dude said people live in a "bubble".  When we come on NT or other boards we are forced to step out our bubble.  People didn't know who MIA was in that Super Bowl thread.  Now they do.

Now I didn't want to say this but I will.  White people have a bad habit of thinking that "their" culture is whats important and other peoples culture is smaller or less important.  This was discussed in the Black History Month thread.  As a white person you don't have to know about or learn anybody elses culture because yours is the only one that matters.  White kids don't know who Earth, Wind, and Fire is.  The Isley Brothers? pssh yeah right. They can go through school, college, get married, have kids and die at age 85 without ever having to know about other cultures.  As minorities in America we can't do that.  Depending where you grow up you might not get exposed to certain things. 

And whats this "music fan" talk?  Man even though alot of ya'll are diverse most of ya'll listen to the same music 90% of the time and then dabble in other music every now and then.  If your iTunes has AC/DC, Nirvana, Rick Ross, Sade, Elvis, and Kem then you have to realize you are in a small % of people so stop being a snob.
I'll admit it, this is lowkey why I made the thread.
laugh.gif

A lot of Americans really think their culture is the only one that matters when really it's just one of many in their own country, not to mention the world.

I'd be disappointed if a grown man had never heard of EWF or The Temptations, or the Isley Brothers (three bands that are of more importance and have had more of an impact in MY music culture) but I'm not gonna be calling them ignorant and disregarding their opinion if they can't name Maurice White by name.

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Why are we treating Maradona as on par with Paul McCartney? Completely different ballparks of fame. 
LOL go anywhere south of the U.S. border and tell them Maradona isn't on McCartney's level when it comes to fame. Got to Italy and get laughed at while you're at it.

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

I can see valid point from both sides.  And I can see some analogies that are close but not exact.

Bottomline is music, TV, movies are cultural.  If you've ever been in an interacial relationship you would know that somethings that are "not ok to not know" are completely foreign to others.  Like dudes said when they grew up they heard songs from a whole different genre.  In the car, from parents, grandparents, BBQs, etc. 

The Beatles were huge but remember The Beatles are bigger than Paul.  I'm sure everybody has heard of the Beatles but not this dude by name.  That understandable.  This isn't just a culture thing but an age thing.  The dude is old. Real old. and he's part of a group.  NTers have to realize that most people don't get on messageboards or google everything.  Alot of people just don't do these things.  Like dude said people live in a "bubble".  When we come on NT or other boards we are forced to step out our bubble.  People didn't know who MIA was in that Super Bowl thread.  Now they do.

Now I didn't want to say this but I will.  White people have a bad habit of thinking that "their" culture is whats important and other peoples culture is smaller or less important.  This was discussed in the Black History Month thread.  As a white person you don't have to know about or learn anybody elses culture because yours is the only one that matters.  White kids don't know who Earth, Wind, and Fire is.  The Isley Brothers? pssh yeah right. They can go through school, college, get married, have kids and die at age 85 without ever having to know about other cultures.  As minorities in America we can't do that.  Depending where you grow up you might not get exposed to certain things. 

And whats this "music fan" talk?  Man even though alot of ya'll are diverse most of ya'll listen to the same music 90% of the time and then dabble in other music every now and then.  If your iTunes has AC/DC, Nirvana, Rick Ross, Sade, Elvis, and Kem then you have to realize you are in a small % of people so stop being a snob.
laugh.gif

A lot of Americans really think their culture is the only one that matters when really it's just one of many in their own country, not to mention the world.

I'd be disappointed if a grown man had never heard of EWF or The Temptations, or the Isley Brothers (three bands that are of more importance and have had more of an impact in MY music culture) but I'm not gonna be calling them ignorant and disregarding their opinion if they can't name Maurice White by name.

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Why are we treating Maradona as on par with Paul McCartney? Completely different ballparks of fame. 
LOL go anywhere south of the U.S. border and tell them Maradona isn't on McCartney's level when it comes to fame. Got to Italy and get laughed at while you're at it.

its always based on race nationalities and social status. same way i had black fans who didnt know who is the white chic who sings on the nfl monday night intro... same as some of my white friends didnt know who don was... doesnt make either party so called stupid or ignorant... just product of environment.

MonStar1 wrote:

laugh.gif

It was not low key it was pretty obvious
laugh.gif

But I agree with you.

I completely agree with Monstar on that "bubble", everyday a song gets referenced on here an Im like "what song is that"

Didnt know who "the weekend" was or "based god" before I this site.

My parents weren't born here, but they came in their teens all they know is MJ, Whitney,Gloria estafan and uncle luke.

They dont know Paul McCartney 

bruh, ew&f and the isley bros are music legends, but there are only 2 or 3 music artists on the level of the beetles. beetlemania was something that took over the world, not just america. non whites not knowing the beatles is like whites not knowing muhammad ali. you dont have to know who roberto duran is, but to not know of, or least recognize the name muhammad ali would be surprising.

Originally Posted by LDJ

its always based on race nationalities and social status. same way i had black fans who didnt know who is the white chic who sings on the nfl monday night intro... same as some of my white friends didnt know who don was... doesnt make either party so called stupid or ignorant... just product of environment.
Damn I have no idea who the NFL intro girl is. I don't even feel bad about that one she's trash.

edit: and as one idiot NTer so eloquently mentioned earlier in the thread, if you're of the former party you must be from some $@$* whole slum or third world country.
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by kbweezy24

bruh, ew&f and the isley bros are music legends, but there are only 2 or 3 music artists on the level of the beetles. beetlemania was something that took over the world, not just america. non whites not knowing the beatles is like whites not knowing muhammad ali. you dont have to know who roberto duran is, but to not know of, or least recognize the name muhammad ali would be surprising.
Dude I'm fairly familiar with the Beatles. I know a few of their biggest songs, I could easily paint a mental picture of the cover of Abbey Road. I'm not a fan but I can definitely appreciate the scope and magnitude of their music.

I didn't not know who The Beatles are. It's just the only member I knew by name was John Lennon.

But that's not the arguement.  NOBODY is saying they don't know The Beatles.  They are saying they don't know him by name.  Thats big difference.  His name alone doesn't ring bell anymore like it used to.  That's life.

Originally Posted by LDJ

Damn I have no idea who the NFL intro girl is. I don't even feel bad about that one she's trash.

edit: and as one idiot NTer so eloquently mentioned earlier in the thread, if you're of the former party you must be from some $@$* whole slum or third world country.
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif

faith hill and you saying she is trash.... that girl has some chops plus she is kinda hot

Originally Posted by LDJ

faith hill and you saying she is trash.... that girl has some chops plus she is kinda hot
Trash was harsh and honestly I'm not even qualified to say, I don't listen to country thus I don't know anything about it.

Should have said she's not my cup of tea.

Originally Posted by shoefreakbaby

MonStar1 wrote:

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

But I agree with you.

I completely agree with Monstar on that "bubble", everyday a song gets referenced on here an Im like "what song is that"

My parents weren't born here, but they came in their teens all they know is MJ, Whitney,Gloria estafan and uncle luke.

kinda like that thread we had about where booty call or friends with benefits came from and i just thought seeing as everyone and they momma uses it would know bill bellamy made it up yet it took like 12 pages and folks still didnt know. like i said ask avg person have they heard of bling bling... sure then say name the members of cash money good majority would be dumb donald.. 

If you consider yourself a well rounded fan of music or if you claim to listen to a wide variety of musical genres and you don't know Paul McCartney then its not OK. If you're more of a niche person (i.e only like one or two genres) then its OK not to know him.

Originally Posted by ATLsFinest

If you consider yourself a well rounded fan of music or if you claim to listen to a wide variety of musical genres and you don't know Paul McCartney then its not OK.

But that's not the arguement.  NOBODY is saying they don't know The Beatles.  They are saying they don't know him by name.  Thats big difference.  His name alone doesn't ring bell anymore like it used to.  That's life.

true, my mistake. but i still think if you know who the yankees are, you recognize the names babe ruth, mickey mantle etc- whether youre a fan of the yankees or not. but yes, i agree Paul's name doesnt resonate like it used to

Originally Posted by PLVN

If you consider yourself a well rounded fan of music or if you claim to listen to a wide variety of musical genres and you don't know Paul McCartney then its not OK
I consider myself very well rounded fan of music. I'm sittin on 160GB of music on my laptop, a lot it's rap, a lot of it's not rap.

Nas, Roy Hargrove, Clint Mansell, Daft Punk, Stevie Wonder, all artist with hundreds of plays in my itunes, meaning I actually listen to them, they're not just sittin there taking up gigs.

I learned a long long time ago that there will never be a shortage of GREAT new music to discover. The biggest problem is finding the time to get to it all.

Maybe you guys really mean a well rounded music historian.

*shrug*

Originally Posted by PLVN

If you consider yourself a well rounded fan of music or if you claim to listen to a wide variety of musical genres and you don't know Paul McCartney then its not OK
I consider myself very well rounded fan of music. I'm sittin on 160GB of music on my laptop, a lot it's rap, a lot of it's not rap.

Nas, Roy Hargrove, Clint Mansell, Daft Punk, Stevie Wonder, all artist with hundreds of plays in my itunes, meaning I actually listen to them, they're not just sittin there taking up gigs.

I learned a long long time ago that there will never be a shortage of GREAT new music to discover. The biggest problem is finding the time to get to it all.

Maybe you guys really mean a well rounded music historian.

*shrug*

yea i listen to some artist in amazement of the lyrics and ability... just like i said listening to whitney im like how the likes of a brittany spears etc get praised... like have ppl listened to her before same with folks like prince brian mcknight the ability to play 20 or so instruments and arrange/compose score write most of your music

laugh.gif
to be honest a couple years ago I would have been calling these people idiots but now i'll just say no big deal. Unless you plan to make a living with music history, it doesn't really matter just like everything else (sports, fashion, movies)

Paul's relevance will decrease with age just like most other things, but don't worry, he's already engraved in the history books for what he contributed to music. I bet there's plenty of blues artists that are just as important in music history and paved the way for Paul to do what he did but I can't even list out any because the blues from that era was not relevant in my life.

Originally Posted by NinerFaithful

Paul's relevance will decrease with age just like most other things, but don't worry, he's already engraved in the history books for what he contributed to music. I bet there's plenty of blues artists that are just as important in music history and paved the way for Paul to do what he did but I can't even list out any because the blues from that era was not relevant in my life.
Great post.

Originally Posted by LDJ

Originally Posted by shoefreakbaby

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

But I agree with you.

kinda like that thread we had about where booty call or friends with benefits came from and i just thought seeing as everyone and they momma uses it would know bill bellamy made it up yet it took like 12 pages and folks still didnt know. like i said ask avg person have they heard of bling bling... sure then say name the members of cash money good majority would be dumb donald.. 

eek.gif

Learn something new everyday, I thought it was jamie fox from that movie with jada "woo"
Now you got me thinking about that one tall/skinny/braids one in cash money he is the only one I cant remember 
laugh.gif

I'm just saying though you never heard the song with Michael Jackson and Paul McCartney? Don't tell me you got it in your library and just don't know it.

Something to note, Paul McCartney wasn't only associated with The Beatles. He also formed the famous band Wings and had a successful solo career later in life.

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

I'm just saying though you never heard the song with Michael Jackson and Paul McCartney? Don't tell me you got it in your library and just don't know it.
I was about to post the same thing.  160 gigs he has to have Thriller in there.  OP probably won't admit it tho.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom