IS NIKETALK NEW LAYOUT TRASH???? THREAD

IS THE LAYOUT TRASH

• Total voters
no ones stressing
me personally
im just tryna get u to see it another way
seems like thats what kingkoopa kingkoopa is doing as well
but ur taking it another way
Here's how I see it. These guys put on a forum that I enjoy and spend a lot of time on. They don't have to do that. I showed my gratitude my donating. I feel like I get way more than $20 worth out of the site. I don't care what they do with the money. I'm confident they aren't using it in a way I wouldn't approve. No ads was just a bonus. I would have thrown them a few dollars without that perk. I just appreciate what they do and that's how I showed my gratitude. Maybe someone else DM's to say thanks. Maybe others don't do anything. That's cool too.

Here's how I see it. These guys put on a forum that I enjoy and spend a lot of time on. They don't have to do that. I showed my gratitude my donating. I feel like I get way more than $20 worth out of the site. I don't care what they do with the money. I'm confident they aren't using it in a way I wouldn't approve. No ads was just a bonus. I would have thrown them a few dollars without that perk. I just appreciate what they do and that's how I showed my gratitude. Maybe someone else DM's to say thanks. Maybe others don't do anything. That's cool too.
excellent post to clarify ur stance

In the same breath as NT doesn't make money.
And where have I said this? It should be easy to find if it’s “in the same breath.”

NikeTalk has donated over $400,000 in ad revenue alone to charity.

Does the site make money? Yes. We couldn't have made those donations otherwise. We couldn't have remained online otherwise.

It's possible that you've confused our past situation with our present one.

For the first seven or so years, when we ran NikeTalk ad free, it simply cost us money. This was unsustainable. The site grew, but the small number of generous people who donated to keep the site online couldn’t pay for the increasing number of users who did not.

We then agreed to run ads out of necessity, but gave every penny that our team could’ve earned from those ads to charity. It left us vulnerable when Yuku sold to an unscrupulous company the drove the network into the ground.

We vowed never to allow that to happen again. So yes, some of the ad revenue does pay for professional services to keep the site online. This has always been the case, we just weren’t handling any of the funds ourselves until leaving Yuku. At the time, it felt “purer” that way, but what it meant in practice was that other companies were deciding how to allocate money made from our community - and they weren’t making good choices. Even then, when not a single cent so much as crossed our palms, cynical malcontents would accuse us of malfeasance anyway.

Today, our community is in a better place because we’ve taken on the responsibilities once delegated to companies who ultimately mismanaged their resources. We chose a software platform independent of a hosting company, server environment, managed service providers, or designers. We work to select the best solutions (and people) we can for each need that faces the community - and we’re delivering substantive updates more frequently as a result.

And yet, even as we continue to reinvest ad revenue into making the experience better and better, we haven’t forgotten about our responsibilities to the greater global community and continue to raise money for important causes.

For almost twenty years now, we’ve tried to do the absolute best we could for everyone who is, or would like to be, a member of the NikeTalk community. We’ve tried to use this opportunity in a responsible, ethical, and socially conscious way. I can't even count the number of times Nelson, our team, and I have gone out of pocket for NikeTalk. We've spent our own money on domain names, ezboard "CSC community gold" subscriptions, food for community meetup events, even some of the hats we sold for charity came out of pocket - and those costs weren't recouped to make the resulting fundraisers more effective. Like parents, we've chosen to make constant, quotidian sacrifices that people will never even know about and routinely take for granted.

Every step of the way, we've had to endure slights from cynics who try to impugn the integrity and character of our staff and our community.

As such, I knew full well that if we wanted to offer an ad free subscription the proportionately small number of users who would like one, we'd be accused of "greed" or impropriety.

NikeTalk isn't moving to a subscription only model. It's always been free to use and will remain so. The free, ad supported service remains the focus - and it's the version of the site I use every single day. We don't subject you to any advertising that we don't also subject ourselves to.

We're not looking to squeeze or gouge anyone. To prove that, we've offered to donate to charity everything we'd receive from these subscriptions less only that percentage deducted from payment processors (e.g. Paypal) before it ever reaches anyone affiliated with the site.

At the end of the year, we'll share the number of subscribers, how much was earned, and where that money went.

If that's not good enough for you, I wonder what products and services you do support, since you've decided not to support ours.

On behalf of the entire team here, I'd like to thank all of you who have chosen to support our community and its goals, either by viewing the ad supported version of the site or helping us raise money for charity as a supporter.

And where have I said this? It should be easy to find if it’s “in the same breath.”

Does the site make money? Yes. We couldn't have made those donations otherwise. We couldn't have remained online otherwise.

For the first seven or so years, when we ran NikeTalk ad free, it simply cost us money. This was unsustainable. The site grew, but the small number of generous people who donated to keep the site online couldn’t pay for the increasing number of users who did not.

We then agreed to run ads out of necessity, but gave every penny that our team could’ve earned from those ads to charity. It left us vulnerable when Yuku sold to an unscrupulous company the drove the network into the ground.

We vowed never to allow that to happen again. So yes, some of the ad revenue does pay for professional services to keep the site online. This has always been the case, we just weren’t handling any of the funds ourselves until leaving Yuku. At the time, it felt “purer” that way, but what it meant in practices was that other companies were deciding how to allocate money made from our community - and they weren’t making good choices. Even then, when not a single cent so much as crossed our palms, cynical malcontents would accuse us of malfeasance anyway.

Today, our community is in a better place because we’ve taken on the responsibilities once delegated to companies who ultimately mismanaged their resources. We chose a software platform independent of a hosting company, server environment, managed service providers, or designers. We work to select the best solutions (and people) we can for each need that faces the community - and we’re delivering substantive updates more frequently as a result.

And yet, even as we continue to reinvest ad revenue into making the experience better and better, we haven’t forgotten about our responsibilities to the greater global community and continue to raise money for important causes.

For almost twenty years now, we’ve tried to do the absolute best we could for everyone who is, or would like to be a member of the NikeTalk community. We’ve tried to use this opportunity as responsible, ethical, and socially conscious way. I can't even count the number of times Nelson, our team, and I have gone out of pocket for NikeTalk. We've spent our own money on domain names, ezboard "CSC community gold" subscriptions, food for community meetup events, even some of the hats we sold for charity came out of pocket - and those costs weren't recouped to make the resulting fundraisers more effective. Like parents, we've chosen to make constant, quotidian sacrifices that people will never even know about and routinely take for granted.

Every step of the way, we've had to endure slights from cynics who try to impugn the integrity and character of our staff and our community.

As such, I knew full well that if we wanted to offer and ad free subscription the proportionately small number of users who would like one, we'd be accused of "greed" or impropriety.

NikeTalk isn't moving to a subscription only model. It's always been free to use and will remain so. The free, ad supported service remains the focus - and it's the version of the site I use every single day. We don't subject you to any advertising that we don't also subject ourselves to.

We're not looking to squeeze or gouge anyone. To prove that, we've offered to donate to charity everything we'd receive from these subscriptions less only that percentage deducted from payment processors (e.g. Paypal) before it ever reaches anyone affiliated with the site.

At the end of the year, we'll share the number of subscribers, how much was earned, and where that money went.

If that's not good enough for you, I wonder what products and services you do support, since you've decided not to support ours.

On behalf of the entire team here, I'd like to thank all of you who have chosen to support our community and its goals, either by viewing the ad supported version of the site or helping us raise money for charity as a supporter.
told yall it was gonna be good

I can dig this.

Like a tip.

There are 2 sides to everything.

I respect your side.

I don't agree with it but I can respect it.

We vowed never to allow that to happen again. So yes, some of the ad revenue does pay for professional services to keep the site online. This has always been the case, we just weren’t handling any of the funds ourselves until leaving Yuku. At the time, it felt “purer” that way, but what it meant in practices was that other companies were deciding how to allocate money made from our community - and they weren’t making good choices. Even then, when not a single cent so much as crossed our palms, cynical malcontents would accuse us of malfeasance anyway.

For almost twenty years now, we’ve tried to do the absolute best we could for everyone who is, or would like to be a member of the NikeTalk community. We’ve tried to use this opportunity as responsible, ethical, and socially conscious way. I can't even count the number of times Nelson, our team, and I have gone out of pocket for NikeTalk. We've spent our own money on domain names, ezboard "CSC community gold" subscriptions, food for community meetup events, even some of the hats we sold for charity came out of pocket - and those costs weren't recouped to make the resulting fundraisers more effective. Like parents, we've chosen to make constant, quotidian sacrifices that people will never even know about and routinely take for granted.

As such, I knew full well that if we wanted to offer and ad free subscription the proportionately small number of users who would like one, we'd be accused of "greed" or impropriety.

I dont want no smoke.

And I thank you for going into more detail about the situation.

But uh if you gone take peoples money, can we have a say on where it goes?

Can you make a monthly or yearly poll where WE Nters can vote on a charity of choice?

Curious on why management decided to give a status badge “supporter”, it’s almost like imposing some elite status.

Hence already folks (even jokingly) talking about “broke boys vs rich boys”.

What about those that donated in the past? Are they qualified for the badge?

Last edited:
Curious on why management decided to give an status badge “supporter”, it’s almost like imposing some elite status.

Hence already folks (even jokingly) talking about “broke boys vs rich boys”.

What about those that donated in the past? Are they qualified for the badge?
Nobody feels elite over a badge
sabu.png

And if they did, wouldn't the joke be on them
sabu.png

I like the update so far, no real issues just something new to get used to. I would like it if only the threads with unread posts would show in my subs though.

Back
Top Bottom