Is Peyton Manning the most overrated qb of all time?

why is this even a argument. Manning and Brady will go down as some of the greatest QBs of all time and both will be first year HOFers

very good job on chester to deflect to tom brady but the thing is Tom Brady doesnt have a rep around the NFL for going ghost in the big games and Peyton does... Which is why this discussion is about Peyton Manning being overated.

Does Peyton's showing on Sunday have him off anybody's top 3, maybe even top 5 QBs of all time?

Did nothing imo still top 3 in my book.

So i ask this.... knowing all you know about Peyton Manning and how he has under performed in big games throughout most of his career... if you needed a QB for one SB win are you honestly picking him top 3 of all the QB's of All time?

Hell Even in the L right Now if i Need a Big Performance from my QB and need a score i'm taking

Brady
Brees
A-Rod
Big Ben
Eli before i'm taking Peyton

This is where my gripe comes in about having him top 5 you can't separate skill set & application of that skillset in big moments.

As far as skill level goes and the ability to do things at the QB position Manning is top 5... however skill set means nothing when you can't utilize it when the games get bigger and bigger. You can't be a top 3 player if people question whether you could have a great game when it's needed the most and this superbowl was the cherry on top for all his other Playoff debacles.

Does Peyton's showing on Sunday have him off anybody's top 3, maybe even top 5 QBs of all time?

easily out of the top 3...it's absolutely ridiculous for people to say, "if peyton manning wins, he potentially is now the GOAT. but if he loses, it doesn't affect him at all." no chance. no with the firepower he had this year. it wasn't like his team was overachieving in getting to the SB. and it's not that he lost. it's how he lost. was absolutely non existent.

now if you already had him as GOAT before the game, then fine. you may still have him there. but for the people (troy aikman) who say a win cements his GOAT status but a loss does nothing....GTHOHWTBS

Tom Brady? He just had his chance at a big performance and failed... against Peyton Manning.
with a severely undermanned team.....w/o 3 of his top receivers from the previous season......they lined up 3   5' 9" or shorter receivers......I've never in my life seen that happen in a NFL game since maybe the vintage days when unitas was playing 
laugh.gif

lets not speak on the defense that was missing their 4-5 best players 

put ANY qb on that team and they wouldn't have sniffed the playoffs 

plenty of analysts have praised this squad so I don't care what a bunch of posters who didn't play beyond pop warner have to say 

Last edited:
now if you already had him as GOAT before the game, then fine. you may still have him there. but for the people (troy aikman) who say a win cements his GOAT status but a loss does nothing....GTHOHWTBS

I'm in agreement with this. Ty your hypothetical is tough because we can't just switch QBs once the 'big game' hits. Peyton's strength is getting the team in (great) position to make that run for the championship year after year...after year. Besides Tom, no other AFC QB is doing that. So while Ben may be good in 'big game' situations, he also isn't getting to as many of them as a Peyton or Tom. That should be accounted for as well. But we all weigh different variables in different ways

Manning is 11-12 in the postseason, including 1-2 in Super Bowls. Great in the regular season, below average in the postseason. Verdict: Not overrated, fringe top five QB of all time. His reg season play carries majority of the weight on his resume.

Last edited:
I'm in agreement with this. Ty your hypothetical is tough because we can't just switch QBs once the 'big game' hits. Peyton's strength is getting the team in (great) position to make that run for the championship year after year...after year. Besides Tom, no other AFC QB is doing that. So while Ben may be good in 'big game' situations, he also isn't getting to as many of them as a Peyton or Tom. That should be accounted for as well. But we all weigh different variables in different ways

You know what i will give you credit on that note because he ability to consistently win regular season games is major. But i think that light is dimmed when your talking his place amongst the greatest of all time because anyone who's mentioned up there has dominated the regular season countless times.

All QB have had average/bad games in a big spot somedays it just isn't your day or your playing a superior team. But none in that discussion (Other then Favre but thats a whole other discussion) have looked HORRID in big games as many times as Peyton has and it's this repeat of bad performances in the playoffs that has this discussion still going after he won a ring.

I just think that if You place a certain QB above other QB's, then it should be easy to assume that said QB is more trust worthy in big games than those you have ranked beneath him.

I just don't think it's plausible at this time for anyone to say, if they need a player to play at their max for one game and help lead the team to victory Peyton Manning would even be amongst the top 5 because his track record doesn't only show him losing these games, but losing to inferior teams for the most part and playing horrible in most of the losses.

with a severely undermanned team.....w/o 3 of his top receivers from the previous season......they lined up 3   5' 9" or shorter receivers......I've never in my life seen that happen in a NFL game since maybe the vintage days when unitas was playing :lol:

lets not speak on the defense that was missing their 4-5 best players 

put ANY qb on that team and they wouldn't have sniffed the playoffs 

plenty of analysts have praised this squad so I don't care what a bunch of posters who didn't play beyond pop warner have to say 

hes just egging you on man :lol:

people saying they would want Brady in a big game or to put together a game winning drive arent alone . in the players poll that came out recently Brady got the #1 nod over Peyton and it wasnt even close

When New England Patriots receiver Julian Edelman is asked why Tom Brady is the clear-cut choice as the quarterback any team would want in the huddle with two minutes remaining and the Super Bowl on the line, he is quick with his answer.

"Look at his résumé," Edelman said.

Edelman and others around the NFL did just that in making Brady a runaway winner in ESPN.com's NFL Nation Confidential anonymous player survey.

Brady received 128 of a possible 320 votes, outdistancing Peyton Manning, who tallied 86 votes.

View media item 783507

I'm surprised he got that much

No doubt Ty. Honestly I think Peyton's biggest problem in these marquee games is he completely over thinks the team and situation. If he just looked relaxed and played he would be fine. His greatest strength turns into his biggest flaw because it is amplified (IMO) to a level that is too high

Nah, yall Brady stans can't have it both ways. People love to act like Brady was lighting it up during those 3 SB's with no name WR's then cry now cuz he has no name WR's. His record ain't spotless either. It's been a decade since the Pats won a ring. We've seen Brady's teams WITH GREAT WEAPONS get punked by the Giants twice. Embarrassed by the Ravens twice. Looked bad this year against the Broncos. So yeah Peyton has had his failures but don't sit and act like other HOF QB's don't screw up either. Montana is probably the only one that was money every time.

Last edited:
I'm surprised he got that much

No doubt Ty. Honestly I think Peyton's biggest problem in these marquee games is he completely over thinks the team and situation. If he just looked relaxed and played he would be fine. His greatest strength turns into his biggest flaw because it is amplified (IMO) to a level that is too high

Yea i think that's just who he is which was my problem with Lebron James before him eventually dominating in the finals as he should. It's not that i don't acknowledge Mannings skills it's just IMO mental toughness is a big part of sports and Peyton seems to show that come playoff time because if not his skill set would allow him to change the outcome of a lot of those early exits.

Nah, yall Brady stans can't have it both ways. People love to act like Brady was lighting it up during those 3 SB's with no name WR's then cry now cuz he has no name WR's. His record ain't spotless either. It's been a decade since the Pats won a ring. We've seen Brady's teams WITH GREAT WEAPONS get punked by the Giants twice. Embraced by the Ravens twice. Looked bad this year against the Broncos. So yeah Peyton has had his failures but don't sit and act like other HOF QB's don't screw up either. Montana is probably the only one that was money every time.

if you can't see the difference in how brady lost his SBs (handing over LEADS to the defense with 2 minutes or so left) versus what peyton manning did on sunday, or even against the saints...then i don't know what to tell you. both QBs could have obviously played better than they're capable of in their losses, but one of them completely **** his pants.

your first point is taken. but realistically, no one is going to consistently win like that. brady had this year's team in the AFC champ game, which says a TON about what makes him great as a QB.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom