Is This Blackface? vol. Olympic Edition

Do you see the difference between calling something

A. Racially insensitive

B. RACIST

?
I would say they have different implications, but not everyone holds the same definitions. Racially insensitive leans more towards relatively harmless acts of being careless or unaware about racial connotations to me. 

Racism generally implies clear malicious intent or rhetoric/behavior that specifically perpetuates white supremacy and demeans other races.

Those clowns painting their faces black on halloween are clear racist acts, because of the historical connotations associated with blackface. As is that Lebron magazine cover.

It serves no purpose other than to offend. The skin mask on the other hand is rather harmless in my eyes as its purpose is simply a common skin treatment and all we have to go on is that picture. The most I'd agree with is being careless about the consequences of posting that picture but I don't think there is enough information to define her as a racist.

Last edited:
There been a sckid cliffs yet?

I got up to page 6 but I can't do it. Why did it go another 12 :nerd:

Almost like when you girl starts crying everytime you get on her for doing something wrong and in turn it makes you feel bad and you end up never really addressing what she is being checked for.

Almost like when you girl starts crying everytime you get on her for doing something wrong and in turn it makes you feel bad and you end up never really addressing what she is being checked for.

So again DC...

When a white person makes a joke about a black person eating watermelon and chicken, that's just insensitive correct?

There been a sckid cliffs yet?

I got up to page 6 but I can't do it. Why did it go another 12 :nerd:

- op makes thread about olympian wearing "black face"

- majority of nt calls it a reach.

- olympic mass pics are shared for some reason

- reps are given

- op is resilient with his opinion

- exchanges are had

- DC enters thread.....somewhat agrees with op but calls girl "incensitive" rather than racist.

-stillin729 does not concur.

- the back and forth continues

DC has been trolling NT for almost 15 years now. FIFTEEN!

he needs his own badge. that's impressive :smokin

that other guy is a struggle troll.

step your game up pleighboi.

- op is resilient with his opinion
laugh.gif

is that what it is resilient?

or is it just because im "technically" right?

When The Spanish National Team did the eye-joke in the 2008 Olympics, that was racially insensitive.

When a comedian goes up on stage and talks about Muslims, that is racially insensitive.

When a white person makes a joke about black people eating watermelons and chicken, that is racially insensitive.

ALL of those things are done on PURPOSE. But none of them are RACIST.

Again, You don't understand the difference between the two and you are telling ME that I am calling someone racist simply because YOU don't know what the word means.

Right

So you think she purposely did that?

DC has been trolling NT for almost 15 years now. FIFTEEN!

he needs his own badge. that's impressive
smokin.gif

I guess I made my own bed, but I haven't trolled at all in this thread. Like I told you dudes before (and every time it comes up), if the topic is about RACE, I don't joke around with it

So why is it insensitive and not racist?

You wanted this convo so let's hear it
Being racist involves believing your race is superior vs. other races.

Making a racially stereotypical JOKES (watermelon and chicken), is insensitive.

Comedians that make racial JOKES, are showing insensitivity. It doesn't make them racIST.

Again, 

Making a joke doesn't mean you are showing racial superiority.

Now a racist (through past actions) can make a racial joke and since we know their mentality/mindset, one could say they are being racist, but a racial joke (in a vacuum), is not racIST.

Comedians that make racial JOKES, are showing insensitivity. It doesn't make them racIST.

Again, 

Now a racist (through past actions) can make a racial joke and since we know their mentality/mindset, one could say they are being racist, but a racial joke (in a vacuum), is not racIST.

Totally disagree, comedians as an argument isn't really the best sticking point IMO

Bunch of white dudes sitting around making chicken and watermelon jokes would be racist in my book, yeah the joke may be insensitive but it's a bit deeper than that

Again, 

Totally disagree, comedians as an argument isn't really the best sticking point IMO

Bunch of white dudes sitting around making chicken and watermelon jokes would be racist in my book, yeah the joke may be insensitive but it's a bit deeper than that

I still remember the Fuzzy Zoeller / Tiger Woods remarks.

Why are comedians any different? Because they are trained professionals doing it? Help me understand that logic

Why are comedians any different? Because they are trained professionals doing it? Help me understand that logic

Because you pick this small sample size to support your argument by using comedians as an example

there's an exception to every rule

So what about a bunch of black dude sitting around making Speedy Gonzalez jokes. Would that be racist?

Back
Top Bottom