Ja Rule's finesse of the Century - Fyre Festival

Ja actually had a great career and a ton of hits, even some after he was "done" like New York. Just funny how the internet plays with his name.

I don’t get it.

He had a run only few could rival and he’s a “joke” today.

They not respecting the blueprint.

He was Drake before Drake.

I am trying not show recency bias and have let it stew for a bit but Ja being ‘Drake before Drake’ is somewhat wild. And that isn’t a slight to Ja but Drake is different although he has more at his disposal in this era with technology, social media, today’s pop culture, etc.

But even putting that aside because it is not a fair or accurate comparison due to changing times, Ja had an admirable run from circa 1999 to 2004 but he fell off a cliff in all senses in comparison to a lot of other mainstream artists front that time including rappers such as 50, Eminem, Wayne, Kanye, etc. so he has become the butt of jokes.

Sad and unfortunate but that is the way the world turns. He was a hot line and they were hot songs 🤷‍♂️

Nothing wild about "Drake before Drake" at all. He made the crooning so acceptable even his op who made fun of him ended up doing it.

While I see the logic, it’s hard to really call anyone drake before drake given the history the public had with dude and then he turns into what he turned into and there was never any expectations for dude to be hard or street, so he gets away with shh other dudes just can’t

Even with will smith he started out as the rapper.. kid n’ play probably the better examples

But that’s why 50 ended dude.. and people didn’t care about pusha t bodying drake

While I see the logic, it’s hard to really call anyone drake before drake given the history the public had with dude and then he turns into what he turned into and there was never any expectations for dude to be hard or street, so he gets away with shh other dudes just can’t

Even with will smith he started out as the rapper.. kid n’ play probably the better examples

But that’s why 50 ended dude.. and people didn’t care about pusha t bodying drake

This. I don’t really think I can say #SameTier. Ja was big but I think comparing his peak to Drake’s peak is romanticizing the memory of Ja. But it could also be recency bias so there’s that :lol:

This. I don’t really think I can say #SameTier. Ja was big but I think comparing his peak to Drake’s peak is romanticizing the memory of Ja. But it could also be recency bias so there’s that :lol:

DCAllAfrican DCAllAfrican is this cultural?

106 And Park Ja vs Drake?

I’m not sure how people aren’t seeing the impact Ja had on rap.

He was literally the biggest name in hip hop for years!

It was him Jay and X going back to back hits after hits.

Yes Ja was on that level.

Murder inc. had a moment

but you giving dude wayy too much credit

drake got bodied by pusha and people just moved on for both dudes

only comparison I got for that is eminem taking jabs at will smith.. wasn’t the end of the world for will smith because no one expected that shh from him

but 50 swiftly ended Ja & co

and he was far from the first rapper to jump on an r&b song.. hell jlo just ripped off what Mariah was doing

It really isn't that hard to make the comparison unless you're just being difficult for the sake of it, and it has to be all the way 1:1 comparison or the argument can't be made. If that's the case, ya'll be good. Like if you also say Phonte was Drake before Drake ya'll are gon be like "nah he ain't had number ones!"

I don’t think it has to be a 1:1

but I think a key aspect is dudes people never really expected to be a certain thing

drake is in the same lane that I’d put guys like Kanye.. Kanye was never expected to be hard or anything (50 tried beefing with dude and people just didn’t care, around graduation time)

cant even put three stacks in there because of dude eventually developed into that but that was after like 3 albums

i cant put Ja in that group cause all it took was 50 calling it out for things to play out like

Ja had a nice lil run but it was pretty short lived and he didn’t nearly have the lasting impact contemporaries hence why 50 was able to easily dispose of him as IATT IATT is mentioning.

I think we are acknowledging that Ja had a period where he was poppin but it was strong enough for him to last a long period of time and with the way things played out with his career, the memory of him did not age well.

I know y’all like sports too and I am trying to think of a comp. Ja’s career might be like Cam Newton’s, respectfully whereas Drake is closer to a Mahomes.

I know y’all like sports too and I am trying to think of a comp. Ja’s career might be like Cam Newton’s, respectfully whereas Drake is closer to a Mahomes.
0358397C-41C1-433B-89CF-312C7CA8A725.gif

i mean old hits don't mean much now unless the music is timeless and still jams
with that being said, ja had some really good songs but em, 50, g unit, and busta murdered his whole reputation
that's why people clown him and rightfully so. he played himself and was really loud about it too

I swear to God I knew that gif was coming :lol: But Ja is past his Pats phase. His Fyre Festival debacle was like Cam at LSU Pro Day, throwing and acting like he should still be in the league. Respectfully.

Yea the problem with the cam comparison is cam is the most physically gifted dude to ever play the QB position (before anthony Richardson, who just got drafted)

legit 6’5 and ran sub 4.6 in the 40 plus being strong as hell

but dude never had a legit good offensive coach who would/should have fixed his throwing motion.. because dude threw all arm and never actually used his full body.. you can look at his mechanics and if dude had a legit coach alot of that was fixable.. stuff like not setting his feet, we’ll ball is going sail high.. if you’re not using your legs, not going get as much power in your throws

if anyone is cam, I’d say it’s method man.. had the high highs moments and the talent was obvious.. but probably shoulda easily been more than he was.. still a long solid career, but given his obvious talent probably could have easily been more

WHAT!??!!???

He did 3 platinum albums back to back to back!

And these are hard copies!

Y’all either young or high but Ja was literally HIM for years.

His first four albums went Platinum from 99-02 (four years). Next one in 03 - nothing. Sixth in 04 - Gold. Next album wasn’t until 2012 and you know how that went.

Drake released 5 Platinum albums (each multiple times platinum) from 2010 to 2018 then the next two in 2021 and 2022 went Gold. He has him beat in longevity and buzz which matters because over that 8 year span he had so many features. That doesn’t even include WATTBA going double platinum.

So yes, Ja’s 4-year stretch was a nice lil run compared to Drake’s career that is still going over a decade after his first album released.

Back
Top Bottom