Kanye West: King of the Sunken Place, "Watch the Throne"

I think it's a matter of demographics.

Having followed French rap during my teens, I can remember people from the suburbs (the equivalent of the American inner city) being into sneakers, and you could see it in what the rappers, comedians, and actors from these neighborhoods were wearing. On their streets, those sneakers conveyed the same status that an American would get by wearing the latest Jordans or Foamposites. The best example I can give is the Nike TN Plus.

The clowning you speak of had to do with mainstream society not looking at those guys as fashionable, but the culture was definitely there, in their hoods.

Reminds me of how when I went to a majority white high school, the few kids like me that wore AF1s, Jordans, Dunks, etc. were called "ghetto".

Nowadays that same demographic is the one ruining all-white AF1s and buying up all the stock to flaunt on IG and resell :lol:

Also Belgium Belgium 's posts might be more country-specific . I can't speak for Belgium, but Air Maxes have been huge in the UK, France, and Southern Europe since I've been a kid, and AF1s/Dunks/Jordans have become more popular over the past decade or so as well especially with superstars like Ronaldo and Mbappe wearing them all over IG.

You can even see the influence in designer brands, with LV, Saint Laurent, Dior, etc. releasing silhouettes that are similar to 80s/90s basketball and running shoes.

I'd say that wearing shoes like Foams with jeans is unheard of in most European countries. IMO it was never a good look but I know a lot of NTers would disagree with me :lol:

Last edited:
Like i said before, anything outside of Yeezy's is not a factor when it comes to what's popular in mainstream pop culture within the United States. Granted, i know the people in here that live outside of the states, are going to argue me down about what's popular in other countries, and how much money Adidas makes outside of what Kanye brought to the table to them.

But none of that actually means anything to this topic, because here in the United States, we set the trends worldwide that makes everyone follow behind us and copy. Even if other countries don't follow or bite what we do, we create what's the most popular look clothing wise and music wise.

I know that everyone is a individual, and we all have our own taste, but there's not a large demographic of this young generation that cares about anything created by Adidas outside of Yeezy's.

The only person close to bringing that to Adidas right now is Jerry Lorenzo, and his situation over at Adidas is super weird right now, because it's as if his creative process is stagnant for the most part, in comparison to what he did at Nike.

You would think that he would be pumping out new different shoe designs and Colorways just like YE did when he first got with Adidas. It's like Jerry is just giving us something here and there at random times, but the frequency and consistency of creating shoes at a faster rate/speed isn't there at the moment.

If Adidas tells him to start going crazy with whatever he wants to do without holding him back while trying to controlling him. Then I can see Adidas still keeping that Yeezy crowd somewhat. But nobody's that's popular and trendsetting outside of those 2 men, are going to care about what Adidas is doing after Kanye is gone.

We're going to have people on social media, and on these blog sites, argue everybody down to death about how Adidas is bigger than Kanye, and that they'll be ok without him. We understand and we get all of that.

But what Kanye brought to Adidas can't be bought or duplicated. He brought the youth to Adidas, he brought the Nike and Jordan heads to Adidas. He basically brought the (in) crowd to them. The (in) determines how the culture shifts when it comes down to what's popular amongst the mainstream when it comes to fashion and what's popular in that era or time.

I will admit that his antics will decrease his popularity maybe going forward. But what he single handedly did over at Adidas, was the equivalent to what Jordan and Tinker brought to Nike. Im not saying that it was on the same level or even close to it. But seeing how the youth, along with alot of people that I know gravitate towards Adidas because of Kanye, has been the only shoe designer/new shoe collaborate effort to change the landscape somewhat.

To make people hop on a brand, otherwise, would've cared less about Adidas, if Kanye wasn't there. In my personal opinion, I think it's down hill from here going forward for Kanye in the shoes/fashion world. Nobody wants to do business with him at all.

Try again.

Y’all wanna claim foams and foam boots and Wale do ur thing. NB… g t f o h.
You think people are lying?

Like people from the area are telling you they have been popular in the area since the early 80s.

When I used to lurk on NT in the early 2000s I remember the jokes dudes used to have for DC, Nova, and Maryland dudes and their New Balances

Last edited:
i’m not even from the DMV but DC being the closest big city to me their fashions drips down to southern va…

foams
nike boots
nb

all dat been prevalent down here too…

shht..we even call air force 1s “DCs” down here…straight up..

don’t get me started in the helle hansens, spyders and shht lolol.

i grew up on dc fashion…the 757 is heavily influenced by it…

It's kind of like Chucks and Vans with Cali. or Timbs with NY. Those shoes have been around for decades throughout the country with different demographics, but they became regional fashion staples during certain periods of time while the rest of the country just viewed them as generic/outdated/ugly

You think people are lying?

Like people from the area are telling you they have been popular in the area since the early 80s.

When I used to lurk on NT in the early 2000s I remember the jokes dudes used to have for DC and Maryland dudes and their New Balances

NB been popular since the 80s many places is my point. My pops was in NB in the 80s religiously when I was in diapers. I started high school in late 90s (Minneapolis) NB were everywhere.

The way read it the DMV isn’t “claiming” anything. He just said they were popular in the area. Its not like he said, “DMV had errbody rockin NBs!”

"To stay as under the radar as possible from law enforcement, dealers from D.C. wore neutral colors top to bottom. Logos from high-end brands like Hugo Boss, Versace, and Giorgio Armani would be donned on black tees and pants. And the shoes to accompany them were the New Balance 990s. In an interview with Sneaker Freaker, Curtis ‘Curtbone’ Chambers, a D.C. native who was a member of the violent Rayful Edmond gang from the 1980s, spoke about the gang’s love for the 990 sneaker. “Back in our time, we liked the blacks and greys. So with the New Balance being the greys, it went with everything we was doing,” says Chambers. “We’ve always been into designers, but we weren’t into the loud colours…New Balance fit that also – it was our code”. The sneaker fit into the low-key demeanor that D.C. hustlers were looking for; the most expensive shoe to date that was a basic color and comfortable to wear while standing long hours on the street.

In an interview with StockX, Ian Callender, a notable figure in the DMV’s growing sneaker community and co-founder of Culture House D.C., notes the impact the 990 had on the community while growing up around the time of the sneaker’s release. “It was an out-the-gate desirable back in the day… like the original status shoe that aligned you with money” recalls Callender. “I’d often see all the D-Boys rocking ‘em, so when I got older I always wanted to cop,” says Callender. The shoes evolved from a basic running sneaker to an aspirational object as the streets created icons out of the New Balance runner. It fit the bill for hustlers in the DMV, and being a $100 shoe in the same market as lower priced kicks made it an instant status symbol. This help develop the New Balance 990’s history into something richer than just for sport. "

NB been popular since the 80s many places is my point. My pops was in NB in the 80s religiously when I was in diapers. I started high school in late 90s (Minneapolis) NB were everywhere.
So because some white people in Minneapolis wore NB that means what exactly?

People in other places wore Foams and Nike boots too

All people are saying is that they were extremely popular in the area, and as far as modern sneaker culture people associate the DMV and Baltimore with the shoes more than other places.

The same way Timbs are associated with NYC. But they are popular in a lot of places

There's a lot more variety nowadays but I remember throughout highschool that even something like Nike Air Maxes were generally described as tacky and often mocked for being too athletic looking.
This makes me wonder what was acceptable footwear for your HS. Like were dudes all wearing these...
ecco-men-fusion-2-slip-on-black-pull-up-50011401001__07530.1476196545.1280.1280.jpg

So because some white people in Minneapolis wore NB that means what exactly?

People in other places wore Foams and Nike boots too

All people are saying is that they were extremely popular in the area, and as far as modern sneaker culture people associate the DMV and Baltimore with the shoes more than other places.

The same way Timbs are associated with NYC. But they are popular in a lot of places

Other than my Pops I wasnt referring to white people. Thank you for putting me on game about what city made NB popular.

The way read it the DMV isn’t “claiming” anything. He just said they were popular in the area. Its not like he said, “DMV had errbody rockin NBs!”
Bruh you know these cats can't comprehend simple things like that.

i’m not even from the DMV but DC being the closest big city to me their fashions drips down to southern va…

foams
nike boots
nb

all dat been prevalent down here too…

shht..we even call air force 1s “DCs” down here…straight up..

don’t get me started in the helle hansens, spyders and shht lolol.

i grew up on dc fashion…the 757 is heavily influenced by it…
All of this

all i know is that i had a half smoke from ben’s chili bowl in dc and that was one of my favorite meals of the trip 🔥

Fam took that NB / DMV thing personal.

A DMV dude definitely stole this mans girl back in the day...and gave her back smelling like backwoods and Steel Reserve, last seen pulling off in a Police Interceptor Crown Vic, while wearing NB 990s, an ICEBERG t-shirt, & H.O.B.O. sweat suit from Shooters...crankin' TCB.

it-became.gif

:lol:

Don’t think it’s as deep as ‘drug dealers wanted to stay anonymous’.

New Balance was always the expensive sneaker so it was always a flex if you had a pair.

DMV always been ahead of the curve on getting on Lowkey brands you can flex with. It’s the reasons why brands like Helly Hansen, prime north face, monclernare always big here. Foams was a product of that, it was the most expensive Nike, so same for goadomes… DMV always wanted to be on what’s next and not what everyone is necessrily wearing, plus you add in the melting pot factor.

New Balance been a DC thing since the 80’s. I’m not sure what you’re on.
This this this. Like I know we clown on DMV and trash LA. But real talk NT allowed me to connect DMV culture. They def was down w NB particularly 900 and above whilst rest of nation was on footlocker 2 for 89 574 jawnz. Foambs also quintessentially DMV. Nike boots too.

Yes we know currently that NB is more flora al and yes it too a Greek dude from queens to elevate to Air Jordan 1 status. But never forget your roots. Should our to all da DC NTers

Back
Top Bottom