**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

We used a #2 pick on a slow kid with a set shot who can't create without a screen while Booker and Porzingis are tearing the league up

:lol:

No they're not.

And if they are, then Russell is as well because in pretty much most cases, they're all right in line with each other.

There's no way Dlo is right in line with them :lol: Booker and Porzingis are playing much better than Dlo at this point in time. I hope Dlo turns into a beast, but Booker and Porzingis both established it from their rookie year. Dlo is still trying to find himself in the league. It's not just all about #s. You can see the difference between the 3 in the confidence and how comfortable they look on the court.

But for the number's sake here's a comparison between the 3 for just this season:

http://www.basketball-reference.com...istaps+Porzingis&player_id3=porzikr01&y3=2017

Last edited:
I mean if we being real DRuss only got real play in the second half of last year and B Scott was still a completely terrible fit. Booker and Kris are better than him right now but that's cool. He's getting 15 and 5. He's doing good **** for this team right now and his team is in a way better position for the Future than the Knicks or Suns.

There's no way Dlo is right in line with them :lol: Booker and Porzingis are playing much better than Dlo at this point in time. I hope Dlo turns into a beast, but Booker and Porzingis both established it from their rookie year. Dlo is still trying to find himself in the league. It's not just all about #s. You can see the difference between the 3 in the confidence and how comfortable they look on the court.

But for the number's sake here's a comparison between the 3 for just this season:

http://www.basketball-reference.com...istaps+Porzingis&player_id3=porzikr01&y3=2017

PER 100 Possessions
Russell 26.9/5.9/9.0 101 / 109 Off to Defense 100 possessions 5.2 Turnovers
Booker 28.3/3.3/3.6 101 / 112 Off to Defense 100 possessions 3.8 Turnovers

PER 36
Russell 20.3/4.5/6.8 4.0 Turnovers
Booker 21.6/2.5/2.8 2.9 Turnovers

Player Efficiency
Russell 15.6
Booker 13.9

Win Shares
Russell 0.3
Booker 0.3

Value over Replacement Player
Russell 0.1
Booker 0.0

Offensive Box Plus / Minus
Russell 1.2
Booker 0.3

Defensive Box Plus / Minus
Russell -1.5
Booker -2.8

At the very least, they are in line. With Russell getting less of the keys than Booker. Try again

I'm truly sick of the "It's more than numbers" nonsense argument. Everything and anything in sports is about numbers. Not feel, not look, not eye test. All results come down to numbers. I know it "takes the fun out of it," but the essential component of sports are numbers. I.e. Wins & Losses are determined by numerous sets of numbers that fall in line with one grand result, which are numbers

Last edited:
PER 100 Possessions
Russell 26.9/5.9/9.0 101 / 109 Off to Defense 100 possessions 5.2 Turnovers
Booker 28.3/3.3/3.6 101 / 112 Off to Defense 100 possessions 3.8 Turnovers

PER 36
Russell 20.3/4.5/6.8 4.0 Turnovers
Booker 21.6/2.5/2.8 2.9 Turnovers

Player Efficiency
Russell 15.6
Booker 13.9

Win Shares
Russell 0.3
Booker 0.3

Value over Replacement Player
Russell 0.1
Booker 0.0

Offensive Box Plus / Minus
Russell 1.2
Booker 0.3

Defensive Box Plus / Minus
Russell -1.5
Booker -2.8

At the very least, they are in line. With Russell getting less of the keys than Booker. Try again

I'm truly sick of the "It's more than numbers" nonsense argument. Everything and anything in sports is about numbers. Not feel, not look, not eye test. All results come down to numbers. I know it "takes the fun out of it," but the essential component of sports are numbers. I.e. Wins & Losses are determined by numerous sets of numbers that fall in line with one grand result, which are numbers

What numbers show him moping around the court all depressed? What numbers show him being flat footed upright on D? What numbers show him jogging back on D after he gets the ball ripped? What numbers show him not fighting through screens and putting the defense out of balance?

So much goes on in a game that stats don't show and that age/ experience has no bearing on

What does Booker do besides score? Totally disagree that it's all about numbers tho. Numbers never tell the whole story

And all of those end up into numbers... Jesus guys come on.

Any negative impact he has by "moping around" do show up, even though it's a nonsense measurement. They just don't show up in a linear pattern. If he doesn't get back on defense, and the other team scores, that shows up.

And he ironically, for all the **** you're giving him, on mostly nonsense measurements is still somehow better on defense than Booker..

#MathIsHard

Last edited:
E - would you draft Dlo at #2 knowing what you know now? And do you think he will be an elite NBA PG ?

D'lo had some terrible turnovers, terrible defense and at times bad body language. And he still he scored at will.

He's being asked to run the offense as a 20 yr old so all of these bumps in the road are well worth it.

I still think he can be one of the best lead guards in the league eventually but he absolutely desereved being benched tonight.

It seems like the sky is the limit for D'lo and Randle once they stop making silly mistakes, which will come with experience.

Ingram just needs to mature physically, he already plays like a vet.

Last edited:
E - would you draft Dlo at #2 knowing what you know now? And do you think he will be an elite NBA PG ?

Yes. Still draft him # 2. Not even an ounce of regret and really no hesitation.

As for Elite Level PG? I don't know. That's a subjective term. Are we talking all star, deep playoff runs, leading a team to a title. Because if it's the later 2, none of the 3 we're talking about Have solidified any certainty on their potential of Eliteness.

Do each of them have some skill set that is elite? Yes. Russell, Porzingis & Booker all have at least 1 skill set that is elite. But total package elite player, nah no way to tell for any of them.

For example: if I said I have a SG playing 35 mpg scoring 21 a game at 43/31 and 2&2 on rebounds and assists. I would think you were telling me I had Lou Williams if he was a starter.

Last edited:
Why even watch the games if it's all about numbers. That argument makes no sense to me. Just a left brain dominant point of view

The end result of a game is numbers.

Turnovers mean nothing unless a team capitalizes off of them by scoring points off of turnovers = numbers.

Also turnovers impact flow of offense because presumably leads to less shot attempts... numbers.

Which can be compounded by not making your shots at a necessary and sustained rate to keep a lead... numbers.

Larry Nance's impact as an energy guy shows up through numbers depending on how far you want to dive into it. You look at overall team performance when he's on the court.

If he's good, it shows up, and it does. If he wasn't any good, no matter how hard he tried it would not show up.

Heart and effort mean nothing without results and that is quantified by numbers.

I know it sucks to hear because it may eliminate the fun of basketball for you.. but everything in the sports you love can be broken down into numbers. And that's more important than how you feel.

Last edited:
Young fellas on the road vs a bunch of vets, not getting some decent whistles, they'll struggle a bit. It's expected.

They'll fight thru it.

Randle tho. :smokin

You were right. They weren't getting calls, kings are a bunch of vets and played very aggressively trapping all PnRs and they still came back.

Excellent win.

Why even watch the games if it's all about numbers. That argument makes no sense to me. Just a left brain dominant point of view

The end result of a game is numbers.

Turnovers mean nothing unless a team capitalizes off of them by scoring points off of turnovers = numbers.

Also turnovers impact flow of offense because presumably leads to less shot attempts... numbers.

Which can be compounded by not making your shots at a necessary and sustained rate to keep a lead... numbers.

Larry Nance's impact as an energy guy shows up through numbers depending on how far you want to dive into it. You look at overall team performance when he's on the court.

If he's good, it shows up, and it does. If he wasn't any good, no matter how hard he tried it would not show up.

Heart and effort mean nothing without results and that is quantified by numbers.

I know it sucks to hear because it may eliminate the fun of basketball for you.. but everything in the sports you love can be broken down into numbers. And that's more important than how you feel.

Don't want to get into a numbers vs eye test debate but D'lo did not have a great game even though his stats might tell you otherwise. You can twist numbers to say whatever you want them to say, you need context.

I'm sorry, but you are speaking completely like someone who has never played/coached basketball at a high level. It is most certainly about what you can see with your eyes and not just numbers. I guess Jerry West is just a lucky son of a gun for scouting how he does with just his eyes and not advanced analytics? There are absolutely things you can see on the court with your eyes as to whether or not a guy has "it" without looking at any stats. Numbers like per 36 and per 48 because it is making an assumption that someone could keep up the exact performance level for an even longer period of time than they actually showed. I'm not saying Dlo can't become great, but to say he is even at this point in time with porzingis or Booker is silly. If you watched any games of all 3 you would see that isn't the case just on the eye test. Dlo shows flashes but the other 2 have done it on a more consistent basis especially this year. Porzingis is killing it right while having to share the ball with melo AND D rose on his team.

Nobody is saying numbers mean nothing, but to completely discredit what you see with your eyes is pretty dumb imo. Take a guy like Jamal Crawford, his per 36 and 100 poss numbers are pretty good throughout his career, but it doesn't take into account him completely stopping the offense a majority of the time he catches the ball and dribbles 5 times before forcing a shot. There is a reason he has bounced around to so many teams even though his numbers say otherwise. Looking at the other posters it seems that most get the point that there is more to the game of basketball than just numbers though. There are absolutely things you cannot measure in numbers that can be seen by the naked eye.

The way that final lineup was playing I did not want DLo back in the game.
Numbers or not, the 5 on the floor were playing much better at that moment and gave us a much better chance of closing with a W.

I was confident that we'd close with a win without DLo on the court.
I would of been nervous he'd find a way to screw it up if he had been inserted in at that point, just being honest.

Also, 3angelo is my PG and I'm proud but I'd trade him for Booker in a heartbeat no hesitation.
I think many of us would based on eye test alone.

That's where I think context is needed also. Booker is a gunner, he shoots whenever he wants. D'lo is being asked to actually make decisions and run the offense. Those are two completely different roles.

It will take time to see who the better player will be.

Back
Top Bottom