Lebron took out an ad in the newspaper to thank....

LeBron may not owe it to people in city of Cleveland or state of Ohio, that's fine and that's entitled to him but for him to put a letter like that on a newspaper, that's just colossal f-you double whammy on Cleveland. Is it that hard for him to write couple lines that says, 'thank you, Cleveland'? Really? This is such a bad move on LeBron's front. I understand the motive behind the letter to promote his charity event he's having in Akron but seriously, it's only gonna cost him couple lines at maximum and now it looks like dude wants to become an $$$ on purpose.

Whoever is in charge for PR in LeBron's camp should be fired ASAP for things that he/she done last couple months because it's been one horrible PR move to another. Seriously, how can you become so hated without having any problem with gambling, women, drug and law?

LeBron may not owe it to people in city of Cleveland or state of Ohio, that's fine and that's entitled to him but for him to put a letter like that on a newspaper, that's just colossal f-you double whammy on Cleveland. Is it that hard for him to write couple lines that says, 'thank you, Cleveland'? Really? This is such a bad move on LeBron's front. I understand the motive behind the letter to promote his charity event he's having in Akron but seriously, it's only gonna cost him couple lines at maximum and now it looks like dude wants to become an $$$ on purpose.

Whoever is in charge for PR in LeBron's camp should be fired ASAP for things that he/she done last couple months because it's been one horrible PR move to another. Seriously, how can you become so hated without having any problem with gambling, women, drug and law?

laugh.gif
 What losers. You all should be half this passionate about trying to clean up your city your own lives.

I read so much dumb stuff from random posters in S&T. Need to make these threads permit based only. "Cleveland needs to thank LeBron for bringing money there". Dumb idiots, superstars bump the economy in every city, because superstars and winning brings the people out. Same thing is gonna happen in Miami. Winning + superstars= money for the city, regardless of what state or city. LeBron aint do nothing different than what the Indians did for Cleveland when they were always winning

I read so much dumb stuff from random posters in S&T. Need to make these threads permit based only. "Cleveland needs to thank LeBron for bringing money there". Dumb idiots, superstars bump the economy in every city, because superstars and winning brings the people out. Same thing is gonna happen in Miami. Winning + superstars= money for the city, regardless of what state or city. LeBron aint do nothing different than what the Indians did for Cleveland when they were always winning

LeBron thanked everyone at his annual bike-a-thon in Akron today

[h2]http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sport...o-lebrontigerrice-center-of-sports-world.html[/h2]
[h2]For a day, Ohio (LeBron/Tiger/Rice) center of sports world[/h2]
by: Ethan J. SkolnickAugust 7th, 2010 | 2:11 PM

Just made the drive from the LeBron James Bike-A-Thon in Akron to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton.

James received a rousing, entirely warm reception in Akron. There were more Heat jerseys than Cavaliers jerseys, and none of the Heat fans appeared to have any trouble. I’ll post a column to the website later this afternoon or evening, and it will focus on the forgiveness that Akron has already shown James. Cleveland might be another matter, but what I found interesting was how Akron residents distanced themselves from the neighboring city about an hour away.

On this same day, Tiger Woods is struggling in a tournament in Akron.

And this evening, Jerry Rice (not to mention Emmitt Smith, John Randle and Rickey Jackson) will be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

All of these events are occurring in about a 50 mile radius.

[h1]LeBron thanks Cleveland fans at annual bike-a-thon [/h1]

Posted Aug 7 2010 2:29PM

AKRON, Ohio (AP) -- LeBron James finally thanked his fans in Cleveland on Saturday, making his first public appearance since he left the Cavaliers for the Miami Heat.
At his annual "King for Kids" charity bike-a-thon in downtown Akron, James addressed a friendly crowd of several hundred people who cheered as he took the podium.

"To the city of Cleveland, my fans in Cleveland, my fans in northeast Ohio," said James, "I want to say thank you for the last seven years and the years that continue to go in the future."

Then he repeated the thank you to Cleveland a second time, as if for extra emphasis.

"So I want to thank the city of Cleveland, also northeast Ohio, for all the great years that I've had," he said.

Last week, James came under fire for taking out a full-page newspaper ad in the Akron Beacon Journal in which he thanked the city of Akron for its support. The ad contained no mention of Cleveland, where James got his start in the NBA.

Emotions are still running high among Cleveland fans who felt betrayed by James, who was revered in that city for years.

After James left for Miami to join Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, Cavs owner Dan Gilbert sent off a scathing letter to Cleveland fans vowing to win a title before James does.

But in Akron, at least, James is still very much loved by the people who watched him grow up. After giving his brief speech -- and without answering any questions from the media -- James hopped on a bicycle and joined about 400 children who received free bicycles along the one-mile course.

Wearing a red shirt with the word "Akron" printed on it, James also thanked that city and its mayor for extending open arms to the player and his family. He said this is the most precious day of the year for him.

"Because I'm able to give back to the city that I grew up in, the city that I love," James said to cheers. "And the city that I will always give back to."

Most fans were pleased to see him, and didn't understand the vitriol that has been directed at James from the rest of northeast Ohio since he left.

"This is his home. He's been very supportive of us in the past," said Tony Morganti, a Cavs fan from Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio. "He said he's going to continue to be so, and I think this just proves it."

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/08/07/lebron.bike.ap/index.html?rss=true

610xd.jpg

x610xm.jpg

x610b.jpg

610xo.jpg

610xds.jpg

x610u.jpg

Spoiler [+]
bronheat.jpg

LeBron thanked everyone at his annual bike-a-thon in Akron today

[h2]http://blogs.sun-sentinel.com/sport...o-lebrontigerrice-center-of-sports-world.html[/h2]
[h2]For a day, Ohio (LeBron/Tiger/Rice) center of sports world[/h2]
by: Ethan J. SkolnickAugust 7th, 2010 | 2:11 PM

Just made the drive from the LeBron James Bike-A-Thon in Akron to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton.

James received a rousing, entirely warm reception in Akron. There were more Heat jerseys than Cavaliers jerseys, and none of the Heat fans appeared to have any trouble. I’ll post a column to the website later this afternoon or evening, and it will focus on the forgiveness that Akron has already shown James. Cleveland might be another matter, but what I found interesting was how Akron residents distanced themselves from the neighboring city about an hour away.

On this same day, Tiger Woods is struggling in a tournament in Akron.

And this evening, Jerry Rice (not to mention Emmitt Smith, John Randle and Rickey Jackson) will be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

All of these events are occurring in about a 50 mile radius.

[h1]LeBron thanks Cleveland fans at annual bike-a-thon [/h1]

Posted Aug 7 2010 2:29PM

AKRON, Ohio (AP) -- LeBron James finally thanked his fans in Cleveland on Saturday, making his first public appearance since he left the Cavaliers for the Miami Heat.
At his annual "King for Kids" charity bike-a-thon in downtown Akron, James addressed a friendly crowd of several hundred people who cheered as he took the podium.

"To the city of Cleveland, my fans in Cleveland, my fans in northeast Ohio," said James, "I want to say thank you for the last seven years and the years that continue to go in the future."

Then he repeated the thank you to Cleveland a second time, as if for extra emphasis.

"So I want to thank the city of Cleveland, also northeast Ohio, for all the great years that I've had," he said.

Last week, James came under fire for taking out a full-page newspaper ad in the Akron Beacon Journal in which he thanked the city of Akron for its support. The ad contained no mention of Cleveland, where James got his start in the NBA.

Emotions are still running high among Cleveland fans who felt betrayed by James, who was revered in that city for years.

After James left for Miami to join Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, Cavs owner Dan Gilbert sent off a scathing letter to Cleveland fans vowing to win a title before James does.

But in Akron, at least, James is still very much loved by the people who watched him grow up. After giving his brief speech -- and without answering any questions from the media -- James hopped on a bicycle and joined about 400 children who received free bicycles along the one-mile course.

Wearing a red shirt with the word "Akron" printed on it, James also thanked that city and its mayor for extending open arms to the player and his family. He said this is the most precious day of the year for him.

"Because I'm able to give back to the city that I grew up in, the city that I love," James said to cheers. "And the city that I will always give back to."

Most fans were pleased to see him, and didn't understand the vitriol that has been directed at James from the rest of northeast Ohio since he left.

"This is his home. He's been very supportive of us in the past," said Tony Morganti, a Cavs fan from Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio. "He said he's going to continue to be so, and I think this just proves it."

http://www.nba.com/2010/news/08/07/lebron.bike.ap/index.html?rss=true

610xd.jpg

x610xm.jpg

x610b.jpg

610xo.jpg

610xds.jpg

x610u.jpg

Spoiler [+]
bronheat.jpg

I would have liked to see him not bow to the pressure to thank them and continue to just go on with his life, thus proving how much he does not need them 1 bit. It would be like a wrestler turning heel, but what happened today I guess is a more heart warming story I guess. People are still going to beef though.

I would have liked to see him not bow to the pressure to thank them and continue to just go on with his life, thus proving how much he does not need them 1 bit. It would be like a wrestler turning heel, but what happened today I guess is a more heart warming story I guess. People are still going to beef though.

[h1]In Akron at least, there's still love for LeBron James[/h1]
AKRON — All you could see, starting shortly after 9 a.m., were spokes and smiles, as 400 kids started wheeling donated bicycles out of the garage.
"LeBron!" one girl shouted.

"Don't worry, he'll be up there," her mother promised.

That was a promise she could keep on this Saturday, because no one here expected LeBron James to break his. The Akron-born NBA star pledged to return to help his hometown, even after taking his talents to South Beach and the Heat. This would be his first public appearance in Akron in the 30 days since his decision, for the fourth annual King for Kids Bike-A-Thon.

According to his business partner Maverick Carter, James has always biked to stay in shape, and thought it would be cool if Akron kids could do the same. Still, it was reasonable to wonder whether a hiatus was in order for this event, after Ohioans reacted to James' defection from the Cavaliers by cursing his name and burning his jerseys.

"I'm kind of nervous someone's gonna shoot us," said 15-year-old Jessica Gjurkovitch, who along with friend Casey Goff was brazen enough to wear a Heat jersey.

Instead, all anyone shot were photos. And, for all the things you could find here — from SpongeBob Squarepants to cheerleaders to trumpets to L-E-B-R-O-N letters to a banner on a trolley that said, "Thanks LeBron 4 EVERYTHING! Your grannies got your back" — the one thing you couldn't find were hard feelings.

"I think I see the students at the end of the road!" the emcee shouted to the couple thousand spectators. "You know what that means! Give it up as the King approaches!"

All eyes found James, wearing a red Coca-Cola style "Enjoy Akron" t-shirt, steering a bike, posing for photos and then taking the stage to shrieking as the DJ blasted the rap of Miami-based Rick Ross — a song called "I'm Not A Star" that includes a lyric about Dan Marino.

"LeBron James has said it throughout this world, that Akron, Ohio, is his hometown, and Akron, Ohio, will always be his hometown," Akron Mayor Don Plusquellic said as James folded his arms and grinned. "We thank him for that."

James took the mic. He called Akron the "city I love." He thanked the city of Cleveland, too, correcting an error he made with a newspaper ad omission. He said, "The most important thing to me is these kids on these bikes." Then, after LeBron's mother, Gloria, blew the horn, he and the kids were off, past the Lockview Restaurant, the Peanut Shoppe, Ray's Discount Drug, through downtown Akron.

Yes, Akron. That's the distinction the locals make sure to draw. On Dec. 2, James' Heat will play in Cleveland. The reception won't be kind. But many here cite differences with the larger city 40 miles to the north, claiming it was where he worked but did not love.

"This is home," said local radio host Rob Deck, who coached James in Pee Wees. "He'll always be welcome home. The thing about Cleveland is that it always wants to claim our people. Akron wasn't really Cavaliers fans, they were LeBron James fans. I disown the character of the parents who allowed those kids to burn those jerseys."

"You can't be mad at him," said Deion Sherrod, 32.

"What if he went from school straight to Miami?" Marcus Bentley, 33, chimed in. "Nobody could be mad then."

So Aletha Beasley, 37, will be a Heat fan now?

"Actually, yeah," she said. "If I wasn't scared of flights, for sure I'll be down there. If I thought I could drive it, I'll do it. But that's all right, I've got cable."

That wasn't necessary to see him Saturday. The bike ride complete, the party started on the Lock Park 3 stage. James participated in a version of Nickelodeon's "Brain Surge," watching an animated version of himself participate in various activities (such as taking drive-through hamburger orders), then taking a shot at other brain teasers. James and his young partner scored 50 points — good on an NBA court, not good enough to win this. The winners' reward? They got green slime dumped on them by their smiling hero.

James didn't get slimed. He got showered with praise. City council president Marco Sommerville shouted the town's "100 percent" support always: "And no matter what you do, no matter where you go, you will always be from Akron O-hi-o!"

After James surprised the city with a $30,000 check, he got a surprise, too. Dave Rathz, headmaster of St. Vincent-St. Mary, presented him with a 2002-03 national championship sign, the one that used to welcome visitors into town, the one he saved for seven years waiting for the right time to give it to him.

"This is for you, for your home, for your driveway, wherever you want to put it," Rathz told James.

Even if that home, and driveway, are in Coral Gables. Or Coconut Grove.

"That's all right, we made peace with his decision a long time ago," said Patty Burdon, a SVSM spokesperson. "It's the crazies who don't want to let it go. Just don't forget where he came from."

And, as was crystal clear Saturday, where he can still come back

.By Ethan J. Skolnick, Sun Sentinel

[h1]In Akron at least, there's still love for LeBron James[/h1]
AKRON — All you could see, starting shortly after 9 a.m., were spokes and smiles, as 400 kids started wheeling donated bicycles out of the garage.
"LeBron!" one girl shouted.

"Don't worry, he'll be up there," her mother promised.

That was a promise she could keep on this Saturday, because no one here expected LeBron James to break his. The Akron-born NBA star pledged to return to help his hometown, even after taking his talents to South Beach and the Heat. This would be his first public appearance in Akron in the 30 days since his decision, for the fourth annual King for Kids Bike-A-Thon.

According to his business partner Maverick Carter, James has always biked to stay in shape, and thought it would be cool if Akron kids could do the same. Still, it was reasonable to wonder whether a hiatus was in order for this event, after Ohioans reacted to James' defection from the Cavaliers by cursing his name and burning his jerseys.

"I'm kind of nervous someone's gonna shoot us," said 15-year-old Jessica Gjurkovitch, who along with friend Casey Goff was brazen enough to wear a Heat jersey.

Instead, all anyone shot were photos. And, for all the things you could find here — from SpongeBob Squarepants to cheerleaders to trumpets to L-E-B-R-O-N letters to a banner on a trolley that said, "Thanks LeBron 4 EVERYTHING! Your grannies got your back" — the one thing you couldn't find were hard feelings.

"I think I see the students at the end of the road!" the emcee shouted to the couple thousand spectators. "You know what that means! Give it up as the King approaches!"

All eyes found James, wearing a red Coca-Cola style "Enjoy Akron" t-shirt, steering a bike, posing for photos and then taking the stage to shrieking as the DJ blasted the rap of Miami-based Rick Ross — a song called "I'm Not A Star" that includes a lyric about Dan Marino.

"LeBron James has said it throughout this world, that Akron, Ohio, is his hometown, and Akron, Ohio, will always be his hometown," Akron Mayor Don Plusquellic said as James folded his arms and grinned. "We thank him for that."

James took the mic. He called Akron the "city I love." He thanked the city of Cleveland, too, correcting an error he made with a newspaper ad omission. He said, "The most important thing to me is these kids on these bikes." Then, after LeBron's mother, Gloria, blew the horn, he and the kids were off, past the Lockview Restaurant, the Peanut Shoppe, Ray's Discount Drug, through downtown Akron.

Yes, Akron. That's the distinction the locals make sure to draw. On Dec. 2, James' Heat will play in Cleveland. The reception won't be kind. But many here cite differences with the larger city 40 miles to the north, claiming it was where he worked but did not love.

"This is home," said local radio host Rob Deck, who coached James in Pee Wees. "He'll always be welcome home. The thing about Cleveland is that it always wants to claim our people. Akron wasn't really Cavaliers fans, they were LeBron James fans. I disown the character of the parents who allowed those kids to burn those jerseys."

"You can't be mad at him," said Deion Sherrod, 32.

"What if he went from school straight to Miami?" Marcus Bentley, 33, chimed in. "Nobody could be mad then."

So Aletha Beasley, 37, will be a Heat fan now?

"Actually, yeah," she said. "If I wasn't scared of flights, for sure I'll be down there. If I thought I could drive it, I'll do it. But that's all right, I've got cable."

That wasn't necessary to see him Saturday. The bike ride complete, the party started on the Lock Park 3 stage. James participated in a version of Nickelodeon's "Brain Surge," watching an animated version of himself participate in various activities (such as taking drive-through hamburger orders), then taking a shot at other brain teasers. James and his young partner scored 50 points — good on an NBA court, not good enough to win this. The winners' reward? They got green slime dumped on them by their smiling hero.

James didn't get slimed. He got showered with praise. City council president Marco Sommerville shouted the town's "100 percent" support always: "And no matter what you do, no matter where you go, you will always be from Akron O-hi-o!"

After James surprised the city with a $30,000 check, he got a surprise, too. Dave Rathz, headmaster of St. Vincent-St. Mary, presented him with a 2002-03 national championship sign, the one that used to welcome visitors into town, the one he saved for seven years waiting for the right time to give it to him.

"This is for you, for your home, for your driveway, wherever you want to put it," Rathz told James.

Even if that home, and driveway, are in Coral Gables. Or Coconut Grove.

"That's all right, we made peace with his decision a long time ago," said Patty Burdon, a SVSM spokesperson. "It's the crazies who don't want to let it go. Just don't forget where he came from."

And, as was crystal clear Saturday, where he can still come back

.By Ethan J. Skolnick, Sun Sentinel

good for akron and lebron.... while people in cleveland still acting like ex girlfriends

good for akron and lebron.... while people in cleveland still acting like ex girlfriends

Back
Top Bottom