Let's face reality, Obama failed.

Where is the op dude started some *%# and backed off dont fall for it
tired.gif

Originally Posted by crcballer55

Originally Posted by Essential1

Most people need loans for college myself included... Something needs to be done on interest/ ability to pay it back...

What exactly? I couldn't tell you...
The cost of college is only the symptom.  The real problem is that we have told everyone that they should go to college and get a better education.  Not everyone should go to college from a maturity or financial standpoint.  Once you tell everyone that they need to do something, then the basic supply and demand curve comes into account.  If the demand for a certain item becomes high, them the cost of it will follow.  For an example, we just need to look at the housing market.  The government tried to push the banks into making cheaper loans to less qualified people which then created a bubble.  A similar curve has occurred with the cost of higher education as well.  With over 43% of kids dropping out of school, they are then left with student loans and no way to pay them back.  Bottom line... if you want to make college more affordable, eliminate most of the loan programs and then the economic balance will come back into play.

Besides... what's wrong with community colleges?  You still learn the same stuff at 1/10th of the cost of most four year state schools.

Then someone like me who is on the dean's list every semester doesn't go to college, and I would not become a Teacher (which is what I am planning on doing).

Eliminating most loan programs basically allows only those who could already afford it go.. Basically recycling wealth.

Rich stay rich.. Poor stay poor..

I won't become rich as a teacher but looking at the pay of all my former teachers and others around the area.. In my mid 30s to late 30's, I'd be making what my parents make combined, and love what I'm doing..
It's actually contrary to what one might think about the subject.  I'll take California as an example since I live here and get to hear about the "good ole days" quite often.  Back on the 1960's, before we had most of the social programs to get everyone into college, higher education was free to anyone living in the state.  That's right... you didn't have to pay ANYTHING.  That went for the wealthy, as well as the lower class kids who qualified to get in.  Fast forward to the last couple years, and the cost of state schools has increased by almost 50% per year!  Private schools have also been increasing at almost a double digit clip as well.  Now... some of the cost for the state schools is due to state mismanagement of funds going into the system.  Most of it though lies with the increased amount of federal money flowing into the system through Fannie Mae. 

There are plenty of scholarships available to high performing kids or kids who just apply for them.  I have no problem with that since it's a direct investment by private companies to encourage growth in the educational system.  When government does it though it's coming out of the taxpayers pockets mostly without their say in the matter.

student-loan-scheme.jpg

Most people need loans for college myself included... Something needs to be done on interest/ ability to pay it back...

The cost of college is only the symptom.  The real problem is that we have told everyone that they should go to college and get a better education.  Not everyone should go to college from a maturity or financial standpoint.  Once you tell everyone that they need to do something, then the basic supply and demand curve comes into account.  If the demand for a certain item becomes high, them the cost of it will follow.  For an example, we just need to look at the housing market.  The government tried to push the banks into making cheaper loans to less qualified people which then created a bubble.  A similar curve has occurred with the cost of higher education as well.  With over 43% of kids dropping out of school, they are then left with student loans and no way to pay them back.  Bottom line... if you want to make college more affordable, eliminate most of the loan programs and then the economic balance will come back into play.

Besides... what's wrong with community colleges?  You still learn the same stuff at 1/10th of the cost of most four year state schools.

Then someone like me who is on the dean's list every semester doesn't go to college, and I would not become a Teacher (which is what I am planning on doing).

Eliminating most loan programs basically allows only those who could already afford it go.. Basically recycling wealth.

Rich stay rich.. Poor stay poor..

I won't become rich as a teacher but looking at the pay of all my former teachers and others around the area.. In my mid 30s to late 30's, I'd be making what my parents make combined, and love what I'm doing..
It's actually contrary to what one might think about the subject.  I'll take California as an example since I live here and get to hear about the "good ole days" quite often.  Back on the 1960's, before we had most of the social programs to get everyone into college, higher education was free to anyone living in the state.  That's right... you didn't have to pay ANYTHING.  That went for the wealthy, as well as the lower class kids who qualified to get in.  Fast forward to the last couple years, and the cost of state schools has increased by almost 50% per year!  Private schools have also been increasing at almost a double digit clip as well.  Now... some of the cost for the state schools is due to state mismanagement of funds going into the system.  Most of it though lies with the increased amount of federal money flowing into the system through Fannie Mae. 

There are plenty of scholarships available to high performing kids or kids who just apply for them.  I have no problem with that since it's a direct investment by private companies to encourage growth in the educational system.  When government does it though it's coming out of the taxpayers pockets mostly without their say in the matter.

student-loan-scheme.jpg

Cut defense spending dramatically - if he ends the wars this year?

Entitlement reform.

Get out of Afghanistan and Iraq.

The jury's still out. Way too early to call him a success/failure.

It's easy to Blame Bush, but come on. His presidency was an absolute train wreck. Every problem I listed above was caused or significantly worsened by the Bush presidency.

Health care reform is a mystery to me and to everyone - what will we really know until 2014 when the major parts of the legislation go into effect?

I'd vote for him again. I don't want him to just "cut spending" with random minuscule budget cuts - I want him and the GOP to reform the way the U.S. spends its money on Medicare, Medicaid and DoD.

Entitlement reform.

It's easy to Blame Bush, but come on. His presidency was an absolute train wreck. Every problem I listed above was caused or significantly worsened by the Bush presidency.

Health care reform is a mystery to me and to everyone - what will we really know until 2014 when the major parts of the legislation go into effect?

I'd vote for him again. I don't want him to just "cut spending" with random minuscule budget cuts - I want him and the GOP to reform the way the U.S. spends its money on Medicare, Medicaid and DoD.

When a nation starts looking at education from an economic standpoint and people think "The real problem is that we have told everyone that they should go to college and get a better education.  Not everyone should go to college from a maturity or financial standpoint" is a rational statement, there is something fundamentally wrong with that society.
It should have nothing to do with how much money your family has, or how much your father makes. It should have a lot more to do with maturity levels, but that says a lot more about high schools in this country as well. The entire education system needs to be revamped and we need more government funding for college students so they have a chance to get a good secondary education. There are countries in Europe where school is nearly free K-graduate. Why is that so impossible to do in this country?

When a nation starts looking at education from an economic standpoint and people think "The real problem is that we have told everyone that they should go to college and get a better education.  Not everyone should go to college from a maturity or financial standpoint" is a rational statement, there is something fundamentally wrong with that society.
It should have nothing to do with how much money your family has, or how much your father makes. It should have a lot more to do with maturity levels, but that says a lot more about high schools in this country as well. The entire education system needs to be revamped and we need more government funding for college students so they have a chance to get a good secondary education. There are countries in Europe where school is nearly free K-graduate. Why is that so impossible to do in this country?

Originally Posted by CallHimAR

My ultimate thesis is that some people just aren't cut out for the academic world for whatever reason.  That is why I am a strong proponent of developing technical skills such as auto shop, wood shop, and home ec. in high school.  That way if college doesn't work out, they at least have something to fall on.

Remember, nothing in the world is free.  It's a determination of how much money is in the system and how efficiently it's used.  The U.S. already spends more per student that any other country in the world and we're not even in the top 20 performers.  We could make a whole new discussion on K-12 education, but we'll keep it with Obama's achievements unless we want to start a new thread just on education
wink.gif

Originally Posted by CallHimAR

My ultimate thesis is that some people just aren't cut out for the academic world for whatever reason.  That is why I am a strong proponent of developing technical skills such as auto shop, wood shop, and home ec. in high school.  That way if college doesn't work out, they at least have something to fall on.

Remember, nothing in the world is free.  It's a determination of how much money is in the system and how efficiently it's used.  The U.S. already spends more per student that any other country in the world and we're not even in the top 20 performers.  We could make a whole new discussion on K-12 education, but we'll keep it with Obama's achievements unless we want to start a new thread just on education
wink.gif

Originally Posted by pdouly33

Entitlement reform.

What happens when those soldiers return to America and can't find jobs?

Originally Posted by pdouly33

Entitlement reform.

What happens when those soldiers return to America and can't find jobs?

To chime in on that Afghanistan/Iraq talk...I'm in the military and I will tell you...we are NEVER leaving there....that is MONEY.

To chime in on that Afghanistan/Iraq talk...I'm in the military and I will tell you...we are NEVER leaving there....that is MONEY.

Originally Posted by IgnantBliss

Pretty much.

Imagine if we never went into Iraq we'd probably been done with all this Afghanistan nonsense for a good 3-5 years by now..

$775 billion,  down the drain...  And because we wasted $775 billion in Iraq, and ignored Afghanistan from late 2002- early 2009.. The $379 in Afghanistan has been wasted also...  1.1 Trillion... Gone.. For no reason.. 10 years later, and I can't tell you what we got out of these 2 wars, except dead Americans, innocent civilians murdered, the middle east even more angry at us, wasted money that could have gone elsewhere, ignoring problems in the United States, and we overthrew the wrong government..

We could have used that $775 billion for education.. Or Social Security.. Or paying off the debt/deficit..  Hell I'd rather have a daily $50K free crack giveaway at this point...

Politics still matter, and I laugh at those who say it doesn't.. I guess we have to wait for this generation to take over and give it the old college try..  Because our parents generation has royally screwed us, and then they talk about our future like they truly gave a damn...

Originally Posted by IgnantBliss

Pretty much.

Imagine if we never went into Iraq we'd probably been done with all this Afghanistan nonsense for a good 3-5 years by now..

$775 billion,  down the drain...  And because we wasted $775 billion in Iraq, and ignored Afghanistan from late 2002- early 2009.. The $379 in Afghanistan has been wasted also...  1.1 Trillion... Gone.. For no reason.. 10 years later, and I can't tell you what we got out of these 2 wars, except dead Americans, innocent civilians murdered, the middle east even more angry at us, wasted money that could have gone elsewhere, ignoring problems in the United States, and we overthrew the wrong government..

We could have used that $775 billion for education.. Or Social Security.. Or paying off the debt/deficit..  Hell I'd rather have a daily $50K free crack giveaway at this point...

Politics still matter, and I laugh at those who say it doesn't.. I guess we have to wait for this generation to take over and give it the old college try..  Because our parents generation has royally screwed us, and then they talk about our future like they truly gave a damn...

Obama and Bush are relatives of royalty. He is just a face to keep everyone distracted. With all the problems in today's economy I find it very upsetting to see him on sportscenter and every other show promoted for the youth. Everything Obama campaigned for has seem to go in the opposite way. Fail is an understatement. All I see are commercials promoting African Americans to feel as if America has now accepted Our way of life. Now the Hispanics are left to sill be the slaves come to Texas see for yourself. Obama is more white then black when has a mixed Hawaiian been accepted as voice of the minority. Government should be abolished too believe it's a necessity shows how childish and simple minded we are. How can things be fixed with more debt.I wish there was a place for The OG NTs too many useless post everyone wants their fame. Fame is a hell of a drug.

Obama and Bush are relatives of royalty. He is just a face to keep everyone distracted. With all the problems in today's economy I find it very upsetting to see him on sportscenter and every other show promoted for the youth. Everything Obama campaigned for has seem to go in the opposite way. Fail is an understatement. All I see are commercials promoting African Americans to feel as if America has now accepted Our way of life. Now the Hispanics are left to sill be the slaves come to Texas see for yourself. Obama is more white then black when has a mixed Hawaiian been accepted as voice of the minority. Government should be abolished too believe it's a necessity shows how childish and simple minded we are. How can things be fixed with more debt.I wish there was a place for The OG NTs too many useless post everyone wants their fame. Fame is a hell of a drug.

Back
Top Bottom