Mark Teixeira Close To Making a Decision...

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Who was our big name hitter in 2002? A-Rod? Pujols? Bonds? Vladdy?
exactly... we should go back to Angel baseball. that means, no big name free agents, but a bunch of hardworking team players (that don'tcost so much).

Aite, now who's gonna play 1st for us now? Morales? Quinlan?
embarassed.gif
sick.gif

I'm not talking big name, I'm talking big PRODUCTION. A hitter that garners respect and fear from pitchers.

Do you have faith Vlad will return to form? I hope he does but like I have said on many occasions I wouldn't count on that because you can't play theway he plays and sustain numbers like that forever, when it drops it will drop quick.

Glaus was having kind of a down year in 2002 but turned it on in the second half and in the playoffs (to the tune of 1.191 OPS
eek.gif
) I don't see anyone on the Angles who can do that. If there is one thing thatseems to be consistent about the MLB playoffs if you don't have an elite hitter (or somewhere close to that) your chances aren't very good.

Without Teixeira that lineup is rather pedestrian, plus it's not like the Angles don't have money, they can afford Teixeira.

EDIT

You guys overpaid for Torri Hunter why no Teixeira?

Osh Kosh Bosh:
I hate when people use this kind of reasoning. Taking exceptions or mistakes and labeling them 'precedents' is ignorant.

Osh Kosh Bosh:
I hate when people use this kind of reasoning. Taking exceptions or mistakes and labeling them 'precedents' is ignorant.
Well good luck battling Boston, Tampa Bay, Yankees, etc etc
after losing........ Anderson, Garland, K-Rod, AND Tex
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Shoot even the Yankees offense right now might not be good enough. There are some GOOD teams in the AL

[h1]Mark Teixeira Rumors: Monday[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [December 22 at 9:02am CST]

ESPN's Buster Olney sums up theMark Teixeira situation in his blog today. Olney says Teixeira's "leverage has probably maxed out, and now only runs the risk ofbeing diminished." The status of the involved teams:
  • Angels: out of the running.
  • Yankees: Olney says they initially made an offer that was markedly less than other teams, and have since withdrawn it.
  • Orioles: Olney says they're at seven years, $140MM (as opposed to the $140-150MM range we've seen reported). Offer has not been upgraded.
  • Nationals: eight years, $160MM based on published reports. Olney is not sure whether the Nats have raised this offer but heard from confidants of "one high-ranking executive" that they have not. Olney's Nationals sources expressed pessimism about their chances.
  • Joe Posnanski: out of the bidding.
  • Red Sox: Were willing to do $170-175MM when they flew out to meet Teixeira and Scott Boras; "might be nudged to $180MM." We know that the Red Sox did not pull their offer, but haven't spoken to Boras since Thursday night.
  • Olney wonders: will Boras shoot for $190MM with the intent of topping Derek Jeter's $189MM?

TBONE95860:
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Shoot even the Yankees offense right now might not be good enough. There are some GOOD teams in the AL

You're right. Matter of fact, we should just fold our franchise.

laugh.gif

Don't be ridiculous.

#1. Rewind a year ago. I tell you the Devil Rays are going to drop 'Devil', and make it to the WS with Longoria and Crawford as their offensive andclubhouse leaders. You laugh, knowing who Crawford is. Then you stop laughing, and ask 'Wait, who's... Longoria?' I tell you 'Oh, he's inthe minors right now.' Now what's your response.

ROFLOL

That's your response.

I'm not saying we're going to duplicate what the Rays did, or what we did in '02. I'm saying that you're ridiculous if you don't seethat teams become winning teams because they make winning personnel decisions, not because they have a few good players right now at the moment. Winning teamswill continue to win after their best players are gone, because new 'best players' were being formed while those 'best layers' were doing theirthing.

#2. It's not guaranteed that we won't have Teix. Yes, for th price, I hope someone else has him (except the Sox and Yanks), but I'm saying...it's not guaranteed that we won't have him. No one has him right now. When he is wearing a non-Angels jersey, it will be guaranteed that we won'thave him next year.

#3. K-Rod and Garland play offense?

#4. Did Vladdy, GMJr, and Torii die? I'm not saying they're going to be this huge problem for other pitchers, but you're talking like Anderson andTeix were just galaxies better than those 3. I don't expect a whole lot more from Vladdy than he gave us last season, because he's aging quickly, but Istill expect good things from him, Torii, GMJr, and Kendrick.

Osh Kosh Bosh:
I was kidding, sorry if that was not clear.
laugh.gif

The main point is that teams that win World Series have elite hitters, Vlad is looks older and older by the day and unless Brandon Wood develops mad fast thanyour team lacks one.

TBONE95860:
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

You're right. Matter of fact, we should just fold our franchise.

laugh.gif

Don't be ridiculous.

#1. Rewind a year ago. I tell you the Devil Rays are going to drop 'Devil', and make it to the WS with Longoria and Crawford as their offensive and clubhouse leaders. You laugh, knowing who Crawford is. Then you stop laughing, and ask 'Wait, who's... Longoria?' I tell you 'Oh, he's in the minors right now.' Now what's your response.

ROFLOL

That's your response.

I'm not saying we're going to duplicate what the Rays did, or what we did in '02. I'm saying that you're ridiculous if you don't see that teams become winning teams because they make winning personnel decisions, not because they have a few good players right now at the moment. Winning teams will continue to win after their best players are gone, because new 'best players' were being formed while those 'best layers' were doing their thing.

#2. It's not guaranteed that we won't have Teix. Yes, for th price, I hope someone else has him (except the Sox and Yanks), but I'm saying... it's not guaranteed that we won't have him. No one has him right now. When he is wearing a non-Angels jersey, it will be guaranteed that we won't have him next year.

#3. K-Rod and Garland play offense?

#4. Did Vladdy, GMJr, and Torii die? I'm not saying they're going to be this huge problem for other pitchers, but you're talking like Anderson and Teix were just galaxies better than those 3. I don't expect a whole lot more from Vladdy than he gave us last season, because he's aging quickly, but I still expect good things from him, Torii, GMJr, and Kendrick.

Torri Hunter is nothing more than an above average hitter (a broke Vernon Wells) and his glove is not the as good as it once was so I don'tknow why you are mentioning him. GMJr? Dude hasn't been relevant 2006, and even when he was he wasn't any thing special.

Howie is fine but he doesn't get on base at any exceptional rate and he doesn't hit for power, that does not add up to elite, he is completely relianton his contact rate which if you ask Robinson Cano that can come and go with a quickness.

The Rays are a different case because they have lights out pitching and tons of players who have high enough ceilings where them developing into big timehitters is entirely possible. BJ Upton has more talent than 90% of baseball and you saw what kind of damage a healthy BJ Upton can do without a shoulderinjury draining him of his power. Plus everyone and their mother new Longoria was going to be a star. The Rays are a special case they had a glut of talentwhich the Angels doen't have. Unless you plan to really on Napoli and Wood to become big time hitters who both can't hold Longoria and Uptons jock.

Without Teixeira that lineup is rather pedestrian, plus it's not like the Angles don't have money, they can afford Teixeira.
Without Teixeira, that's a marginal offense at best... It was terribly average with Kotchman last year, and he's light years ahead ofanybody they've got for the position now...

Unless they make a move, that's going to be a bad/average offensive baseball team...
Did Vladdy, GMJr, and Torii die? I'm not saying they're going to be this huge problem for other pitchers, but you're talking like Anderson and Teix were just galaxies better than those 3.
But Mark Teixeira IS galaxies better than anybody else the Angels can run out to the plate... It's not even close...

Vladdy has been declining for a couple of years and GMJ and Torii Hunter's declines aren't far behind...

Kendrick is about the only guy you look at in that group right now that you think "OK, there's a guy that's got real, legitimate upside to growfrom what we've seen in the past." ... And even that's only if he can stay healthy for a change...

Maybe Brandon Wood figures things out and becomes the legitimate major league bat people have thought of him as in the past, but is that what you want to becounting on come 2009?

Even the guys out there right now that they could acquire through trade or FA are on the back sides of their primes or already past them... Adam Dunn? PatBurrell? Paul Konerko? Ugh...

I mean, I'm just saying, you'd have to be really naive (and you'd have to think I'm ******ed) if you're going to tell me that you weresaying 'Yep, that right there is a World Series champion team; they can beat any team in every playoff series they play' when you looked at our rosterin March 2002.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Osh Kosh Bosh:
laugh.gif

The main point is that teams that win World Series have elite hitters, Vlad is looks older and older by the day and unless Brandon Wood develops mad fast than your team lacks one.

That's not true at all.

Elite pitching almost always trumps elite hitting in the playoffs.

Originally Posted by koolbarbone

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Osh Kosh Bosh:
laugh.gif

The main point is that teams that win World Series have elite hitters, Vlad is looks older and older by the day and unless Brandon Wood develops mad fast than your team lacks one.
That's not true at all.

Elite pitching almost always trumps elite hitting in the playoffs.

The Angels have neither and they seem very content.
I'm not talking about what trumps what I'm talking about what most teams who go to the world series posses and every team has a at least one playerthat strikes fear into the opposing pitcher.

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

How many pages with this thread go before there is an actual decision?
laugh.gif

Seriously. He's been "close" for over a week now. He's like the Yuku support staff.

Originally Posted by Frankie CALentino

Stop trying to make the Angels out to be some underdog. FYI the Rays will finished third in the division, they maxed out.

Rockies_revised300px_wi.jpg

7:20pm: Roch Kubatko of MASN Online learnedfrom multiple sources that the Nationals "have sweetened their proposal to Teixeira, offering him an eight-year deal worth $178-184MM." He'sbeen told they're willing to go nine years and there's been talk of ten.

eek.gif
eek.gif

The Rays have retained all their pitching and added the number 1 prospect in baseball David Price while jettisoning their biggest liability Edwin Jackson. Sotheir rotation looks like this.

Scott Kazmir (Bonafied ace)
Matt Garza (Still hasn't hit his ceiling)
James Shields (Judging from his 1.14 whip that his 3.56 ERA is only going to get lower)
Andy Sonnanstien
David Price (budding superstar)

Not to mention y'all still don't realize how loaded the Rays Minor league system is thy still have Wade Daviswaiting in the wings who looks to be a number strong number 2 or an ace in due time.

The Rockies are nothing like the Rays.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Yoda

Originally Posted by Frankie CALentino

Stop trying to make the Angels out to be some underdog. FYI the Rays will finish third in the division, they maxed out.

Rockies_revised300px_wi.jpg

I see you agree with me. Everything went right for the Rays last year, no one is gonna take them lightly and they have not made any impact additions word tothe 06 Tigers and 05 Astros.

Originally Posted by TBONE95860

7:20pm: Roch Kubatko of MASN Online learned from multiple sources that the Nationals "have sweetened their proposal to Teixeira, offering him an eight-year deal worth $178-184MM." He's been told they're willing to go nine years and there's been talk of ten.

eek.gif
eek.gif

my interest in the Tex sweepstakes has faded, but now my interest has perked again with that news!
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

just make Tex an offer he can't refuse and end this saga!

Back
Top Bottom