Much Props to Michael Irvin for standing up for marriage equality

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Originally Posted by JimiLebowski

If gays can get married, why cant I have more than 1 wife (legally), and why can't i marry my second or third cousin (legally).

Gay marriage is a monogamous relationship lets keep that in mind, so there are no added advantages in comparison to a heterosexual marriage. I agree that polygamy should be recognized....however I don't think this should come with added benefits.

Do you genuinely want to marry your third cousin, show me a significant following of people who are willing to fight for their right to marry their cousins and I would support it. Doesn't affect me in any way.

Before people bring up animals and children-the answer is consent which children and animals cannot provide.
Eh, people fighting for the right to marry within their family is probably hard to come by. However the idea has been going on for thousands of years, heavily within royal families. Even one of my heroes Einstein married his cousin. I suppose it's just more accustom to European countries and other countries outside of the United States. 
United States is about as backwards as "ssirk ssork" on a lot of issues. 

Originally Posted by rayray3thousand

Originally Posted by Deuce King

Irvin now believes the African-American community should support marriage equality.

5922543e67b91a0e43e26814f2554b0991b3088.jpg
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

one of the greatest gif executions I have seen in a long time

word
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif

If gays can get married, why cant I have more than 1 wife (legally), and why can't i marry my second or third cousin (legally).

Gay marriage is a monogamous relationship lets keep that in mind, so there are no added advantages in comparison to a heterosexual marriage. I agree that polygamy should be recognized....however I don't think this should come with added benefits.

Do you genuinely want to marry your third cousin, show me a significant following of people who are willing to fight for their right to marry their cousins and I would support it. Doesn't affect me in any way.

Before people bring up animals and children-the answer is consent which children and animals cannot provide.
Eh, people fighting for the right to marry within their family is probably hard to come by. However the idea has been going on for thousands of years, heavily within royal families. Even one of my heroes Einstein married his cousin. I suppose it's just more accustom to European countries and other countries outside of the United States. 
Yea in a lot of cultures, royal families practice incest to keep the blood pure. I'm just curious as to if there's a following in the common population of people who want to marry their relatives.

Yea in a lot of cultures, royal families practice incest to keep the blood pure. I'm just curious as to if there's a following in the common population of people who want to marry their relatives.

Many homosexuals can and do have children using surrogates/donor=Continuity of life (yes believe it or not we don't live in the 1800s and this is possible)
Many homosexuals adopt children abandoned by heterosexuals-assists in the continuation of human life

So in other words for the examples you provided above regarding homosexuals...........they need help.  No doubt.

Many heterosexuals give birth to homosexuals--by your way of thinking those parents are not deserving of marriage or equal treatment and neither are parents who choose to forgo having children.

I never said that and that's a horrible assumption on your part champ, just horrible. 

No one is forcing the Church to acknowledge marriage, the fight is for same sex marriages to be recognized "legally".

Doesn't a civil union give same sex couples these rights and recognizes them as well??

A civil union is saying that we are making gays equal but keeping their marriage/union separate, and the last time I checked separate but equal was outlawed. This is why a civil union is not acceptable

Also all though I am 100% for gay marriage, I don't believe that a church should be forced to marry a couple. If a church refuses to marry a gay couple I'm fine with that simply based on separation of church and state.

Many homosexuals can and do have children using surrogates/donor=Continuity of life (yes believe it or not we don't live in the 1800s and this is possible)
Many homosexuals adopt children abandoned by heterosexuals-assists in the continuation of human life

So in other words for the examples you provided above regarding homosexuals...........they need help.  No doubt.

Many heterosexuals give birth to homosexuals--by your way of thinking those parents are not deserving of marriage or equal treatment and neither are parents who choose to forgo having children.

I never said that and that's a horrible assumption on your part champ, just horrible. 

No one is forcing the Church to acknowledge marriage, the fight is for same sex marriages to be recognized "legally".

Doesn't a civil union give same sex couples these rights and recognizes them as well??

A civil union is saying that we are making gays equal but keeping their marriage/union separate, and the last time I checked separate but equal was outlawed. This is why a civil union is not acceptable

Also all though I am 100% for gay marriage, I don't believe that a church should be forced to marry a couple. If a church refuses to marry a gay couple I'm fine with that simply based on separation of church and state.

Originally Posted by HankMoody

I don't get why people are making this out to be a big deal. A celebrity poses in that manner every month on the cover Men's Health or w/e...

Guess u wasn't around when big daddy kane wilded out on playgirl...

Originally Posted by HankMoody

I don't get why people are making this out to be a big deal. A celebrity poses in that manner every month on the cover Men's Health or w/e...

Guess u wasn't around when big daddy kane wilded out on playgirl...

Originally Posted by rocman23

well said, i don't think the church should be forced to marry anyone. If a church is that bigoted just find another church.

Originally Posted by rocman23

well said, i don't think the church should be forced to marry anyone. If a church is that bigoted just find another church.

Wait.. are some people on NT against homosexuals getting married? That's surprising. I am no history buff but it is so similar as when slaves could not get married, and then interracial marriages could not happen. Those people were stripped of their rights and now it is happening again with homosexuals ( well continues to happen) . Two consenting adults that love each other are not able to be married because.. why?

Wait.. are some people on NT against homosexuals getting married? That's surprising. I am no history buff but it is so similar as when slaves could not get married, and then interracial marriages could not happen. Those people were stripped of their rights and now it is happening again with homosexuals ( well continues to happen) . Two consenting adults that love each other are not able to be married because.. why?

Originally Posted by And I Love It

Mannnn...slaves were raped by the millions and forced to breed babies like farm animals it is not "so similar".

Read a book.

Mannnn...slaves were raped by the millions and forced to breed babies like farm animals it is not "so similar".

Read a book.

Originally Posted by goldenchild9

Read a book.
Serious? Of course the treatment of slaves overall was worse but we are talking about marriage. I was just giving examples from history of groups of people that had restricted marriage laws/etc and how now the idea of interracial marriage being illegal probably seems stupid to you now (Unless you are from Mississippi maybe ) but back then it was a stronger idea. I think it will be the same way with gay marriage. In a few years it will be crazy that people debated it and that it was illegal. That is all. I am not comparing the hardships gone through by gays and slaves and blacks, etc. Just the idea that these groups of people have been unable to marry.

Read a book.
Serious? Of course the treatment of slaves overall was worse but we are talking about marriage. I was just giving examples from history of groups of people that had restricted marriage laws/etc and how now the idea of interracial marriage being illegal probably seems stupid to you now (Unless you are from Mississippi maybe ) but back then it was a stronger idea. I think it will be the same way with gay marriage. In a few years it will be crazy that people debated it and that it was illegal. That is all. I am not comparing the hardships gone through by gays and slaves and blacks, etc. Just the idea that these groups of people have been unable to marry.

Read a book.
Serious? Of course the treatment of slaves overall was worse but we are talking about marriage. I was just giving examples from history of groups of people that had restricted marriage laws/etc.
How is it "so similar"? Slaves couldn't even choose who they wanted to sleep with...THEY DIDN'T EVEN HAVE FAMILIES. Marriage was illegal for them because they had NO LEGAL RIGHTS. When comparing the 2 struggles they are about as polar opposite as you can get. There were no slave protests in DC or slave governors pushing slave marriage bills, no states that allowed slave civil union, they were not even considered human beings. To compare the struggle of "African slaves" in the Americas being denied the right to marry to the struggle of gays in 2011 fighting for marriage equality is totally idiotic. 

Read a book.
Serious? Of course the treatment of slaves overall was worse but we are talking about marriage. I was just giving examples from history of groups of people that had restricted marriage laws/etc.
How is it "so similar"? Slaves couldn't even choose who they wanted to sleep with...THEY DIDN'T EVEN HAVE FAMILIES. Marriage was illegal for them because they had NO LEGAL RIGHTS. When comparing the 2 struggles they are about as polar opposite as you can get. There were no slave protests in DC or slave governors pushing slave marriage bills, no states that allowed slave civil union, they were not even considered human beings. To compare the struggle of "African slaves" in the Americas being denied the right to marry to the struggle of gays in 2011 fighting for marriage equality is totally idiotic. 

Read a book.

How many times do we have to say this?
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

The irony of you telling people to read, is the fact that you're completely dismissing what the comparison is that is being made in this thread. For the record in many parts of the world gay people are being treated like animals (but for the sake of simplicity and ignorance let's focus on American society).  Gays are lucky to be making this movement in a more progressive American society during a more progressive time. MLK used another civil rights movement that was "not the same" as inspiration for the American civil rights movement.  Clearly no one is saying that gay people were enslaved etc...we are however bringing to light the irony and hypocrisy of a race that has been denied many rights in the past displaying the same mentality as their oppressors on another group. No one is saying gay people worked in cotton fields.
laugh.gif

Clearly most civil rights movements made from here on isn't going to be as severe as the other. But the purpose of history is to learn from our mistakes...which is why this  argument and "comparison" is very relevant.

Read a book.

How many times do we have to say this?
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

The irony of you telling people to read, is the fact that you're completely dismissing what the comparison is that is being made in this thread. For the record in many parts of the world gay people are being treated like animals (but for the sake of simplicity and ignorance let's focus on American society).  Gays are lucky to be making this movement in a more progressive American society during a more progressive time. MLK used another civil rights movement that was "not the same" as inspiration for the American civil rights movement.  Clearly no one is saying that gay people were enslaved etc...we are however bringing to light the irony and hypocrisy of a race that has been denied many rights in the past displaying the same mentality as their oppressors on another group. No one is saying gay people worked in cotton fields.
laugh.gif

Clearly most civil rights movements made from here on isn't going to be as severe as the other. But the purpose of history is to learn from our mistakes...which is why this  argument and "comparison" is very relevant.

Read a book.
Ok, not "so similar", sorry for my wording. I wouldn't say they are polar opposites. Obviously gays have rights and slaves did not. However, it is a new time. Gays are still treated as unequal in ways just like slaves were ( slaves were treated as nothing). It is less extreme but there are similarities in that it is a group that has a less amount of rights as another group just because of some factor. (being a slave, being black, being gay).

Read a book.
Ok, not "so similar", sorry for my wording. I wouldn't say they are polar opposites. Obviously gays have rights and slaves did not. However, it is a new time. Gays are still treated as unequal in ways just like slaves were ( slaves were treated as nothing). It is less extreme but there are similarities in that it is a group that has a less amount of rights as another group just because of some factor. (being a slave, being black, being gay).

Back
Top Bottom