NBA 2K11 Official Thread (Patch Put for PS3 & XBOX 360)

Game's gonna be sick. Some MJ Challenges

The Arrival
When: April 20, 1986. Game 2, 1st round playoffs vs. Celtics
Goal 1: Score 63+ points
Goal 2: Shoot 50%+ from the field
Summary: Jordan made his mark with this 63 point playoff game against a heavily favored Celtics team.

69 Points
When: March 28, 1990. Regular season game vs. Cavs
Goal 1: Score 69+ points
Goal 2: Shoot 50%+ from the field
Goal 3: Win the game
Summary: This time Jordan gets the win by dropping 69 points and putting a dent in the Cavaliers' playoff plans.

Shootout
When: Any date in 1990. Regular season game vs. Hawks
Goal 1: Outscore Dominique
Goal 2: Hold Dominique under 25 Points
Summary: Jordan and Dominique Wilkins face off in some of the all-time greatest scoring performances of the era.

Bad Boys
When: May 26, 1990. Game 3, Eastern Conference Finals vs. Pistons
Goal 1: Score 47+ points
Goal 2: Win the game
Summary: Jordan showed the Pistons and the world that no defensive strategy could stop him for long.

1991 NBA Finals
When: June 2 thru June 12, 1991 vs. Lakers
Goal 1: Average 31.0+ points
Goal 2: Shoot 55%+ from the field
Goal 3: Win the series
Summary: Jordan silenced the doubters by coming back from a game one embarrassment to thrash the Lakers in these Finals.

The Shrug
When: June 3, 1992. Game 1, 1st round playoffs vs. Blazers
Goal 1: Score 35+ points in the first half
Goal 2: Make 6+ threes in the first half
make 6+ threes in the 1st half
Goal 2: Hold Drexler to under 20 points
Goal 3: Win the Game
Summary: Just to prove a point, Jordan sets the tone for the series by dominating the first half of this first Finals game.

Double Nickel
When: March 18, 1995. Regular season game vs. Knicks
Goal 1: Score 55+ points
Goal 2: Shoot 55%+ from the field
Summary: After a stint with the bat, Jordan returns to New York to tear up the Knicks for 55 points and an unforgettable pass.

Father's Day Victory
When: June 16, 1996. Game 6, 1996 Finals (last game of series as Bulls won 4-2) vs. Sonics
Goal 1: Score 22+ points
Goal 2: Grab 9+ rebounds
Summary: Michael ran the table over the entire league but this fourth title would prove to be just as special as his first.

The Flu Game
When: June 11, 1997. Game 6, 1997 Finals (not the last game of the series as it went to 7) vs. Jazz
Goal 1: Score 38+ points
Goal 2: Grab 7+ rebounds
Summary: A very ill Jordan still manages to both dominate the game and hit the winning shot in the last seconds of the game.

Michael's Last Dance
When: June 14, 1998. Game 6, 1998 Finals vs. Jazz
Goal 1: Score 45+ points
Goal 2: Get 4+ steals
Summary: With one final resounding shot, Jordan seals both his legacy and the fate of the Jazz's championship hopes.

Full IGN preview: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/110/1109517p1.html

Main points

First, let's go over how the dribbling mechanics have changed. Rather than holding the right trigger and the left trigger or just the left trigger or some weird timed combination of the two of them, the left trigger holds most of your dribbling moves this year. Simply holding the left trigger and maneuvering the left stick gets you all sorts of moves, but this year they should all make sense.
If the ball is in your right hand and you flick it to the right, he's going to feign a crossover. If you then bring the left stick over to the left, the animation is going to bridge to a full crossover. Of course there are also variants of the crossover from there. Through other finite motions with the left stick (such as going from the left to tapping to the right to going back to the left) you can pull off things like an in and out and a double crossover
The depth of the new dribbling mechanic is huge. Far beyond anything I could grasp in my short demo. Thankfully the 2K developer, who was kind enough to beat the piss out of me in my first game, showed what a little practice could bring. He was pulling off moves like the Euro-step layup all over my grill and everything I saw looked great in motion.

I've never been one to spend the time calling plays in a basketball game -- call me a newbie if you must – but this year's game is going to change all that. Now all you have to do is tap the left shoulder button to bring up what looks like the same Total Control Passing button prompts, but this time when you press a player's icon you'll be presented with a list of plays for that player.
While dribbling was no-doubt a huge focus for the development team at 2K Sports, the passing game has seen a similar number of refinements. Total Control Passing, a feature that made its debut in NBA Live 10, is being brought to NBA 2K11. Simply hold the right shoulder button and you'll be presented with the typical icon passing prompts, then you'll need to either press or hold a player's button to get him the ball. Pressing it will pass it instantly while holding it will allow you to control that player manually until the button is released, at which the point the pass will be made.

Oh, and cuts to the basket are finally made with a sense of urgency so that it will be painfully obvious when you've missed an open man streaking to the hoop (as I did during the demo). If you want to intentionally miss the guy cutting, you could always fake the pass (new this year) with the B button (Circle on PS3), causing the defender to swipe at the ball and drive to the hole instead

moz-screenshot-1.png
moz-screenshot-2.png

Based on that IGN preview, 2k11 looks promising.

I hope they work on the game atmosphere from the standpoint of crowd chants and team specific chants, songs etc.

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

I hope we can fake pass on the move. I have been asking for that for YEARS.

this if it works like it should d rose will be unstoppable

No need to post pictures. The pictures IGN have are easily 2K10 or from a very early build of 2K11.

Originally Posted by kiddwill58

2k is just da same game every year wit updated rosters ill pass again

You can say that about a lot of sports games in general.

With the exception of NBA Elite this year, very few sport games go through a major overhaul over a development cycle.

^ Yeah I'm interested in seeing how Elite turns out.

I like the concept of having more freedom over your player and am anxious to see how the new shot system plays.

Reading that 2k11 IGN preview one thing stood out to me:

You know how Kobe does that little spin move directly into a pull-up jumper? Lakers haters despise it, I'm sure, but that's not stopping it from making an appearance in this year's game and looking great. Speaking of Kobe, players can now do his annoying size-up dribble (and pretty much any other player's size-up move) by holding the left trigger. If you hold both triggers you'll instantly enter a post-up position. Players can use this anywhere on the hardwood, which means you'll be able to bring the ball up the court Gary Payton-style if you want.
Manual post-up is back.
pimp.gif

I still hate the fact that manual posting up was ever taken out of the game. I mean who thought that would be a good idea.

Also glad to see backing someone down full court (Damon Jones) is back after like a 7 year hiatus.

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

Originally Posted by Lakersfan1

laugh.gif
All of you are getting hyped over a little feature that will probably last you 1-2 days to finish. I understand they are adding players/teams from the same area but the thing is the game doesn't need that! It needs to be completely fixed from the online menus, online servers,get rid of ALL animations, make plays useful and fix all athletic people being unstoppable. After putting Kobe on the front they are now releasing just put MJ on the front and no matter how bad the game is people are gonna buy it just because MJ is on the front.
QFT

If this is the same exact game like 2k10 but with fancy Jordan Challenges and a dozen teams from the 80s and 90s then yall are just sheep. Now I love my 2k Sports, but until I hear about some changes in improved gameplay and what they're doing instead of Isomotion, I won't pay much attention to these new features.

Originally Posted by ao17

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

Originally Posted by Lakersfan1

laugh.gif
All of you are getting hyped over a little feature that will probably last you 1-2 days to finish. I understand they are adding players/teams from the same area but the thing is the game doesn't need that! It needs to be completely fixed from the online menus, online servers,get rid of ALL animations, make plays useful and fix all athletic people being unstoppable. After putting Kobe on the front they are now releasing just put MJ on the front and no matter how bad the game is people are gonna buy it just because MJ is on the front.
QFT

If this is the same exact game like 2k10 but with fancy Jordan Challenges and a dozen teams from the 80s and 90s then yall are just sheep. Now I love my 2k Sports, but until I hear about some changes in improved gameplay and what they're doing instead of Isomotion, I won't pay much attention to these new features.

eyes.gif
eyes.gif
 alright alright alright.. how many times are you cool kids going to reiterate this?... yea yea, same thing every year, update rosters, sheep, wolves, EA > 2K... 
some gameplay tidbits have already release and you guys are still singing the same song. just stop. 

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

No need to post pictures. The pictures IGN have are easily 2K10 or from a very early build of 2K11.

word 2K11 will have the TNT scoreboard

^ We don't KNOW that. No need to speculate something that hasn't been proven. Just speculation with no basis

Enhanced Control
By: 2K Admin Ron | Friday July 30 2010
Hey Guys,
Rob Jones here. As you can tell from my interviews and the recent IGN Preview, I am very excited about the changes that NBA 2K11 has gone through. When we finished NBA 2K10, we felt that the game had some solid building pieces that we could carry forward into 2K11. You may remember my Insight last year that spoke about this among other subjects. However, we also felt that some of the systems in place had run their course.

Two areas of immediate concern were ballhandler movement and defensive movement. In regards to ball handling, what we realized was that control had to be the most important aspect to the dribbler. That meant more response to controller input, less auto dribbling, and more weight/momentum. From a visual aspect, we wanted a completely smooth, seamless experience where, as a user, we can’t recognize changes in animations. I can proudly say that we have achieved success in all the areas.

39333_10150248607755305_221292025304_13690123_3926794_n.jpg

Many of you have been clamoring for foot-planting technology. What we realized was that we all wanted a feeling of being planted on the ground, especially when making changes of direction. The new dribbling animation system allows for that. From a control standpoint, we discussed sweeping changes to the dribbling mechanic, but in the end settled on two fundamental changes: immediate and accurate response to input as well as a command system that replicates the needed gestures to achieve a move, instead of randomly throwing sticks and/or mashing buttons. What that means is that holding multiple triggers to activate a special move is no longer necessary and that moves reflect the intention of the user. Mike Wang will go over these controls in more depth at a later stage. We wanted feathering controls, more control over when to protect the ball and when not to, and how to decide whether or not we wanted to stay faced up to the basket or not. All of these were achieved without sacrificing what you have come to expect from an NBA 2K game: Authenticity in AI and movement for every player in the league.

38702_10150248607720305_221292025304_13690121_702601_n.jpg

Our second area of concern was defensive movement, especially under user control. We had a new engineer take over the defense last year. He learned much from working within the existing system and at the end of the project, set out to write a more flexible movement system that would allow the AI to incorporate not only basic movement, but many of the nuances that make basketball players move the way they do. All of this translates in appropriate movement models like backpedals, less jittering when making small adjustments, shading appropriately when necessary, etc.

Additionally, we wanted to accurately replicate the feeling of getting a good block in the game. Due to the fact that blocking shots has been made popular again with the great chase down blocks that we’ve seen from Lebron, Wade, Kobe and others.

Our AI, smart as it has been has been beefed up on both sides of the ball. We were able to spend good time adjusting transition and fast break behaviors, on both ends of the floor. We added smarter decision making from the AI ballhandlers, incorporating more attacking moves.

We added over 1000 unique plays to have the most authentic playbooks that anyone has seen, while improving the AI’s ability to execute them.

All of this and it’s just the tip of the iceberg. Our Shotstick now gives you accurate control over the exact types of animations you want from special layups to rim relative shot directions. We have a new in air collision system that automatically adjusts and reacts to every situation, providing the game with a different experience every time you pick it up. This system provides accurate physical resolutions to in- air contact, as well as air to ground (say for example in a Take Charge) situations.

39333_10150248607750305_221292025304_13690122_7178724_n.jpg

Passing was another area in need of a major upgrade. We wanted to differentiate good passers from bad ones both from a User standpoint and from a ratings standpoint. You’ll see in videos the variety and the outcome of our work.

We knew that we had to come stronger than we ever have and we’ve gone out of our way to improve any and everything. 2K Sports has always been about the authenticity of the sport, down to the most minute details, and NBA 2K11 continues that attention to detail. In the coming weeks, my buddy Mike Wang and the rest of the boys will expand further on many of these areas. Stay tuned!

- Rob Jones
Gameplay Producer

Back
Top Bottom