NBA's Overt Technical Fouls. Will it hurt the Game?

From Eastbay's Blog

http://blog.eastbay.com/shoes/all/how-many-technicals-does-it-take-to/

…change a rule?

As a fan of NBA Basketball, and more specifically a fan of the Sacramento Kings, I’ve had all too much experience with foul calling. Not to say that we got cheated back in 2002 against the Los Angeles Lakers but it seems to be the turning point for us. Bitter or not I, along with just about every fan that has watched a pre-season game so far, seem to be wondering what’s up with all these technical fouls.

garnett-194x300.jpg
The one thing that personally I find disappointing about the timing of this new rule from the overseer of all things NBA, is that it happened AFTER Rasheed Wallace decided to step away from the game. I would imagine that if Wallace was playing this year under this new iron thumb whistle approach, he would have silently raised his eyebrows one too many times already and would be working on a long-term suspension by now anyhow. you can bet that it would have been entertaining for the few minutes it may have lasted though.

Under the new rules, officials seem to be instructed to T-up anyone who complains too long or even gestures. That means body language, emotion, passion, along with everything we love about watching our favorite players get in the zone, could be called a technical foul. Could you imagine the flip side to this, if Michael Jordan was given a technical for “the shrug,

From Eastbay's Blog

http://blog.eastbay.com/shoes/all/how-many-technicals-does-it-take-to/

…change a rule?

As a fan of NBA Basketball, and more specifically a fan of the Sacramento Kings, I’ve had all too much experience with foul calling. Not to say that we got cheated back in 2002 against the Los Angeles Lakers but it seems to be the turning point for us. Bitter or not I, along with just about every fan that has watched a pre-season game so far, seem to be wondering what’s up with all these technical fouls.

garnett-194x300.jpg
The one thing that personally I find disappointing about the timing of this new rule from the overseer of all things NBA, is that it happened AFTER Rasheed Wallace decided to step away from the game. I would imagine that if Wallace was playing this year under this new iron thumb whistle approach, he would have silently raised his eyebrows one too many times already and would be working on a long-term suspension by now anyhow. you can bet that it would have been entertaining for the few minutes it may have lasted though.

Under the new rules, officials seem to be instructed to T-up anyone who complains too long or even gestures. That means body language, emotion, passion, along with everything we love about watching our favorite players get in the zone, could be called a technical foul. Could you imagine the flip side to this, if Michael Jordan was given a technical for “the shrug,

This stupid @#$ idea won't last more then a couple weeks, just like last time.  People already goin crazy about it, and it's only preseason, couple national games hit the airwaves on TNT and ESPN, dumb techs get thrown out, and Stern will memo all the refs to calm it down.  Mid November this will all be over with. 

This stupid @#$ idea won't last more then a couple weeks, just like last time.  People already goin crazy about it, and it's only preseason, couple national games hit the airwaves on TNT and ESPN, dumb techs get thrown out, and Stern will memo all the refs to calm it down.  Mid November this will all be over with. 

I'm hoping so CP. I agree that its outrageous. I mean I watched CDR from the bucks get a Tech last night because he was upset MOSTLY AT HIMSELF that he didn't get a call when was visible hacked by 2 wizards players going to the basket. Craziness to call a tech for that!

I'm hoping so CP. I agree that its outrageous. I mean I watched CDR from the bucks get a Tech last night because he was upset MOSTLY AT HIMSELF that he didn't get a call when was visible hacked by 2 wizards players going to the basket. Craziness to call a tech for that!

i would love to see these focus groups and fan feedback stern is clinging too. that is if it even exists.

i would love to see these focus groups and fan feedback stern is clinging too. that is if it even exists.

Originally Posted by mr2cool80

Yea I was watching a Celtics game. And Jermaine O'Neal tried to slide under and draw a charge. He got called for the block and as he was getting helped up by his teammates he was smiling and got T'd up. No words said by him or nothing (that I saw, and they showed like 2 or 3 replays).

Now im not even a fan of the Celtics and that annoyed me. Because I know players will get the treatment and then some players will be able to get away with running over and talking directly to a ref. Or flailing their arms around and pouting with no penalty.

The rule is dumb and for the leagues sake I hope CP is right. Because this is shaping up to be one of the best seasons in a long time. Dont want people talking more about #@$#++ tech calls and slowing down the game over the real interesting stories this year.

Originally Posted by mr2cool80

Yea I was watching a Celtics game. And Jermaine O'Neal tried to slide under and draw a charge. He got called for the block and as he was getting helped up by his teammates he was smiling and got T'd up. No words said by him or nothing (that I saw, and they showed like 2 or 3 replays).

Now im not even a fan of the Celtics and that annoyed me. Because I know players will get the treatment and then some players will be able to get away with running over and talking directly to a ref. Or flailing their arms around and pouting with no penalty.

The rule is dumb and for the leagues sake I hope CP is right. Because this is shaping up to be one of the best seasons in a long time. Dont want people talking more about #@$#++ tech calls and slowing down the game over the real interesting stories this year.

I just don't understand how anyone expects them to take emotion out of the game. It's impossible

I just don't understand how anyone expects them to take emotion out of the game. It's impossible

Originally Posted by maddog345

It will hurt the game. It takes away the emotion from the game.
Exactly! All of these T's slow the game down more than the complaining...

Originally Posted by maddog345

It will hurt the game. It takes away the emotion from the game.
Exactly! All of these T's slow the game down more than the complaining...

Refs have been calling techs way too much over the last few years, but at the same time, I really do get tired of players throwing a tantrum every time a foul is called.  They act like little kids. 

Refs have been calling techs way too much over the last few years, but at the same time, I really do get tired of players throwing a tantrum every time a foul is called.  They act like little kids. 

Back
Top Bottom