NEW YORK CITY IS THE BEST CITY IN THE WORLD vol. I DARE SOMEONE DISPROVE ME BASED ON FACTS

Originally Posted by jrp44

044159e6e0b6bbae9a223ead74efee75883a7b7.gif

pimp.gif
Much appreciated. NYC is
pimp.gif

I've been to a number of major cities in the Western Hemisphere. Boston, Chicago, Miami, Houston, LA, SF, Seattle, Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal, Rio, SaoPaolo, etc.

The ones I disliked the most were LA and Miami. In these cities, I can't help but get a "everyone is fake" vibe. I also don't like howeverything's spread out; driving is a total waste of time, especially if you're visiting. I will admit, the women in LA and Miami are on point, butthat's because they're all done up 24/7.

The cities I enjoyed the most were Chicago, Montreal, and Vancouver. I'm a bit biased towards Canadian cities because they give you an out-of-the-countryfeel. Yes, technically I am out of the country, but it feels like i'm somewhere overseas.

From a living standpoint, there isn't a single city that offers what NYC offers.

Damn even dirty came in here and shut the naysayers down with that comment...
laugh.gif

But in all seriousness I'm really getting tired of this U.S. city > than that U.S. city.

Can't we just agree that anyplace is better than living in Cleveland?

It's time we move this thing out of the national realm and into the international playing field.

U.S.A > North Korea

...it's a start...

Sure it's nice to claim that NYC is the financial capitol of the world, has really expensive real estate, has a ton of corporate headquarters/flagships,and is a major media center... but how many of you New Yorkers are really involved with any of that? I know that not every New Yorker is an i-banker, lives onPark Ave, or are, in any way, involved with any of these big corporations. So why throw these "facts" out at us like they really mean anything? IsNYC nice? Hell yes, I love it there. Would I want to live there? Hell no. You can keep your congested roadways, freezing winters, and NYC attitude. Theconstant hustle and sense of rush must be taxing on the body and mind too.
laugh.gif

The funny thing is, the only things relevant to the average person in the OP are the mass transit system and how NYC is a cultural melting pot. EVERYTHING ELSEis basically irrelevant to you and I. NYC's transit system is probably the best in the US but that's not saying much. To claim it's the largest andmost complex just shows your ignorance. Hong Kong's MTR and Japan's JR easily trump NYC's transit system and it's not even close. HongKong's is probably the best in terms of efficiency, cleanliness, cost of travel, and frequency. The cultural melting pot point I can't disagree with.NYC is a great place to go to check out shows, museums, etc. I love going to the MOMA.

While the OP threw out a bunch of irrelavant things that most people won't be involved with... Here are some tangible things people can actually partakein. If I want the feel of a big city, I'll go to San Francisco (which isn't slacking in it's transit system or cultural interests either.) If Iwant to get away from the city, I have a ton of different options. One can go to the mountains or to the beach within 2 hours. We have a ton of great nationalparks all within close proximity. California has the best public university system in the nation. We've also got some of the best private universities,such as Stanford, CalTech, the Claremont schools, USC, etc. The best restaurant in the US also happens to be in northern California (The French Laundry.) Wealso have the highest level of innovation in the entire world. How many of the things you use today were created in Silicon Valley? The relatively sunnyweather year round is pretty nice too. I like being able to leave the house in just a light jacket during the winter. Some people like the bitter cold and snowso maybe they'd like NYC more.

So yeah, at the end of the day, California (the Bay Area in particular) > NYC
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by JDocs

Change the thread title from Best to Most important and you'll have a solid argument. "Best" is too subjective, what if I don't like over populated busy loud cities?

Whoa Whoa ... I dont know who you are, but this statement is very underestimated.

Even though I love my city times 5 trillion as stated. It is the most important city, but the best definitely depends on the individual.

Maybe this is why NY'ers love getting away so often
laugh.gif
... I lived inWest Moreland Jamaica, w/ no hot water, no oven / just a grill , and goats all around me for a few months, and loved it to death.

If a nuke hit NYC and it was wiped off the map, the world would never be the same ......

While the OP threw out a bunch of irrelavant things that most people won't be involved with... Here are some tangible things people can actually partake in. If I want the feel of a big city, I'll go to San Francisco (which isn't slacking in it's transit system or cultural interests either.) If I want to get away from the city, I have a ton of different options. One can go to the mountains or to the beach within 2 hours. We have a ton of great national parks all within close proximity. California has the best public university system in the nation. We've also got some of the best private universities, such as Stanford, CalTech, the Claremont schools, USC, etc. The best restaurant in the US also happens to be in northern California (The French Laundry.) We also have the highest level of innovation in the entire world. How many of the things you use today were created in Silicon Valley? The relatively sunny weather year round is pretty nice too. I like being able to leave the house in just a light jacket during the winter. Some people like the bitter cold and snow so maybe they'd like NYC more.

ohwell.gif

Sorry buddy , I lived in the Bay area for 6 months ... Ex-girls Grandfather was rich, so we had a place in Montara, downtown market Street, Ameryville, andPacific Heights, plus Ashbury .... The only thing that I truely miss about the bay area is the cleaniness of S.F., the bars on Mission Street, and good dank.
Downtown SF in no way shape or form can compare to what Manhattan has to offer. Just the L.E.S. alone, would smash downtown ...

SF is priced just as high as manhattan and only particular parts of it are nice. Oakland , dudes are still doing drive bys like Dru Downs album just came out. I actually would reside in the Bay area but it is not NYC .. We are talkin about a city here, you are talking about the Bay area in general ... The bartdoesnt even run past 1 a.m. right ??? The buses suck, the only thing that was cool was that it cost way less, and bus drivers were giving out transfers likewater

Originally Posted by Nati P

Originally Posted by kingkb34

Originally Posted by jomitm

STOP THE MADNESS ALREADY.

this post is inspired by comments like these:

Originally Posted by Jumpshot

Cali >>>>> New York it's not even a fair contest.
In fact, just about every state apart from Ohio is >>>>> than New York. Even New Jersey is.
I could care less about this NY vs the world junk...but I gotta defend my state of OH and this comment...I would rather be here than in some racist area of the south or the boring plains of the midwest/west (Dakotas, Idaho, Wyoming).

Co-sign. Who the **** is this clown, Ohio > Any state he ever been to.
ohio%20flag.jpg

Don't tell me Ohio is > than FL. Call me when the Buckeyes beat the Gators for once.....

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

While the OP threw out a bunch of irrelavant things that most people won't be involved with... Here are some tangible things people can actually partake in. If I want the feel of a big city, I'll go to San Francisco (which isn't slacking in it's transit system or cultural interests either.) If I want to get away from the city, I have a ton of different options. One can go to the mountains or to the beach within 2 hours. We have a ton of great national parks all within close proximity. California has the best public university system in the nation. We've also got some of the best private universities, such as Stanford, CalTech, the Claremont schools, USC, etc. The best restaurant in the US also happens to be in northern California (The French Laundry.) We also have the highest level of innovation in the entire world. How many of the things you use today were created in Silicon Valley? The relatively sunny weather year round is pretty nice too. I like being able to leave the house in just a light jacket during the winter. Some people like the bitter cold and snow so maybe they'd like NYC more.

ohwell.gif
- There are beaches, mountains, camping grounds, hiking trails, etc. all within a couple of hours from NYC. Oh, and there's Central Park.
- NY (city and state) has some GREAT colleges. Columbia, NYU, the CUNY/SUNY schools, which offers a great education for an affordable tuition, and many others.
- If you're talking about relevance...how is the best restaurant in the U.S. and the Silicon Valley relevant to you? Do YOU eat there every day? Do youwork in the tech field? They're as relevant as the Financial District and Real Estate are to us.
- It's obviously colder here in NYC, but bitter cold and snow? Maybe one month out of the year. Can't say anything about the sunny weather in SF, butthere are plenty of cities that have similar weather.
- Congested roadways? Name ONE city that doesn't have congested roadways during rush hour.
- The "constant hustle and sense of rush must be taxing on the body and mind" if you can't handle it. But then again, in what corporate settingis anxiety and rush NOT prevalent?
- NYC has a great art scene...but you named the most overrated and boring museum there is: The MOMA.

So yeah, at the end of the day, you're doing to same thing as everyone else.

Originally Posted by akuratl02

ohwell.gif

Sorry buddy , I lived in the Bay area for 6 months ... Ex-girls Grandfather was rich, so we had a place in Montara, downtown market Street, Ameryville, and Pacific Heights, plus Ashbury .... The only thing that I truely miss about the bay area is the cleaniness of S.F., the bars on Mission Street, and good dank.
Downtown SF in no way shape or form can compare to what Manhattan has to offer. Just the L.E.S. alone, would smash downtown ...

SF is priced just as high as manhattan and only particular parts of it are nice. Oakland , dudes are still doing drive bys like Dru Downs album just came out. I actually would reside in the Bay area but it is not NYC .. We are talkin about a city here, you are talking about the Bay area in general ... The bart doesnt even run past 1 a.m. right ??? The buses suck, the only thing that was cool was that it cost way less, and bus drivers were giving out transfers like water

And as for Education,

New York City Department of Education (NYCDOE)
These schools form the largest school system in the United States, with over 1.1million students taught in more than 1,400 separate schools.[sup][2][/sup] The departmentcovers all five boroughs of New York City.
Because of its immense size-there are more students in the system than people in eight U.S. states-the New York City public school system is the most influential in the United States.
Unlike other urban school districts (such as San Francisco Unified School District), New York does not use racial preferences (affirmative action)in public school admissions.

[h1]State University of New York[/h1]The State University of New York, abbreviatedSUNY (pronounced /ˈsu

Originally Posted by akuratl02

ohwell.gif

Sorry buddy , I lived in the Bay area for 6 months ... Ex-girls Grandfather was rich, so we had a place in Montara, downtown market Street, Ameryville, and Pacific Heights, plus Ashbury .... The only thing that I truely miss about the bay area is the cleaniness of S.F., the bars on Mission Street, and good dank.

SF is priced just as high as manhattan and only particular parts of it are nice. Oakland , dudes are still doing drive bys like Dru Downs album just came out. I actually would reside in the Bay area but it is not NYC .. We are talkin about a city here, you are talking about the Bay area in general ... The bart doesnt even run past 1 a.m. right ??? The buses suck, the only thing that was cool was that it cost way less, and bus drivers were giving out transfers like water

Cleanliness of SF? What?
laugh.gif
It's like that in NYC? As far as downtowngoes, I'm not so naive as to think SF's downtown is comparable. It's not. Shopping in SF is pretty good though. We've got a ton of greatplaces, it's just not all in one concentrated area like Soho. We've got downtown, the Marina, Haight st, and a bunch of places just spread out allover.

I'm comparing the Bay Area to NYC because it's more accurate a comparison. You can't just compare SF to NYC because SF is a relatively tiny city(it's a 7mi x 7mi box
laugh.gif
) While you might be able to compare LA to NYC due to it's large scale, you kind of have to group together the differentcities in the Bay for it to be an accurate comparison.

While parts of the Bay are cutty as hell, you know NYC isn't all nice. BART isn't great but what's wrong with MUNI? It's relatively cheap,efficient, and can get you basically anywhere in the city.

.when you have to compare a whole STATE(or Regions) to a city... you've already lost
I said the same exact thing last time this thread was up.

But then again you'll have a bunch of dudes in here who never left they're area code who will dispute this.

WHO CARES. honestly do we need 10,000 threads a week about City vs City. Yea NYC is great, but the weather is horrible aside from our Springs. I can'tstand snow and below 20 degree weather anymore... and who the hell enjoys a 95 degree day when the humidity is 90%.. days like that i don't even stepoutside my house if i don't have to.

Back
Top Bottom