New York Giants Season Thread!...The Tommy Cutlets Era

What should the Giants do in the first round?

• Take a QB

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Take Barkley

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Take Chubb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Trade down

Votes: 1 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
improved Oline?? its amazing! we do have a AT - all pro AT but hows the rest doing???
Last year we had to replace 4/5 - this year 3/5 and only reason its 3/5 and not 4/5 is because neal is a rookie.....gates nice story but should be at camp to complete for Center job - if he doesn't win- backup - 2 new guards are needed!

PFF ranking through week 15

31. NEW YORK GIANTS (DOWN 2)

Projected Week 15 Starters:​

LT Andrew Thomas
LG Nick Gates
C Jon Feliciano
RG Mark Glowinski
RT Evan Neal

• Neal coughed up eight total pressures against the Eagles for a PFF pass-blocking grade of 20.2 despite playing 52 of the 64 possible snaps.
  • Andrew Thomas has allowed three sacks this season, and they have all come in the last three weeks.
Upcoming Opponent: Washington Commanders

• Washington’s defense blitzes at the fifth-highest rate in the NFL. Montez Sweat and Jonathan Allen each have over 45 pressures this season and can threaten the edge and interior of the line.

Last edited:
Joey $ working hard....biggest need on D taken care of..... could see a CB but more likely thats for draft....
Offense time....guard - WR - get it done Joey......OBJ? Jeudy? both? please i'm tried of DJ having to dumpster dive...please joey?

Colts' Bobby Okereke among PFF's top-50 free agents​

USATSI_19747552.jpg

Kevin Hickey

January 17, 2023 8:53 am ET

Indianapolis Colts linebacker Bobby Okereke was listed by Pro Football Focus among the top-50 free agents heading into the 2023 offseason.

Okereke is probably the biggest name hitting the free-agent market from the Colts’ building this offseason. The former third-round pick has been a full-time starter for the last two seasons at the MIKE position.
Okereke is the sixth linebacker ranked on the list. Here’s what Pro Football Focus had to say:
“Okereke stepped up in a major way in the absence of fellow off-ball linebacker Shaquille Leonard, with his 72.9 grade ranking 23rd at the position. Okereke was particularly stout against the run, with his 13 defensive stops against the run tied for the 13th most. Okereke is now coming off back-to-back seasons with at least 100 tackles and 50 defensive stops.

The former third overall pick still has room to grow as a coverage player, but at 6-foot-1 and 235 pounds, he moves well enough in space to not be a liability in coverage.”
While fellow linebacker Zaire Franklin had a breakout campaign, setting the single-season franchise record for tackles (164), Okereke has been a steady force in the middle of the defense.
In 17 starts, Okereke had 151 tackles (99 solo), six tackles for loss, five passes defended and two forced fumbles.
Considering the money they already have tied up in the position between Shaquille Leonard and the aforementioned Franklin, it may be difficult to re-sign Okereke.

We’ll see what happens with that situation over the course of the next two months, but he would have a strong market if he does hit free agency.

A WEAPON - Waller hopefully is a great pickup......had some amazing beast seasons.......finally in2023, he is without a doubt the best player DJ will have ever passed to far as WRs/TEs go......

bit surprised by the move....31??...def wasnt happy with our TE group but thought we could upgrade at draft rich TE pool

again, much rather have used our dollars on OBJ....guess thats not likely now :frown:

stay healthy wally

pretty much entire front office and coaching staff went to OSU pro day today - hopefully to confirm their thoughts that Jaxon is the the guy....he ran 4.5

i'd def trade up to 18-20 range for him

I really liked Jaxon, def disappointed we didnt make the move to get him....if willing, we could have gotten 18 or 19 from lions/tampa and drafted the best WR in this draft...oh well.....sometimes the best(or damn good)WR comes out of rounds 2/3

Mel liking ALL of our picks is also not sitting well with me....but reading up on these guys, seems like great value & CB/C should be day 1 starters

New York Giants

MEL
The picks: John Michael Schmitz, C, Minnesota (No. 57); Jalin Hyatt, WR, Tennessee (No. 73)

The Giants landed my top-ranked center in Schmitz late in Round 2. That's a steal. He fills an immediate need. I was surprised he lasted that long.

They followed that by trading up 16 spots to snag Hyatt, giving up No. 128 in the process. Hyatt is a speedster who can be a deep threat out of the slot, though he needs to refine his route running. He's my fifth-ranked wideout, and I thought he could have snuck into the first round for the right team. What a draft the Giants are having. I also really liked cornerback Deonte Banks on Thursday. They have come out of the first two days with three of my top 45 prospects.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

The First Read: Winners and losers from Day 2 of the 2023 NFL Draft
Jeffri Chadiha nfl.com
3) Jalin Hyatt, WR, New York Giants: There was enough buzz around this speedy wide receiver out of Tennessee that some draft pundits thought he could make it into the first round. He wound up going in the third, where the Giants selected him 73rd overall. The upside here is that Hyatt is going to a team that desperately needs more big-play ability in the passing game and employs a head coach, Brian Daboll, who gets the most out of that position. The reality was, Hyatt simply wasn't as well-rounded as the other receivers who went on the first day. His jaw-dropping speed is his calling card, but his long-term future in the league depends on how he develops other aspects of his game.

What The Athletic had to say:

If the Giants were looking for a downfield burner — think Desean Jackson — they found him in Hyatt. He ran a 4.40 at the combine, but his acceleration dwarfs that time. Hyatt had 20 catches of 20-plus yards — seven receptions of 50-plus yards — and led the nation in virtually every deep ball category.
Last season Hyatt (6-0, 176) caught 67 passes (89 targets) for 1,267 yards and a school-record 15 touchdowns at 18.9 yards per catch. He won the Biletnikoff Award as the nation’s top receiver and became the 13th unanimous All-American in Tennessee history.
Hyatt played about 89 percent of his snaps from the slot and was a mismatch against virtually every defender. He caught five touchdown passes against Alabama in a last-second victory. Although Hyatt is unrefined and raw, his speed will make him a weapon every time he takes the field.

“He can roll,” Schoen said. “I was at that Alabama game [5 TDs, 207 receiving yards for Hyatt]. I can’t remember why I came in late, but I was a little bit late. But I was on the field for the first half. I was coming from another game, landed there, and first half I was on the field, and you could really feel his speed. It’s legit 4.3.”

Schoen said adding speed to the entire roster was an offseason goal.

“I would say both sides of the ball, just team speed in general. Offense), defense and special teams,” he said. “I think we did that with some of the free agents we signed: Parris Campbell can roll, Jeff (Smith) can roll, (Bobby) Okereke runs well. We’ve upgraded the speed in general; (Darren) Waller. So yeah, that’s definitely something watching our team last year, we just felt we needed to get faster in all three phases.”

Schoen’s relationship with Tennessee head coach Josh Heupel helped sell the Giants on Hyatt, who obviously fell farther in the draft than many expected.

“Josh Heupel, the head coach at Tennessee is a good friend of mine. We go way back,” Schoen said. “Oklahoma was my area [as a scout] a long time ago when he was a quarterback coach. I’ve known him for a long time, and he was the head coach at Central Florida when we took Gabe Davis, when we were in Buffalo. There’s some history there. I called him at some point today and just checked on Hyatt. We had him in on a visit. Again, I’m not sure why he was there [at 73], but we feel good about him and glad he was.”

Hyatt is actually claiming hes at 189lbs now.....

Concerns

• Size and frame are concerns for Hyatt. The height isn't a major issue, but 176 pounds puts him in the 5th percentile among wide receivers.
  • Physicality is not at all a part of Hyatt's game. He can get knocked off routes at the catch point, in the middle of routes and most notably after first contact in the open field after the catch.
  • Alarming lack of creativity after the catch for a smaller receiver. You rarely see him plant his foot and create a forced missed tackle after making the catch. It's almost always just plant and get vertical.
  • Incredibly limited route tree playing in that Tennessee offensive system. Deep overs and vertical routes are just about the only routes we can safely project he'll be able to run.
  • Can he beat press man coverage? He faced so few snaps of press man at the collegiate level and was also hidden behind stacked releases to get a free release. If he can win with speed releases off the line of scrimmage against NFL corners, he'll be able to play outside. Otherwise, Hyatt feels like a slot only receiver.
  • For someone who's calling card is their vertical game, a 4.40 40-yard dash was not nearly as fast as hoped for. Having said that, he does look faster than 4.40 on game film.
  • Hands-catching wasn't an issue for Hyatt, but it's worth noting that he has 20th percentile hand size.
  • Not the smoothest receiver getting in and out of his breaks -- will he win on dig routes? Curl and stick routes? That remains an open question mark and pure projection.

Last edited:
29th in pass block WIN rate in 2022 ahahah wow how did DJ look decent....

i

McShay​

New York Giants

John Michael Schmitz, C, Minnesota (Round 2, No. 57)

The Giants wasted no time in attacking their needs, and as much as I really liked the Deonte Banks (Maryland CB) and Jalin Hyatt (Tennessee WR) picks on Days 1 and 2, respectively, this one is clear for me. It's Schmitz, who will be a 10-year starter for New York. He was my No. 2 center and a top-50 prospect, and his tape is a treat to watch. Schmitz has the mirror-and-slide quickness to take away interior bull rushers and the power to open lanes in the run game. I know running back Saquon Barkley is happy about this pick -- Schmitz takes great angles as a zone blocker at the second level.

After Nick Gates signed in Washington, there was a big hole at center. And this Giants line wasn't all that spectacular to begin with, save for tackle Andrew Thomas. New York was No. 29 in pass block win rate last season (52.6%), so this should be a big boost. Schmitz allowed just one sack over nearly 1,000 career pass-block snaps. Nice work by the Giants in getting difference-makers at a few key weak spots.

Last edited:
sexy dexy! big money for the big man.....well earned....hes been good since day 1 and has def taken the leap to force status

Barkley next!!!

Week 1: Cowboys (SNF)
Week 2: @ Cardinals
Week 3: @ 49ers (TNF)
Week 4: Seahawks (MNF)
Week 5: @ Dolphins
Week 6: @ Bills
Week 7: @ Commanders
Week 8: Jets
Week 9: @ Raiders
Week 10: @ Cowboys
Week 11: Commanders
Week 12: Patriots
Week 13: Bye
Week 14: Packers (MNF)
Week 15: @ Saints
Week 16: @ Eagles (Christmas)
Week 17: Rams
Week 18: Eagles

7 of first 10 games are on the road!!! INSANE!!! hearing that has not happened since the 80s to any other NFL team wow

THEN

eagles 2 of last 3 games!!

love the road trips....Miami mid Oct, vegas early Nov and Orleans Dec.....GOING!

AND

first 3 games of season take place over 11 days

at least we get to finally host dallas week 1

Tough schedule. I was in Vegas in Nov. 2021 and they played the Raiders in NY of course :lol: this year they play in Vegas and it's the same weekend I was there in 2021.

Christmas game :pimp:

How one game against Alabama landed Jalin Hyatt with the Giants
By Jordan Raanan

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- It was early in the third quarter, and the 100,000-plus fans in Tennessee's Neyland Stadium were going wild. That's when Devin Hyatt turned to his father and uttered what earlier would've been an inconceivable statement.

"Dad, Jalin's going to score five times," Devin Hyatt said after his brother, Jalin, a junior wide receiver at the University of Tennessee, had just scored his third touchdown of the game against Alabama on a 60-yard pass down the left sideline.

"I was like, 'Get out of here,'" Jamie Hyatt recalled. "He's like, 'Watch, he's scoring five times.'

"Sure enough, he did."

That was the day that Jalin Hyatt introduced himself to the NFL world. When the day began, he was just another talented, speedy prospect that had the Vols faithful dreaming he could lead them to a return to prominence. By the time the game was over, Hyatt was puffing on a cigar and receiving praise from Peyton Manning.

"You're a legend," Manning said during a scene that was captured by a viral picture.

Perhaps it was fate that New York Giants general manager Joe Schoen was there to take in that game from the sidelines.

"I was at that Alabama game," said Schoen, who six months later would trade up to select Hyatt No. 73 overall. "I can't remember why I came in late, but I was a little bit late. But I was on the field for the first half. I was coming from another game, landed there, and first half I was on the field, and you could really feel his speed. It's legit 4.3 [seconds in the 40-yard dash]."

Hyatt officially ran the 40-yard dash in 4.40 seconds at the NFL combine earlier this year before the Giants were so intrigued by that speed and big-play ability that they traded up to get him midway through Day 2. It was a surprise that the speedster, who once ran 4.29 and 4.31 laser times in the 40-yard dash at Nike's The Opening in 2019, was still available at that point.

After all, there aren't any other men walking this planet that can boast about a five-touchdown performance against Alabama and its legendary coach Nick Saban. Jalin Hyatt is that list.

The New York Giants traded their third- and fourth-round draft picks to take Tennessee wide receiver Jalin Hyatt No. 73 overall in the 2023 NFL draft.
FOR THE FIRST time in his life on a football field, Hyatt wasn't doing much. He suffered a concussion in Week 2 of his sophomore season against Pittsburgh and didn't catch a pass for another three weeks.

It was not how he envisioned building off a promising freshman year at Tennessee. He was banged up. The coaching staff that recruited him was blown out of Knoxville earlier that year for recruiting improprieties. Hyatt wasn't sure the new staff led by coach Josh Heupel was really committed to him.

He was essentially a backup to Velus Jones Jr., now a wide receiver and kick returner for the Chicago Bears. It was not the year that Hyatt wanted with 21 catches for 226 yards and three touchdowns.

"I could tell he was really, really down on himself. He had really lost his confidence," Jamie Hyatt said in a phone conversation with ESPN. "And at that point, you start looking for excuses."

It was just days after Hyatt made perhaps the biggest play of the Vols' season for a fourth-down touchdown late in a Holiday Bowl win over Purdue that the wide receiver shifted his approach. Rather than stay home for the remainder of the winter break, Hyatt went back to Knoxville and began to work.

Best of NFL Nation
• How 1 game landed Hyatt with NYG
• How to solve Vikings' pass-rush issues
• QB among issues for 49ers at OTAs
• Browns are all-in on a Super Bowl run
• How Bills Mafia was born
"I got serious with it," Hyatt explained during his introductory press conference with the Giants. "I started realizing that this right here is for me."

Hyatt would lure coaches and teammates into the facility for extra work on days off. He worked overtime to build chemistry with quarterback Hendon Hooker.

Hyatt reported back to his father one day that he had caught 1,200 balls off the JUGS machine. Jamie Hyatt figured that was simply youthful hyperbole. Snagging 300 balls in a given day is a solid number. Four digits is next-level. But sure enough, when the results came back from the coaches, Hyatt had accumulated over 1,000 catches that day.

This was the kind of "first-round work" his father was referencing in those sprawling back-and-forth texts during that difficult sophomore year. This was Hyatt doing everything possible to put himself in the best position for his junior season at Tennessee.

"He was dialed in. It was impressive," Jamie Hyatt said. "That is kind of how that offseason went."

It wasn't just physical growth. It was mental.

The 20-year-old wide receiver wrote at the top and bottom of his notebook: "SAY IT, THINK IT, BELIEVE IT, DO IT AND YOU'LL GET IT." In between, he wrote his goals.

"I will be the No. 1 receiver in the SEC."

"I will be a 1,000 yard receiver in the SEC."

"I will be the most confident one on the field."

"I will change the way my family lives."

One by one, over the course of the last season, they started coming to fruition.

"Man, that was pretty powerful stuff," Jamie Hyatt said. "He checked them all off. He checked them all off.

IT ALL CAME together that afternoon in mid-October against Alabama. One after another, Hyatt was racing downfield past a future NFL defensive back. He became the first player to score three or more touchdowns and reach 100 yards receiving against a Nick Saban team at Alabama.

Hyatt had six catches for 207 yards and five touchdowns in that contest. He finished with 67 catches for 1,267 yards and a school-record 15 touchdowns while being named unanimous first-team All-American and winning the Biletnikoff Award as the nation's top wide receiver.

It was more than just the Alabama game that captured the attention of NFL teams.

"Well, he played in the SEC, so it's pretty good conference down there," Giants coach Brian Daboll said. "He had an outstanding game, no question about it, but he was a productive player for them. Good speed, had good intangibles. We met with him on the [Top] 30 visit. It was kind of all-encompassing."

Still, there were doubters. He was the 10th wide receiver drafted.

"Toughness" is how one NFL executive answered to ESPN on why he was still not selected through two rounds.

That question was asked because at the top of the third round it seemed curious that Hyatt was still available. The Giants agreed. They traded their third- and fourth-round picks to land Hyatt, and didn't seem to care about others' concerns.

"I'm not sure why he was there," Schoen said. "But we feel good about him and glad he was."

Hyatt seems to realize how impactful that Alabama game was for his future. It, at the very least, played a part in helping him land in New York, especially after hearing during the Top 30 visit that Schoen was on the sideline.

"It probably changed my life," Hyatt said. "But you know at the same time, though, that's what football can do to you. That's what it can bring and that's why I take this sport so serious. This is my life and I love the sport and I love the game. I feel like loving the game or mistakes I make or whatever, if I'm doing good or doing bad, just learning from it and getting better the next day. I think that's the biggest thing that I learned and just want to build on when I get [to the Giants]."

How one game against Alabama landed Jalin Hyatt with the Giants

By Jordan Raanan

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- It was early in the third quarter, and the 100,000-plus fans in Tennessee's Neyland Stadium were going wild. That's when Devin Hyatt turned to his father and uttered what earlier would've been an inconceivable statement.

"Dad, Jalin's going to score five times," Devin Hyatt said after his brother, Jalin, a junior wide receiver at the University of Tennessee, had just scored his third touchdown of the game against Alabama on a 60-yard pass down the left sideline.

"I was like, 'Get out of here,'" Jamie Hyatt recalled. "He's like, 'Watch, he's scoring five times.'

"Sure enough, he did."

That was the day that Jalin Hyatt introduced himself to the NFL world. When the day began, he was just another talented, speedy prospect that had the Vols faithful dreaming he could lead them to a return to prominence. By the time the game was over, Hyatt was puffing on a cigar and receiving praise from Peyton Manning.
FfJxisrX0AADCPg

"You're a legend," Manning said during a scene that was captured by a viral picture.

Perhaps it was fate that New York Giants general manager Joe Schoen was there to take in that game from the sidelines.

"I was at that Alabama game," said Schoen, who six months later would trade up to select Hyatt No. 73 overall. "I can't remember why I came in late, but I was a little bit late. But I was on the field for the first half. I was coming from another game, landed there, and first half I was on the field, and you could really feel his speed. It's legit 4.3 [seconds in the 40-yard dash]."

Hyatt officially ran the 40-yard dash in 4.40 seconds at the NFL combine earlier this year before the Giants were so intrigued by that speed and big-play ability that they traded up to get him midway through Day 2. It was a surprise that the speedster, who once ran 4.29 and 4.31 laser times in the 40-yard dash at Nike's The Opening in 2019, was still available at that point.

After all, there aren't any other men walking this planet that can boast about a five-touchdown performance against Alabama and its legendary coach Nick Saban. Jalin Hyatt is that list.

The New York Giants traded their third- and fourth-round draft picks to take Tennessee wide receiver Jalin Hyatt No. 73 overall in the 2023 NFL draft.
FOR THE FIRST time in his life on a football field, Hyatt wasn't doing much. He suffered a concussion in Week 2 of his sophomore season against Pittsburgh and didn't catch a pass for another three weeks.

It was not how he envisioned building off a promising freshman year at Tennessee. He was banged up. The coaching staff that recruited him was blown out of Knoxville earlier that year for recruiting improprieties. Hyatt wasn't sure the new staff led by coach Josh Heupel was really committed to him.

He was essentially a backup to Velus Jones Jr., now a wide receiver and kick returner for the Chicago Bears. It was not the year that Hyatt wanted with 21 catches for 226 yards and three touchdowns.

"I could tell he was really, really down on himself. He had really lost his confidence," Jamie Hyatt said in a phone conversation with ESPN. "And at that point, you start looking for excuses."

It was just days after Hyatt made perhaps the biggest play of the Vols' season for a fourth-down touchdown late in a Holiday Bowl win over Purdue that the wide receiver shifted his approach. Rather than stay home for the remainder of the winter break, Hyatt went back to Knoxville and began to work.

Best of NFL Nation​

r1173861_608x342_16-9.jpg

How 1 game landed Hyatt with NYG

"I got serious with it," Hyatt explained during his introductory press conference with the Giants. "I started realizing that this right here is for me."

Hyatt would lure coaches and teammates into the facility for extra work on days off. He worked overtime to build chemistry with quarterback Hendon Hooker.

Hyatt reported back to his father one day that he had caught 1,200 balls off the JUGS machine. Jamie Hyatt figured that was simply youthful hyperbole. Snagging 300 balls in a given day is a solid number. Four digits is next-level. But sure enough, when the results came back from the coaches, Hyatt had accumulated over 1,000 catches that day.

This was the kind of "first-round work" his father was referencing in those sprawling back-and-forth texts during that difficult sophomore year. This was Hyatt doing everything possible to put himself in the best position for his junior season at Tennessee.

"He was dialed in. It was impressive," Jamie Hyatt said. "That is kind of how that offseason went."

It wasn't just physical growth. It was mental.

The 20-year-old wide receiver wrote at the top and bottom of his notebook: "SAY IT, THINK IT, BELIEVE IT, DO IT AND YOU'LL GET IT." In between, he wrote his goals.

"I will be the No. 1 receiver in the SEC."

"I will be a 1,000 yard receiver in the SEC."

"I will be the most confident one on the field."

"I will change the way my family lives."

One by one, over the course of the last season, they started coming to fruition.

"Man, that was pretty powerful stuff," Jamie Hyatt said. "He checked them all off. He checked them all off.

IT ALL CAME together that afternoon in mid-October against Alabama. One after another, Hyatt was racing downfield past a future NFL defensive back. He became the first player to score three or more touchdowns and reach 100 yards receiving against a Nick Saban team at Alabama.

Hyatt had six catches for 207 yards and five touchdowns in that contest. He finished with 67 catches for 1,267 yards and a school-record 15 touchdowns while being named unanimous first-team All-American and winning the Biletnikoff Award as the nation's top wide receiver.

It was more than just the Alabama game that captured the attention of NFL teams.

"Well, he played in the SEC, so it's pretty good conference down there," Giants coach Brian Daboll said. "He had an outstanding game, no question about it, but he was a productive player for them. Good speed, had good intangibles. We met with him on the [Top] 30 visit. It was kind of all-encompassing."

Still, there were doubters. He was the 10th wide receiver drafted.

"Toughness" is how one NFL executive answered to ESPN on why he was still not selected through two rounds.

That question was asked because at the top of the third round it seemed curious that Hyatt was still available. The Giants agreed. They traded their third- and fourth-round picks to land Hyatt, and didn't seem to care about others' concerns.

"I'm not sure why he was there," Schoen said. "But we feel good about him and glad he was."

Hyatt seems to realize how impactful that Alabama game was for his future. It, at the very least, played a part in helping him land in New York, especially after hearing during the Top 30 visit that Schoen was on the sideline.

"It probably changed my life," Hyatt said. "But you know at the same time, though, that's what football can do to you. That's what it can bring and that's why I take this sport so serious. This is my life and I love the sport and I love the game. I feel like loving the game or mistakes I make or whatever, if I'm doing good or doing bad, just learning from it and getting better the next day. I think that's the biggest thing that I learned and just want to build on when I get [to the Giants]."

Can we pick up hopkins for the low since he just got dropped by the cards

id love it, but if hes taking deal.....i'd guess it would be chiefs or bills.....also I think giants are happy with WR room....we shall see......if they cut him earlier in the year maybe we get him instead bringing back slayton

man if this neal dude steps up from one of the WORST tackles in all of football to mid pack we will have legit line.....finally.....

Friday, June 9, 2023
How Bengals legend Willie Anderson is helping a young Giants tackle

By Jordan Raanan
ESPNNewYork.com
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- New York Giants right tackle Evan Neal invited 2023 Pro Football Hall of Fame finalist Willie Anderson to New Jersey for a weekend of work in late March. This is how Neal was spending his first professional offseason: Trying to figure out answers after a difficult rookie season.

They sat in the lobby of Neal’s luxury New Jersey apartment complex devouring dinner and dissecting film from the first-round pick’s rookie year. It didn’t take long for Anderson, a former Pro Bowl right tackle who is now an offensive line coach, to know where to start.

“I saw that he was a left tackle trying to figure out playing right tackle,” said Anderson, who was a four-time first-team All Pro right tackle during his playing days with the Cincinnati Bengals.

Neal had played left guard, right tackle and left tackle during a standout career at Alabama. He was penciled in as the starting right tackle the moment he was selected seventh overall in the 2022 NFL draft by the Giants.

In Anderson’s opinion, Neal still hadn’t completely made the adjustment.

“It’s like being a right-hand boxer, and now we’re going to turn your left hand into your dominant hand,” Anderson said. “That takes practice. A lot of times it’s not going to look as good. I can still punch a guy with my left hand, it’s just not going to feel as strong. That’s what I immediately saw. He was playing left tackle and trying to figure out, ‘How do I adjust getting my feet together, getting my hands corrected, getting in the right stance?’

“I think it will take shape this year.”

The Giants know their offensive line needs to be better. They are banking on a significant leap from Neal in Year 2, and they drafted center John Michael Schmitz in the second round. Those are the two spots where they are hoping for significant improvement with All Pro Andrew Thomas entrenched at left tackle and last year’s starters, Ben Bredeson and Mark Glowinski, the favorites to start at guard.

Right tackle was one of the spots where the Giants had problems. Neal had a pass block win rate of 81.1% last season. That ranked him 58 out of 64 qualifying tackles with 11 sacks allowed. He also finished 80 of 81 tackles with a 41.8 grade from Pro Football Focus.

Some outsiders had even suggested moving Neal inside to guard. The Giants have no such plans. They envision a day where Thomas and Neal are a dominant tackle duo.

In the meantime, Neal’s rookie year left a sour taste in his mouth and had him searching for ways to improve this offseason. He saw Anderson teaching and working with players on Instagram, and his agent, Damarius Bilbo of Klutch, set up a meeting, which came with a blessing from Giants offensive line coach Bobby Johnson.

That initial three-day workshop between Neal and Anderson produced at least one major change: They made his stance more compact, moving his back leg in to provide better balance and power.

“I first saw his stance and I said, ‘That stance can’t be comfortable going against certain kinds of rushers,’” Anderson said. “I asked him if he had a problem with these kinds of rushers, and he said, ‘Yes!’”

Anderson didn’t want to specify the rushers that gave Neal the most trouble in fear of giving away too much information. However, Neal’s worst game of the season came in a September loss to the Dallas Cowboys when DeMarcus Lawrence finished with three sacks.

His new stance is designed to help him get out quicker and have a more compact base that will allow him to move side to side, and forward and back, more efficiently.

“Working with Willie was cool,” Neal said. “Just gaining a lot of his knowledge, him being a Pro Bowl player, we were playing around with my stance, seeing what's comfortable, seeing what's not comfortable. The stance that I can be functional out of and explode out of and stuff like that.”

The two are scheduled to have another session in the coming weeks. The Giants are in the midst of OTAs and have their mandatory minicamp scheduled for Tuesday and Wednesday of next week before breaking for the summer.

Anderson and Johnson have spoken on multiple occasions, including at Ohio State’s Pro Day the afternoon before Neal and Anderson linked up. They’re all on the same page.

“I’d say with each player, there’s little things that you try to tweak and coach on,” Giants coach Brian Daboll said. “And it’s no different with Evan.”

Neal’s willingness to change makes this a very different situation from Ereck Flowers, who was resistant to change early in his Giants career after being a top-10 pick in 2015. It more closely resembles Thomas, who had a disastrous rookie year before turning it around midway through his second season.

“The great ones bust their *** to figure it out,” Anderson said. “For him, that stuff bothered him. It bothers him the way it bothered me [as a rookie], the way it bothered Andrew, because I know Andrew well too and I know what Andrew did to work himself back.

“That’s what Evan has a chance to be. You’ve got a chance to be [a] top duo. Two elite freaking tackles right there. He has the ability. Just give him time and patience to figure out that side of the ball.”

Tuesday, June 13, 2023
Giants WR Sterling Shepard 'right on schedule' in comeback attempt

By Jordan Raanan
ESPN

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- New York Giants wide receiver Sterling Shepard believes he's "right on schedule" in his recovery from a torn ACL, and his goal is to be ready for the start of the season.

Shepard has been running and working with trainers at organized team activities and Tuesday's minicamp after tearing the ACL in his left knee back in late September. That was just months after he returned from a torn Achilles tendon suffered the previous season.

The longest-tenured Giant appears to be moving well, running and cutting, in workouts.

"I'm right on schedule where I wanted to be, a little bit ahead. So that's always good," Shepard said. "I'm just trying to take it day by day and just focus on getting back to 100 percent."

Shepard, 30, had 13 catches for 154 yards and a touchdown before he crumpled to the ground with the noncontact injury in Week 3 of last season. He vowed not to have his career end on that note.

The Giants re-signed Shepard to a one-year deal earlier this offseason. In his mind, being ready for the Sept. 10 opener against the Dallas Cowboys is not off the table.

"My goal is to be ready for the season, so whatever that takes is what I'm going to try to do, but I'm also not going to rush it," Shepard said. "You get to that time and I'm not feeling right, then that's just what it's going to be. But that is my goal, and just take it day by day like I said and try to be the best I can be that day."

Shepard returning to the field isn't the only important thing. He also needs to stay on it. That has not happened regularly in recent years.

Shepard has missed at least four games in each of the past four seasons. He has appeared in just 10 games over the past two years.

This time the Giants have at least covered their bases. They have a crowded wide receiver room with the additions of Parris Campbell, Jalin Hyatt, Jamison Crowder and Jeff Smith this offseason.

"Yeah, it's probably the biggest receiver group I've been a part of since I've been here, but that's what we wanted to bring in," Shepard said. "We wanted to bring in competition. Some guys run from competition, and some people don't. We're definitely going to see what we have because we have a lot of guys that can play some good ball.

"I love the fact that we added more playmakers. It's not just on one person to make all the plays. We've got a lot of guys that can do it."

Shepard was a second-round pick out of the University of Oklahoma in 2016. He has 362 catches for 4,038 yards and 22 receiving touchdowns with the Giants.

Returning for an eighth season to the only professional home he has known means something.

"This organization has been really good to me throughout my playing career, and some of the stuff that's happened over the years," Shepard said. "I'm grateful and thankful, and I try to give this organization everything I've got just for those reasons."

WEEKS AWAY! YAY!

For Giants to level up....we gotta beat dallas.....cant go 2-4 in division again....if we win game 1, I really like our chances...

biggest Keys to season is HELATH ---and-- Waller and Neal - we need them healthy and GOOD - word out of camp is Waller has been LEGIT

dabes is not a conservative coach - this offense is going to be a lot more aggressive this season

ALSO - word is our 6TH round pick CB Hawkins is killing it.....so much so giants are considering putting him and banks outside and adore in slot.....regardless D seems to have a lot more talent after 2 drafts with Joe

10-7 PLAYOFFS - 2nd in division AT WORST -

WEEKS AWAY! YAY!

For Giants to level up....we gotta beat dallas.....cant go 2-4 in division again....if we win game 1, I really like our chances...

biggest Keys to season is HELATH ---and-- Waller and Neal - we need them healthy and GOOD - word out of camp is Waller has been LEGIT

dabes is not a conservative coach - this offense is going to be a lot more aggressive this season

ALSO - word is our 6TH round pick CB Hawkins is killing it.....so much so giants are considering putting him and banks outside and adore in slot.....regardless D seems to have a lot more talent after 2 drafts with Joe

10-7 PLAYOFFS - 2nd in division AT WORST -

We didn’t go 2-4 in the division last year. We had one win in our division and it was due to a missed call in the end zone at the end of the game.

Waller has been a top 5 TE for a few years now. Interested in watching him play but he’s been injured every year.

We didn’t go 2-4 in the division last year. We had one win in our division and it was due to a missed call in the end zone at the end of the game.

Waller has been a top 5 TE for a few years now. Interested in watching him play but he’s been injured every year.

whoa whoa look who watches giants games.......that should go down this season....plenty of other QBs for you to hop on wagon this year

1. didnt say in 2022 they went 2-4 - as you know we had many losing seasons recently and pretty much every year its a losing season in the division i'd guess 2-4 many times during last 10 years - wouldnt be surprised if a few 1-5s got in there

bottom line 3-3 or 4-2 IS NEEDED at worst -

2. since you watched that game you can tell who the better team was that day.......its was clear......by the way giants final drive in regulation (or 2nd to final) Slayton dropped yet another pass that would have put the giants in FG range to win the game...

3. you think your boy wentz and his WASH were better than the giants, the reality is giants made the playoffs and finished the season further than minny and dallas did

giants made it to final 8, thus in 2022 they were a top 8 team just off of final results --------- factor in reg season ,go for it. i'd take how their season + playoffs went than how it went for minny dallas and any other team that got knocked out round one......good building block for a young team

Last edited:
Evan Neal = Ereck Flowers with “good” work ethic. The crazy thing is, Evan Neal is STILL going to be a liability, regardless of how much work he puts in…I just don’t believe in him, hes wayy too stiff|l

Back
Top Bottom