NT what Headphones you rock?

trilluminated trilluminated
Is all of that feasible for on-the-go? I'm just trying to picture that setup lol. In my research, I was lead to the Fiio X3 player which is affordable, and can be paired with a 64gb micro sd. Although, nothing compares to my 160gb classic.

Thanks though, gonna look more into amps and whatever a DAC is.

@Super Producer J

i guess it all depends on what you deem portable..

it's just that without an amp and some good music files you won't really get the most out of the hifimans.

it can range from this..

to this..

540573-alo_audio_continental_v2_tube_amp_fostex_hpp1_dacamp_ipod_classic_7th_gen_160_gb_combo.jpg

540575-alo_audio_continental_v2_tube_amp_fostex_hpp1_dacamp_ipod_classic_7th_gen_160_gb_combo.jpg

540575-alo_audio_continental_v2_tube_amp_fostex_hpp1_dacamp_ipod_classic_7th_gen_160_gb_combo.jpg

7271016664_b7cf6ef048_z.jpg

but i feel you, the iPod classic is where it's at because of the big *** hard drive.

Last edited:
Repped. Good info and pics to help me get an idea of what I'm getting myself into.

got me considering replacing my ipod classic for something else.

From what I've read, that model isn't noise cancelling, but I listen to mainly hip hop & r&b, and like my music loud so not sure if that would present a problem.

Jawnz is beautiful though.

I'm not 100% sure but I think the HE-300 are open-can headphones meaning that they leak a lot of sound. Generally they are meant for a more quiet environment because as they let a lot of air into and out of the headphone allowing for a greater sound stage compared to the closed cans. Now I'm not sure if you will be using these headphones outside but they might not be ideal as they will leak a ton of sound to the people around you, especially since you like the sound volume up.

trilluminated trilluminated
Is all of that feasible for on-the-go? I'm just trying to picture that setup lol. In my research, I was lead to the Fiio X3 player which is affordable, and can be paired with a 64gb micro sd. Although, nothing compares to my 160gb classic.

Thanks though, gonna look more into amps and whatever a DAC is.

Have you considered rock boxing your iPod Classic and getting a portable amp like the Fiio E11 or E17 (portable & home use)? This option gives you the ability to keep your current iPod Classic that has a ton of space and getting improved sound quality using an amp and line out cable out of the rock boxed iPod Classic.

Check out the Sony MA900 if you want to check out another open-can headphone that has a nice amount of bass. Granted the HE-300 are very good for the money.

Trill that's a nice portable rig you got. No pics of the cans? When are you getting the HD800?

Might have to look into the amp

Generally speaking an amp really doesn't benefit low impedance headphones 32ohm and below which are a majority of the popular portable headphones. The reason for such low impedance is so that portable devices like cell phones, laptops, tablets, mp3 players can easily provide enough power to said headphones.

If you are still interested on getting an amp, a good cheap portable amp would be either the Fiio E11 or the Cmoy pocket amp. If you want to use the amp for just home use, you can look into the Fiio E10. But if you want a combination of both portable and home use, look into the Fiio E17. Their are plenty of reviews out there on the amps listed.

those aren't my pics, ****, i wish..
laugh.gif

i was just trying to show homie two different types of rigs.

i do have a fiio e11 that crapped out on me, though.

and a pa2v2 amp that i stopped using.

What exactly does an amp DO? Does it only benefit certain types of headphones and portables or is it all around good? I've always appreciated good sound but never delved into that audiophile world too much because it's so complicated and expensive.

those aren't my pics, ****, i wish..:lol:

i was just trying to show homie two different types of rigs.

i do have a fiio e11 that crapped out on me, though.

and a pa2v2 amp that i stopped using.

What are your thoughts on the PA2V2?

Does that mean is it up for a trade? :nerd:

I'm still waiting for you to cop the HD800

Y4BBZY Y4BBZY

Good insight on those headphones & yes, I'd be using these for daily commute, as opposed to more quiet settings. The search continues. I'm just in love with the design lol.

What exactly does an amp DO? Does it only benefit certain types of headphones and portables or is it all around good? I've always appreciated good sound but never delved into that audiophile world too much because it's so complicated and expensive.

Boosts the signal thus providing clean power to drive your cans/iems

They help, a lot.

Last edited:

Hey Crazy, they usually benefit higher impedance headphones that are primarily used for home use and most are usually open headphones.

For me, a good pair of quality headphones and well recorded + mastered tracks make a ton of difference. This is assuming that DAC in your audio source (mp3 player, cell phone, laptop, tablet) is adequate enough. But if not you can get a cheap sansa clip/zip ($30) and an external SD card then rock box the player and you have a very good audio source for the money

No need to spend a ton of money on quality sound. Hope that helps Crazy.

Last edited:
Y4BBZY Y4BBZY

Good insight on those headphones & yes, I'd be using these for daily commute, as opposed to more quiet settings. The search continues. I'm just in love with the design lol.

No problem brah, I'm glad I can help.

Let me give you a couple of headphones to research to get you started.

Over Ear: UE6000, Creative Aurvana Live, V-Moda M-100, Ultrasone HFI-580
On Ear: V-Moda M-80, JVC S500, Sennheiser Amperior

This might help:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide

You should really try rockboxing your iPod classic. You would be surprised with the results.

Thanks Yabbz :D

I wish I knew where my HD-280s were. They're somewhere at my parents house. I only wear them inside though because that headband is so damn big. I always liked them.

Okay, I think I've narrowed my choices down to 4 pairs that I would like to try out (just need to find them in-store now). I can't tell you how many reviews I've watched and other accompanying products those reviews have led me to research; ultimately leaving me with more questions. However, I'll take things one step at a time, starting with the headphones. My choices are: a) Sennheiser Momentum (over-ear), b) Shure SRH 1540, c) Bowers & Wilkins P7, and d) V-Moda M100.

Most important to me are the reviews concerning comfort & durability. I don't have a trained ear to recognize all the flaws and/or triumphs of each pair, but I'm sure listening to each will help me get from 4 to 1. Aesthetically speaking, the Shures come in first place, followed by the Momentums, then P7s, and M-100s in last place.

What do you guys think about these choices? Any recommendations?

Also, I was going to "rockbox" my Ipod classic, but the site says it's unstable for my classic.

Okay, I think I've narrowed my choices down to 4 pairs that I would like to try out (just need to find them in-store now). I can't tell you how many reviews I've watched and other accompanying products those reviews have led me to research; ultimately leaving me with more questions. However, I'll take things one step at a time, starting with the headphones. My choices are: a) Sennheiser Momentum (over-ear), b) Shure SRH 1540, c) Bowers & Wilkins P7, and d) V-Moda M100.

Most important to me are the reviews concerning comfort & durability. I don't have a trained ear to recognize all the flaws and/or triumphs of each pair, but I'm sure listening to each will help me get from 4 to 1. Aesthetically speaking, the Shures come in first place, followed by the Momentums, then P7s, and M-100s in last place.

Also, I was going to "rockbox" my Ipod classic, but the site says it's unstable for my classic.

I have the M-100 if you get the matte black you can def wear them anywhere without looking like a fool. Sound is great took some time to really notice it but you'll notice the quality. The built is :x in a good way, you can literally stretch them out straight and they wont break.

Havnt tried any of those others but I'm loving my Momentums...build quality is on point and theyre mad comfy...sound is mad crisp too, like you I'm not trained for the technical aspect of sound but imo these are top notch for the price

i got these but i haven't been showing them any love..

from what i remember they sound great, i can only use them when i'm alone though.
laugh.gif

i might use them tonight to listen to that childish gambino.
smokin.gif

41gndeV4NfL.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom