NTers from the actual hood?

Originally Posted by biff lawson

i grew up in hood Harlem Queens (before the sell out stuff) and its pretty much nothing...just learn to stay on your toes from an early age

I'm from New Orleans and I am curious about "colors" especially gang related. So if you live in a blood neighborhood you couldn't even wear a blue shirt and vice versa with crips?

I'm from New Orleans and I am curious about "colors" especially gang related. So if you live in a blood neighborhood you couldn't even wear a blue shirt and vice versa with crips?

Sure, growing up in the hood might build integrity for like...the 5% of the people who make it out.  The other 95% are corrupted by the toxic environment

Sure, growing up in the hood might build integrity for like...the 5% of the people who make it out.  The other 95% are corrupted by the toxic environment

No disrespect to any hoods, it's not easy for some but the glorification puzzles me. Growing up we didn't live in the best neighborhoods, but when you been to El Salvador, the hood didn't look bad at all, you quickly learn that most of the things people consider "hood" are a luxury to some. I remember having friends talking about there hood but when I visit them, I'm like this isn't that bad and you live in a house, a HOUSE! See, we always lived in an apartment and me my (5) brothers always wished we had a house, with our own rooms, even if it was in the "hood".

As someone else mentions, builds characters, makes you more aware... I feel like I have more common sense then the average man and can't easily be hustled or BS'd.

So much I can add this topic, a neighborhood influences a person but doesn't determine how they end up, that's up to the individual and upbringings at home.

I have a nephew that lives in the hood but I got him in a good private school while he play sports with the kids from the "hood", point is, I give him exposure to both side of things and make sure he's able to socialize with anyone. I got a kid now myself, I plan to give him the best opportunities, safest school and community but make him aware, expose him to others reality. I think it's important for various reasons besides I wouldn't want him growing up like these suburb kids that pose and imitate what they see on TV not realizing, anyone in that situation would love to get out, that **# is real.

No disrespect to any hoods, it's not easy for some but the glorification puzzles me. Growing up we didn't live in the best neighborhoods, but when you been to El Salvador, the hood didn't look bad at all, you quickly learn that most of the things people consider "hood" are a luxury to some. I remember having friends talking about there hood but when I visit them, I'm like this isn't that bad and you live in a house, a HOUSE! See, we always lived in an apartment and me my (5) brothers always wished we had a house, with our own rooms, even if it was in the "hood".

As someone else mentions, builds characters, makes you more aware... I feel like I have more common sense then the average man and can't easily be hustled or BS'd.

So much I can add this topic, a neighborhood influences a person but doesn't determine how they end up, that's up to the individual and upbringings at home.

I have a nephew that lives in the hood but I got him in a good private school while he play sports with the kids from the "hood", point is, I give him exposure to both side of things and make sure he's able to socialize with anyone. I got a kid now myself, I plan to give him the best opportunities, safest school and community but make him aware, expose him to others reality. I think it's important for various reasons besides I wouldn't want him growing up like these suburb kids that pose and imitate what they see on TV not realizing, anyone in that situation would love to get out, that **# is real.

Originally Posted by Honest Abe Lives

Truth.

I thank the bad neighborhoods that I grew up in for physical, and mental toughness.
And most of all for my Hood Spidey Senses. 
It's like I can feel a ghetto situation taking place a full half hour before it occurs.
laugh.gif

I've upgraded my status from eye witness, to "saw it on the news".

Originally Posted by J PayCheck

thats what im saying...

95% of the ppl in the hood are looking to get out. the other 5% just gave up. 

man when i was in the hood, i lived in section 8. it was a pipe dream to own a house. 

Originally Posted by Honest Abe Lives

Truth.

I thank the bad neighborhoods that I grew up in for physical, and mental toughness.
And most of all for my Hood Spidey Senses. 
It's like I can feel a ghetto situation taking place a full half hour before it occurs.
laugh.gif

I've upgraded my status from eye witness, to "saw it on the news".

Originally Posted by J PayCheck

thats what im saying...

95% of the ppl in the hood are looking to get out. the other 5% just gave up. 

man when i was in the hood, i lived in section 8. it was a pipe dream to own a house. 

born and raised in watts

even people from the hood make it seem like its a bad thing to live here.

but what i have learned is if you mind your own buisness nothing bad will happen to you.

born and raised in watts

even people from the hood make it seem like its a bad thing to live here.

but what i have learned is if you mind your own buisness nothing bad will happen to you.

i'm in the Kensington part of Brooklyn, kind of near Flatbush so i'm kind of close to the hood, some stuff goes down here and there but otherwise it's pretty quiet

i'm in the Kensington part of Brooklyn, kind of near Flatbush so i'm kind of close to the hood, some stuff goes down here and there but otherwise it's pretty quiet

I just finished reading Monster... the world he describes in South Central with the gang banging culture of the time was mind blowing. The worst stuff I've seen here is like terry cloth compared to that stuff.

I just finished reading Monster... the world he describes in South Central with the gang banging culture of the time was mind blowing. The worst stuff I've seen here is like terry cloth compared to that stuff.

Coming up in southside chicago, is fun, dangerous, boring, a learning experience, and all that.
One of the most important things that no one has mentioned is how sexual everyone is at a young age.
I mean you guys see those videos of girls twerking, that is very real. Everybody loses they virginity
In jr. High school or at least by freshman year. Gangbanging is mandatory as far as affilation, but not everyone
Is deep into the activity. Drugs are major just like any other hood, but there are a lot of cool things that happen.
Everyone knows everyone, food is great, you get to witness talented athletes during high school. I watched d rose smash my high
School for two straight years in state championship. All the real bball heads knew he was next.
its cold in the chi so the only time the crimes really happen is in the summer, and as y'all know
The summer is crazy sad. Its mostly young dudes who do the murders too but I love my city.

Coming up in southside chicago, is fun, dangerous, boring, a learning experience, and all that.
One of the most important things that no one has mentioned is how sexual everyone is at a young age.
I mean you guys see those videos of girls twerking, that is very real. Everybody loses they virginity
In jr. High school or at least by freshman year. Gangbanging is mandatory as far as affilation, but not everyone
Is deep into the activity. Drugs are major just like any other hood, but there are a lot of cool things that happen.
Everyone knows everyone, food is great, you get to witness talented athletes during high school. I watched d rose smash my high
School for two straight years in state championship. All the real bball heads knew he was next.
its cold in the chi so the only time the crimes really happen is in the summer, and as y'all know
The summer is crazy sad. Its mostly young dudes who do the murders too but I love my city.

Growing up in Bed-Stuy in the Late 80's and 90's was pretty bad, everybody was gettin robbed. Now not so much. But i can honestly say Bed-Stuy (Do or Die) lived up to its name back in the day.

Growing up in Bed-Stuy in the Late 80's and 90's was pretty bad, everybody was gettin robbed. Now not so much. But i can honestly say Bed-Stuy (Do or Die) lived up to its name back in the day.

Back
Top Bottom