Official 2016-2017 NBA Season Thread - NBA rules Chris Bosh has a career ending injury

Who is the MVP?

• Russell Westbrook

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kawhi Leonard

• James Harden

• Lebron James

• Kevin Durant

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You know what's funny about that Avery Bradley quote....he says LeBron is the one that figured this out and had his team doing this to expose the Celtics defense. Does Tyronn Lue actually do anything at all? :lol:
We don't know if it came from LeBron's head or if LeBron was instructed to do so.

Not fair to make that claim against Lue.

Blake is always beating up on scrubs.

Wake me up when he shows out in a tough matchup.

Could say the same about Russ

He's been good against the elite PGs in matchups.

Namely, Steph and Cp3
If that's what you want to say say it.

It won't change the fact that Blake shrinks in every major matchup, as long as there is pressure, be it team name or PF/C name, Blake will blank.

If Russ does that cool, but this isn't Russ vs Blake it's Blake vs matchups he shrinks in.

League is basically at it's height right now with it's premiere teams in Cleveland, Oakland and San Antonio and the MVP frontrunners are in Oklahoma City and Houston. Other than the Celtics, the rest of the big market teams are all trash. NBA obviously doesn't need the big market teams to be anything special in order for them to be successful.

The discussion shouldn't be, "If the NBA NEEDS Big Markets to be good." We see that they don't NEED them to be good for the product to be solid.

The argument is, "If the Big Markets are good, is the NBA better." And to that, I would answer YES.

If the Lakers and KNicks were good, on top of what is happening now, the overall product and attention would be much greater.

Last edited:
Russ should be the MVP, but Harden probably gonna get it cuz winzzzzz

When you read stupid **** like this, you'd swear that Harden himself isn't averaging 29.2 ppg, 8.1 rpg and 11.2 apg. He is 1.9 boards away from averaging the magical arbitrary line that Westbrook is averaging due to padded rebounding numbers - something that is supported by a ton of evidence.

And you can cry and belittle "winzzzzz" all you want, but in the end they matter more than statzzzzz when it comes to MVP. Always have and always will. Especially in this case, because the Rockets were projected to have a worse season than the Thunder, despite losing Durant.

Last edited:
I cannot wait until the finals when this back and forth will be over because neither MVP candidate will be playing. 

When you read stupid **** like this, you'd swear that Harden himself isn't averaging 29.2 ppg, 8.1 rpg and 11.2 apg. He is 1.9 boards away from averaging the magical arbitrary line that Westbrook is averaging due to padded rebounding numbers - something that is supported by a ton of evidence.

And you can cry and belittle "winzzzzz" all you want, but in the end they matter more than statzzzzz when it comes to MVP. Always have and always will. Especially in this case, because the Rockets were projected to have a worse season than the Thunder, despite losing Durant.

Preach

James Harden-
Pre-All Star break: 29/8/11 on 44/35/85
Post-All Star break:
29/8/11 on 44/32/84

Russell Westbrook-
Pre All Star break:
31/11/10 on 42/34/83
Post All Star break:
34/11/11 on 44/36/87

James Harden-
Pre-All Star break: 29/8/11 on 44/35/85
Post-All Star break:
29/8/11 on 44/32/84

Russell Westbrook-
Pre All Star break:
31/11/10 on 42/34/83
Post All Star break:
34/11/11 on 44/36/87
And yet the award is for the whole season but some voters would be swayed by the last part

And yet the award is for the whole season but some voters would be swayed by the last part

Russ was their MVP pre all star break though if you go by how the media voted for the all star game. He was #1 then and has done nothing since to move him off that line. I've been saying this for months.

Russ is gonna carry a garbage roster that lost both Kevin Durant and Serge Ibaka to 47-48-49 wins, in the West, playing in 80ish games, while leading the league in scoring, 2nd in assists, pitching in 10 boards, and a couple steals in just over 34 minutes a night, in the West, breaking the record for most triple doubles in a season, while having a terrific record during those games, and people think that's NOT the MVP cuz "that's not how we vote"

:lol:

Russ should be the MVP, but Harden probably gonna get it cuz winzzzzz

first off, lets not pretend like the rockets outside of harden are world beaters. the rockets and thunder sans harden/westbrook are both pretty bad. i can't speak to where the thunder where predicted to be before the season, but i remember hearing the rockets would be anywhere from 6th to completely out of it.

second: harden averages 2.6 less points a game. he also shoots 5 shots less per game than russ does. 2.6 less rebounds, although we've all seen the the videos and read the stats on russ's uncontested rebounds/uncontested FGs so make of that what you will.

i'm not trying to diminish russ, because in fact, i made the same argument for harden over curry 2 years ago. but even then, harden's team won 56 games and finished 2nd in the west. russ is poised to finish 6th, maaaaaaaaybe 5th in the west.

lastly, in terms of the triple doubles. they're great. cool. if harden averaged 1.9 more rebounds, he'd also be averaging a triple double. would it then be a no brainer to give him the MVP? are we really going to hand out the MVP over a difference in 1.9 rebounds, or 8-10 wins? since i know you follow baseball, trout = harden // miggy - westbrook

The word arbitrary is being used so much in here and I love it. Maybe it'll start to sink in.

Also I love how Paul George recently learned that $45MM is on the line for him and has spent the last two weeks trying really hard to get it.

Russ was their MVP pre all star break though if you go by how the media voted for the all star game. He was #1 then and has done nothing since to move him off that line. I've been saying this for months.

Well using the all star thing isn't the same thing they polled like 60 media members or more a few weeks back and harden was number one

C8vN-V0WsAAxI7N.jpg:large

Well using the all star thing isn't the same thing they polled like 60 media members or more a few weeks back and harden was number one

There were more media members that voted on the all star game.

I was so infuriated last night watching Cleveland decimate my Celtics. Jae f'ing Crowder was pissing me off. LeBron is unstoppable but dude, he was blowing by you every time! C'mon guy! Put up a fight! make LeBron shoot! >:

I demand Alfred Horford give every cent he took from Boston, back to the front office. Danny Ainge should call up some lawyers and cease with Alfred's contract. Son is terrible. I was never on board for the off season signing of this wimp.

Oh, and after last night. We can all come to an agreement that Russell has surpassed KD as the second best player in the world and the soon to be MVP. The Brodie is not of this earth. Son is out of this world. Arguably the best individual season of all time.

Oddsmakers had the Rockets winning 44 games in October.

They had OKC winning 43.5 games.

Yet, this is an argument people use when debating the two that Harden clearly has the "better team". Maybe they were clearly overachieving this year and its because of Harden's elite jump?

At the end of the day, it sucks for Westbrook that Harden is having one of the best seasons in league history and leading one of the best offenses in league history during the same year he goes on this triple double tear.

Last edited:
You're moving goal posts who your pick for the all star game isn't your pick for the MVP

I'm not moving the goalposts at all.

I know all about that survey. Not all of them were even MVP voters.

Last edited:
I'm not moving the goalposts at all.

I know all about that survey.
Then what does your pick from the all star game have to do with your pick for the MVP?

And yet " they had Westbrook as the MVP since the start"

Last edited:
Then what does your pick from the all star game have to do with your pick for the MVP?

It's the mindset and how confirmation bias works. Almost everyone that has a media vote for the All Star game has a vote for MVP. Many of those same media members pegged Russ or LeBron for MVP before the season started. When you've had the guy as your #1 from the preseason to the All Star break and he's done nothing with his play to move him off that line, you're not going to change your pick.

All you hear now more and more media actually verbalize who they're voting for and it's almost exclusively Russ. Even the co-MVP chatter has died down considerably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom