Official 2016-2017 NBA Season Thread - NBA rules Chris Bosh has a career ending injury

Who is the MVP?

• Russell Westbrook

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kawhi Leonard

• James Harden

• Lebron James

• Kevin Durant

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oddsmakers had the Rockets winning 44 games in October.

They had OKC winning 43.5 games.

Yet, this is an argument people use when debating the two that Harden clearly has the "better team". Maybe they were clearly overachieving this year and its because of Harden's elite jump?

At the end of the day, it sucks for Westbrook that Harden is having one of the best seasons in league history and leading one of the best offenses in league history during the same year he goes on this triple double tear.

But garbage rosterz.

I'm done with the whole comparing teams right now it's been going on the whole season I'll go to sleep now

In non-MVP news who's getting the home court between UTA/LAC, 3/4 between WAS/TOR, and the 8 spots in both conferences?

Last edited:
Kanter and Vic the only other guys who have any semblance of an offensive game have both missed time as well.

It's not about rhythm it's about actually having offensive minded personnel around him. I'm sure he'd like to delegate some responsibly but it is what it is.
Lol @ rhythm. These guys are not good offensively. Don't know what rhythm there expected to get in.

Honestly I thought Kanter going down would cost Russell the MVP. It wasn't as bad as I thought but it might have cost then a shot at the magical 50 win mark.

I'd say okc's roster benefits Russ as much as the Rockets does for Harden.
get boards, play D, give the ball to Russ. That's the perfect offense for russ to be in and the offense he has always wanted. Like the team the sixers built around Iverson 2k1. Perfect team for him.

Last edited:
Lol @ rhythm. These guys are not good offensively. Don't know what rhythm there expected to get in.

Honestly I thought Kanter going down would cost Russell the MVP. It wasn't as bad as I thought but it might have cost then a shot at the magical 50 win mark.
They already have 33 losses

Same. I think they can still win out and get to 49 though.

get boards, play D, give the ball to Russ. That's the perfect offense for russ to be in.
I mean even if Russ's surrounding parts was outstanding, it's not like it would make much a difference. He Dominates the ball in a way that makes me feel like his teammates, relative to this conversation would be irrelevant.

get boards, play D, give the ball to Russ. That's the perfect offense for russ to be in.

I mean even if Russ's surrounding parts was outstanding, it's not like it would make much a difference. He Dominates the ball in a way that makes me feel like his teammates, relative to this conversation would be irrelevant.

Which is why he's in the perfect situation for him to be great.

Can't complain about him needing to defer at times when his second best player is content with being second fiddle.

Russ this year

#1 in scoring, almost 32 a game
#3 in assists, 10.4 a game
#8 in rebounds, 10.7 a game
#1 in Triple Doubles, HALF the games he's played this year.
#1 in PER, 3 full points ahead of the next guy
#1 in VORP, 3.5 ahead of the next guy
#18 in Minutes per game, less than both Bron and Harden
#10 in Steals
#9 in O win shares
#7 in D win shares
#1 in Box plus/minus
#1 in Offensive Box +/-
#2 in Defensive Box +/-
#1 in Assist %

#1 in total points
#3 in total assists (1 behind Wall)
#8 in total rebounds
#6 in total steals

32, 10.4, 10.7, 1.7 steals, 41 Triple Doubles in 78 games, PER just a shade under 31, in 34 minutes a night, playing every single night, with a team that lost one of the 2 best players in the NBA and Serge Ibaka, and he still gets them to 47-48 wins.

If he's not the most valuable player to his team, I mean......

I won't be mad if they give it to Harden, he fits what the league "always does" in terms of stats + record, but in sheer value, Russ is ahead of every player in the NBA this year. By a pretty wide margin.

When you have the highest usage in NBA history i expect you to have out of this world stats. Would be kind of sorry if you didn't

Last edited:
Russ this year

#1 in scoring, almost 32 a game
#3 in assists, 10.4 a game
#8 in rebounds, 10.7 a game
#1 in Triple Doubles, HALF the games he's played this year.
#1 in PER, 3 full points ahead of the next guy
#1 in VORP, 3.5 ahead of the next guy
#18 in Minutes per game, less than both Bron and Harden
#10 in Steals
#9 in O win shares
#7 in D win shares
#1 in Box plus/minus
#1 in Offensive Box +/-
#2 in Defensive Box +/-
#1 in Assist %

#1 in total points
#3 in total assists (1 behind Wall)
#8 in total rebounds
#6 in total steals

32, 10.4, 10.7, 1.7 steals, 41 Triple Doubles in 78 games, PER just a shade under 31, in 34 minutes a night, playing every single night, with a team that lost one of the 2 best players in the NBA and Serge Ibaka, and he still gets them to 47-48 wins.

If he's not the most valuable player to his team, I mean......

I won't be mad if they give it to Harden, he fits what the league "always does" in terms of stats + record, but in sheer value, Russ is ahead of every player in the NBA this year. By a pretty wide margin.
I mean you could make a case for some player like this every year as far as "Sheer Value" to a team. Who was more valuable to their team than Anthony Davis the year they made the playoffs?

The fact of the matter is, with all that you mentioned, they are the 6th seed. If he's averaging 9.2 rebs instead of 10. whatever it is, this isn't even a discussion. The only reason why a player on the 6th seeded team is in the convo is because he's averaging a 30 pt loaded triple double. Hell, he has over 25 more "Free Throw Rebounds" than anyone else in the league right now. You take those away then Boom, no triple double and the convo is over.

I'm not trying to trivialize what russ is doing. On the contrary, it's fascinating. But when harden is at about 30/8/11 on a 55 win team, it makes no sense to give the award to someone posting a similar line for the 6th seeded team.

Would love to see how the #'s/wins stack up to Russ from other PGs from years past who had high usage.

You can't even find this because there's never been a player with this high of a usage rate
laugh.gif

I mean you could make a case for some player like this every year as far as "Sheer Value" to a team. Who was more valuable to their team than Anthony Davis the year they made the playoffs?

The fact of the matter is, with all that you mentioned, they are the 6th seed. If he's averaging 9.2 rebs instead of 10. whatever it is, this isn't even a discussion. The only reason why a player on the 6th seeded team is in the convo is because he's averaging a 30 pt loaded triple double. Hell, he has over 25 more "Free Throw Rebounds" than anyone else in the league right now. You take those away then Boom, no triple double and the convo is over.

I'm not trying to trivialize what russ is doing. On the contrary, it's fascinating. But when harden is at about 30/8/11 on a 55 win team, it makes no sense to give the award to someone posting a similar line for the 6th seeded team.
agree with this. I think Russ is overrated when people say he's a top 3 player but he's in that 5 through 7 slot and not many people can do what he has done, as much as I can't stand him. It is what it is. A few people can put up more wins for okc and not have to put up triple doubles every night to get a 6th seed.

Hell Kd did it 14,when Russ missed some time and did it with a higher seed and didn't need triple doubles for that. Only person there was Ibaka. Team is very comparable to the team then have now.
If Russ had them as a top 4 seed I would say there is no Argument. Sorry but 6th seed. Not good enough and the "he has no one" narrative is garbage.

Last edited:

Preach

Would love to see how the #'s/wins stack up to Russ from other PGs from years past who had high usage.

You can't even find this because there's never been a player with this high of a usage rate :lol:

I just did a quick all-time search, and aside from Russ' 41% this season, there were only 2 PGs in the top 100...Steph and Tony Parker! Iverson was there too, but I guess it depends on how you view him at the position.

Link

I'd say okc's roster benefits Russ as much as the Rockets does for Harden.
The athletic size is a plus but they have the worst group of shooters in the league.

#28 in terms of percentage. You look at all the teams in the bottom 10 and they're either firmly out of the playoffs or just barely over .500... except OKC.

I thought they'd be around 41 wins because of the lack of floor spacing and I didn't expect Russ to play 82 games at a basically 50% usage rate.

They've surprised me. Didn't expect much from Houston either so I'm surprised there also.

Last edited:

He's the MVP.

Russ 2017- USG 42% in 34.8 mpg: 31.8ppg/10.7rpg/10.4apg/30.8 PER/15.6 BPM/12.0 VORP/12.8 WS

Steph 2016- USG 33% in 34.2 mpg: 30.1ppg/6.7apg/5.4 rpg/31.5 PER/12.5 BPM/9.8 VORP/17.9 WS

Magic 1987- USG 26% in 36.3 mpg: 23.9ppg/6.3rpg/12.2apg/27 PER/8.1 BPM/7.4 VORP/15.9 WS

I get the feeling people's dislike for Russ is why they don't want to anoint him as MVP. As great as Harden and Kawhi have been, Russ has had the best and most entertaining season this year.

Wonder how the players are going to vote...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom