Official 2016-2017 NBA Season Thread - NBA rules Chris Bosh has a career ending injury

Who is the MVP?

• Russell Westbrook

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kawhi Leonard

• James Harden

• Lebron James

• Kevin Durant

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean you could make a case for some player like this every year as far as "Sheer Value" to a team. Who was more valuable to their team than Anthony Davis the year they made the playoffs?

Right. We go thru this every year but now it should be different? If there was a history of the award going to the player with the best stats or who breaks the most records then yea give it to the rebound harlot. But that's not how it has EVER worked whether it was players or the media voting for MVP. So why change it now?

The athletic size is a plus but they have the worst group of shooters in the league.

#28 in terms of percentage. You look at all the teams in the bottom 10 and they're either firmly out of the playoffs or just barely over .500... except OKC.

I thought they'd be around 41 wins because of the lack of floor spacing and I didn't expect Russ to play 82 games at a basically 50% usage rate.

They've surprised me.
**** they've surprised me and I firmly believed they wouldn't make the playoffs this year. Huge credit to Russ and OKC for what they've been able to do this year. They aren't a terrible supporting cast, they just can't shoot.

That being said, I think we can agree on the fact that the reason Russ has a legit shot at the MVP is because of the triple double thing. And that right there is why he shouldn't win it. 32/11/10 vs 30/8/11 with a much lower usage rate and a much higher TS% suggest that the triple double shouldn't be the reason russ wins it and it shouldn't override the 8 win advantage the rockets have over the Thunder.

Russ is deserving, but Harden is clearly more deserving.

Russ 2017- USG 42% in 34.8 mpg: 31.8ppg/10.7rpg/10.4apg/30.8 PER/15.6 BPM/12.0 VORP/12.8 WS

Steph 2016- USG 33% in 34.2 mpg: 30.1ppg/6.7apg/5.4 rpg/31.5 PER/12.5 BPM/9.8 VORP/17.9 WS

Magic 1987- USG 26% in 36.3 mpg: 23.9ppg/6.3rpg/12.2apg/27 PER/8.1 BPM/7.4 VORP/15.9 WS

That further validates Steph > Russ :lol:

How mad will y'all be if Russ gets the award? I already said I'll be fine if it goes to Harden.

Right. We go thru this every year but now it should be different? If there was a history of the award going to the player with the best stats or who breaks the most records then yea give it to the rebound harlot. But that's not how it has EVER worked whether it was players or the media voting for MVP. So why change it now?
Breh Kobe didn't average a triple double but he averaged over 35ppg with like a billion 40 pt games and scored 81 pts in one game in the same season and didn't come close to winning the MVP. I think Mike averaged over 37 a game in 1987 and he didn't win it. This isn't the firs time someone went ballistic and literally every time, if the wins don't accompany it, they don't win it. So why the change?

I personally think social media being around is helping this russ inferno a lot. There's no way russ has this tangible momentum w/o it.

But without a doubt the most impressive thing is Westbrooks stamina
24 shots, over 10 free throw attempts, AND 10 assists in 34 minutes is just silly. You have to be ridiculously active to do all of that in only 34 mins.

Posted it a few days ago, but the shot attempts & free throw attempts are higher than all of Kobe & Jordan's seasons except for 1 and those two were pushing 39-40 mpg.

He puts an absurd amount of pressure on the defense when he's out there. Ridiculous conditioning.

Warriors have won 13 straight.

Steph.
27/8/4/2

50/47/85

Lulz at T1000 or Russ being on his level

Fun is over come Saturday. My fantasy team appreciated this resurgence though, may carry me to the chip.

Last edited:
The athletic size is a plus but they have the worst group of shooters in the league.

#28 in terms of percentage. You look at all the teams in the bottom 10 and they're either firmly out of the playoffs or just barely over .500... except OKC.

I thought they'd be around 41 wins because of the lack of floor spacing and I didn't expect Russ to play 82 games at a basically 50% usage rate.

They've surprised me.

**** they've surprised me and I firmly believed they wouldn't make the playoffs this year. Huge credit to Russ and OKC for what they've been able to do this year. They aren't a terrible supporting cast, they just can't shoot.

That being said, I think we can agree on the fact that the reason Russ has a legit shot at the MVP is because of the triple double thing. And that right there is why he shouldn't win it. 32/11/10 vs 30/8/11 with a much lower usage rate and a much higher TS% suggest that the triple double shouldn't be the reason russ wins it and it shouldn't override the 8 win advantage the rockets have over the Thunder.

Russ is deserving, but Harden is clearly more deserving.
Yea I wasn't expecting much out of Houston either. If James wins it certainly isn't a robbery

How mad will y'all be if Russ gets the award? I already said I'll be fine if it goes to Harden.
Exactly. I been saying I'm cool with Harden winning it but it seems like the people who want Harden to win doesn't want Russ to win it at all.

C8vN-V0WsAAxI7N.jpg:large
I swear older players love to rewrite history

I'm conflicted because I really don't want Harden to win either :lol:. They are both deserving but if I had to choose between them I'd rather Russ win it. I already put money on Kawhi so I'm just being pulled apart right now

I'd be fine with Co-MVP cause the story's already wrote and re-wrote itself but Russ over Harden would be a little more open-ended 

Last season steps was crazy
He robbed harden the season before that tho

I wouldnt say "rob", but Harden def deserved it as well. He was my pick for MVP that year but Steph winning didnt upset me. 

Same thing for this year. Russ winning wouldnt upset me, I just think it should go to Harden and historical precedence backs up that belief.

Facts. The Lou Will addition has been big. Houston has outperformed expectations but part of that is players like Gordon and Lou Will having huge contributions. And it's funny how no one is discussing Houston has shot 500 more threes than the next closest team this year. 1100 more than OKC. Houston's success isn't squarely based upon Harden. D'Antoni has these guys jacking up triples at a historic level. Nearly 50% of Houston's shots are threes. Absolutely nothing is happening in OKC without Russ balling out.

How do you think they're able to get so many threes up? Of course Morey & MDA want them firing away from deep, but Harden is the engine that makes it all work.

Most wide-open three point attempts this season:

Eric Gordon
Ryan Anderson
Kaminsky
Brook Lopez
Ariza

3 of the top 5 play for the Rockets. That's directly related to Harden's ability to draw the defense and his incredible court vision/playmaking skills. Houston's offense is top 10 in league history. They play the most analytically-savvy style, but none of that is possible without Harden.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom