Votes: 238 10.1%
  • UNC

Votes: 77 3.3%
  • Kentucky

Votes: 19 0.8%
  • Neutral Grey

Votes: 32 1.4%

• Total voters
Ultraboosts are great...Flyknit had a leg up on adidas in 2012 with Flyknit trainers/racers/lunars. Nike dropped the ball a bit on that tech IMO

Says the guy who told me to "take a step back" because he didn't like what I said lol

Why even comment if you don't care what I said?
dog i dont mind what you said i was saying it isn't that deep which is why i said that "take a step back". again you're taking my joking of your post too seriously.

"Risks" as in collabs and new models (including the R2 and new UB silhouettes), plus the fact that Nike/JB has been using some combination of Air/Zoom and Lunar for how many years now? At least they are trying to push React now but what tech are they pushing to compete with Boost, or can we just expect more Zoom for another 20 years? I'm honestly surprised I have to explain this to you guys-I guess I shouldn't overestimate the average NT poster. It's also ironic you mention that Adidas puts out too many cws when there are retros that are literally rotting on shelves because JB flooded the market so much.

But, anyways, the AJ 1 Off-White is a creative risk for Nike/JB and, although I don't like it, it is a step in the right direction.

my point was...
you can't criticize for Nike not being creative/not taking risk/using the same technology and not be critical of Adidas as well.

Boost technology has been around for over 5 years already. UltraBoost are on their 4th generation (and getting worse).
There are alot of Nike shoes that are just as comfortable as ultra boost. They just don't have a cool midsole. My Air Max 1 Ultra Moire are mad comfortable

Adidas AND Nike puts out too many products, imo. Its hard to "create the greatest thing ever" when you're releasing shoes every week

I'm old enough to remember when NMDs were cool

dog i dont mind what you said i was saying it isn't that deep which is why i said that "take a step back". again you're taking my joking of your post too seriously.

Once again, why even comment to "step back" if my post didn't make you feel some type of way?

man while yall beefing let's take a minute to
SmartSelectGIF_2017-08-17-13-28-10.gif

Last edited:
my point was...
you can't criticize for Nike not being creative/not taking risk/using the same technology and not be critical of Adidas as well.

Adidas AND Nike puts out too many products, imo. Its hard to "create the greatest thing ever" when you're releasing shoes every week

I'm old enough to remember when NMDs were cool

I think you may have missed my point.

My issue with Nike is that they keep releasing either the same products (retros) over and over again or they release some half baked idea that tries to mix already successful products (I.e. JB's HORRIBLE Fusion-era AF/AJ Retro releases or the Flyknit AJ 1s) vs. actually coming up with something new and exciting or taking a creative risk and letting someone else take over much of the design of a product. They have done this VERY successfully in the past (I.e. Air Yeezy, Just Don, etc.) and it blows my mind how they seem unwilling to do this more often but Adidas seems to.

To be fair, I think the creative issues might stem from a bunch of old dudes at Nike, who are completely out of touch with the culture, making too many creative decisions on what gets green lit and what doesn't. Ironically, the big budget movie industry also suffers from this which is the primary reason who so many remakes of existing IPs and sequels to established franchises are created.

Once again, I was talking about risks in a creative sense-it's the reason I brought up specific models released.

Obviously, Nike probably sells more Air Monarchs than all of Adidas' Boost models combined but creatively that is not a creative risk. The Off-White collab is a creative risk as Nike is letting someone else (Virgil and his team, ostensibly) design a Nike/JB product without involving the usual, Nike creative forces and add to this fact, that the Off-White collab seems to be more avant garde than anything Nike/JB have released recently, I think it's a big creative risk for Nike/JB.

Adidas has been more willing to give up more creative control (based on the number of colllabs) than Nike has, which is inherently a risk, don't you think?

Acronym Air Force 1
KAWS - Jordan 4
Supreme - Jordan 5 and Air Max 98 (and Uptempo)
Tom Sachs
Don C - Jordan 2
RF
Riccardo Tisci - Air Force 1

Name an Adidas collab thats touching any of the above mentioned

Acronym Air Force 1
KAWS - Jordan 4
Supreme - Jordan 5 and Air Max 98 (and Uptempo)
Tom Sachs
Don C - Jordan 2
RF
Riccardo Tisci - Air Force 1

Name an Adidas collab thats touching any of the above mentioned

Lol Tisci AF 1s were hideous and went on disco bruh

But, I digress, my point was that Nike can have successful collabs but they seem to limit these collabs in favor of "more of the same" uninspired cws. Look at how much attention the Off-White collab has gotten them. Adidas did tons of collabs the past few years and, I really hated some, it brought some really good attention to the brand and made them more relevant as a result.

I think you may have missed my point.

They have done this VERY successfully in the past (I.e. Air Yeezy, Just Don, etc.) and it blows my mind how they seem unwilling to do this more often but Adidas seems to.
I'd love to see the umbers that show nike is falling behind on the collaborative front. Nike has been doing collaborations with stores for decades now, probably before mostregular posters on NT were even into sneakers.

I'm not sure what risks you're referring to that adidas is taken. 50 new nmds a month? same ultraboost model for 4 years? bringing back old kobes with primknit? unless you've seen some of the samples for the coming seasons, now those are some risks, but I seriously doubt you've seen those.

I sold a pair of shoes for about $100 profit so after offsetting costs it works out to basically be retail.

Should have clarified, yes the 2016 banned 1s. I refuse to call them 'Breds' since they're 1s. And both shoes are right at that 275 price point but as stated after selling the shoes they are both retail essentially. The LM are untouched when it comes to stripping paint.

I plan on getting both but unure which one to get first. Would grab both right now but I am getting my grails tomorrow and can't drop even more money.
Frankly, I'd still go with the Lance Mountains - I'm biased in that they're one of my favorite pairs, but someone also had a good point: black/reds have been retro'd a thousand times and will continue to be. LM's are a pretty unique pair and hell, you still get a black/red in there. Black LM's are pretty subtle if you keep the black laces in despite the mismatch.

no, i hear you. i get your point. but what you don't realize is that you're describing Adidas in the same breath.

No I wasn't.

I can't tell if you are messing with me because you seem too intelligent to not understand this but here goes..

Nike and Adidas both produce some shoes (and apparel) to sell in massive quantities. These are your Monarchs, AF1, Stan Smiths, Superstars, etc. etc. There's not much of a creative risk with these because they will sell, regardless (I.e. white green Stan Smiths, white AF 1s, etc.). My point was, when it comes to moving creative control OUTSIDE of the company via collabs, Adidas seems MUCH less reluctant to do this than Nike does. It doesn't make sense to me because Nike has been very successful with this in the past but has limited these collabs much more than Adidas has.

Last edited:
No I wasn't.

I can't tell if you are messing with me because you seem too intelligent to not understand this but here goes..

Nike and Adidas both produce some shoes (and apparel) to sell in massive quantities. These are your Monarchs, AF1, Stan Smiths, Superstars, etc. etc. There's not much of a creative risk with these because they will sell, regardless (I.e. white green Stan Smiths, white AF 1s, etc.). My point was, when it comes to moving creative control OUTSIDE of the company via collabs, Adidas seems MUCH less reluctant to do this than Nike does. It doesn't make sense to me because Nike has been very successful with this in the past but has limited these collabs much more than Adidas has.

name these Adidas collabs you're speaking of? are you talking about all the consortium x adidas releases?

ok, so excluding any collab with an ultra boost + NMD (since those will sell anyway), which adidas x consortium release moved the needle for you?

cause i can't give them credit for "taking a risk" with an ultraboost or NMD 1

Not even including longtime collabs like Stella, Y-3 and Yeezy, off the top of my head: Wood Wood, White Mountaineering, Reigning Champs (including apparel), SNS, NK, Opening Ceremony, etc.

I know it's an NMD XR-1 but I LOVED the Masterminds.

Not all of the collabs were hits though, I know people loved them but I was not impressed with the Bape NMD Adidas collab (not sure why they used such poor quality mesh) and, as much as I love Bedwin & the Heartbreakers, that was kind of a lazy collab, IMO.

None of these collabs took the creative risk Off-White is taking releasing such an avant garde AJ 1 (Raff and Jeremy Scott probably come the closest, on the Adidas front). I would LOVE to see Nike take this approach more but the old guys who make these decisions at Nike rather pump out more retros weekly.

Back
Top Bottom