Votes: 238 10.1%
  • UNC

Votes: 77 3.3%
  • Kentucky

Votes: 19 0.8%
  • Neutral Grey

Votes: 32 1.4%

• Total voters
Video on the 2nd slide... Looks like an acceptable consolation prize for anyone who strikes out on the unc blue joints

Air Jordan 1 High OG Quai 54

Mismatch color blocking
20201212_000305.jpg

Screenshot_20201212-000017_Chrome.jpg

I think most AJ1s were “solid” this year. About a dozen very decent pairs, plenty options for most people to enjoy. The issue is there weren’t any OGs. There wasn’t an amazing collab. For me, amazing means looks great AND is creative. Diors looked great but weren’t creative. The Balvins were creative but don’t look great.

2018 was AMAZING. One of the best years ever IMO. 2019 was a let down in comparison but had 5-6 very strong pairs, so still pretty darn good. This year and next year just look lackluster at the top on comparison.
I agree with most of this. We did have 2 unreleased OG's this year and last year the LA to CHI was pretty much 2 unreleased OG's in one. I have most pairs from both 19' and 20' and would take my top 5 or 10 from 20' over 19'. I will easily give 2019 for having better women's pairs though, but I can't fit but 1 so those that I can't aren't in my evaluation.

I agree with most of this. We did have 2 unreleased OG's this year and last year the LA to CHI was pretty much 2 unreleased OG's in one. I have most pairs from both 19' and 20' and would take my top 5 or 10 from 20' over 19'. I will easily give 2019 for having better women's pairs though, but I can't fit but 1 so those that I can't aren't in my evaluation.

Curious to read your top-5 from 2019 and 2020. I'll list mine. This year is weak at the top, except for the Diors but at $2K retail those don't really seem fair to include.

Sheesh, making this list reinforced that 2018 really was amazing. Probably the best year since '85.

Sure-fire future classics
Unions (both colors)
SoleFlys (both colors)
Off-Whites (both colors)

Great pairs, possible future classics
Not For Resale (both colors)
Best Hands in the Game pack
Gold Toes
Bred Toes (not my favorite but people seem to love them)
Spider-Mans (same)
Nigels (so underrated)
Satin Shattered Backboards

Very good pairs
Shadows (OG, already classics of course)
Purple Toes
Pine Greens
Rookie of the Year
Game Royals
Pass The Torch (Kawhi Leonards - you can argue this pair is a sure-fire classic considering he's no longer with Nike).
Aleali Mays

Sheesh!!!! I didn't even include Colette's because those are F&F and seemed unattainable. The only thing missing from 2018 was more OGs.

Last edited:
2019 was always going to be a let-down from 2018, but still a solid year overall.

Travis
LA to Chi - I go back and forth on what category to put these in, but I just love them so much.

Obsidians
Blue Chills
Satin Black Toes

Very good pairs
Fearless UNC
Turbo Green
Black Gym Red (so underrated)
NYC to Paris

I'm confident that in 2019 Jordan Brand started to really focus on pushing Mids. They came out with some very good ones, with improved colorways and materials. If they made Clots, Chateaus, Blue the Greats, or Patent Black/Gold/Whites as highs, they would probably go in the "Great Pairs" category. That the Clots were not a High was a travesty.

Last edited:
Curious to read your top-5 from 2019 and 2020. I'll list mine. This year is weak at the top, except for the Diors but at $2K retail those don't really seem fair to include.
Travis Scott
LA 2 CHI
SBB 3.0
Turbo Green
Obsidian/UNC
Mocha
CP 2.0
Biohack
Silver Japan
Navy Japan

2019 was always going to be a let-down from 2018, but still a pretty solid year overall.

Travis
LA to Chi - I go back and forth on what category to put these in, but I just love them so much.

Obsidians
Blue Chills

Very good pairs
Fearless UNC
Turbo Green
Black Gym Red (so underrated)
NYC to Paris
Yeah, I said this before, 2018 was epic for sure.

Another note. While compiling the list for 2018, I realized that 2017 was great at the top: Off-White Chicagos, Aleali May (Shadows), Rust Pinks & Igloos, Gold Toe Top 3s. I thought most of those were from 2018 but I guess time flies.

2020 is also a let down compared to 2017 & especially 2018. But I can see why someone would think it's better than 2019, with the large amount of “very good” pairs.

Diors (but at $2K retail, is this even fair to include?)

New Beginnings ('85 White/Red, my AJ1 of the year if we don't count Diors)
J Balvins (just because they're so unique and historic)
Mochas

Very good pairs
'85 Varsity Red (reverse Bred)
Court Purples
Smoke Greys
COJP Navy & Silver
Biohacks
Royal Toes (I don't care for them but many people love them)
NC to Chi leather
Tie Dyes (if the materials were better and the toebox white, they would be GREAT)
Satin Snake Skins

Note: I think 2020 had more "very good" pairs than 2017, 2018, or 2019. So for people who don't have many AJ1s, it was a good year to pick up some solid pairs.

But the top has been so weak. Diors don't seem fair to include with a $2k retail price. I would take Travis and LA to Chi over anything else released in 2019. Most of us have so many sneakers, that a pair has to be special to really grab our attention or capture our hearts. That's why 2020 was such a let down, there wasn't a single special pair we could have bought for under $200.

Last edited:
I was wit you til you put them moist J Balvins in the possible classics section :sick:

Haha. I qualified my reasons for putting them there. People absolutely HATED Off-Whites at first. People hated Unions at first. I don’t like the Balvins much, but wouldn’t be surprised if in 2-3 years people are lusting after them.

Edit: I liked OWs from the jump, and LOVED Unions from the very first pics. I hated Balvins in pics but warmed up to them in hand. I still don’t love them but I could see why some people might.

Last edited:
I was wit you til you put them moist J Balvins in the possible classics section :sick:

He lost credibility with that argument a few days ago.

Haha. I qualified my reasons for putting them there. People absolutely HATED Off-Whites at first. People hated Unions at first. I don’t like the Balvins much, but wouldn’t be surprised if in 2-3 years people are lusting after them.

Edit: I liked OWs from the jump, and LOVED Unions from the very first pics. I hated Balvins in pics but warmed up to them in hand. I still don’t love them but I could see why some people might.

Stop rationalizing man. The Balvins are a disgrace. There is no explanation for what they are and what they will be. They are NOT anywhere near an OW or Union.

2020 is also a let down compared to 2017 & especially 2018. But I can see why someone would think it's better than 2019, with the large amount of “very good” pairs.

Diors (but at $2K retail, is this even fair to include?)

New Beginnings ('85 White/Red, my AJ1 of the year if we don't count Diors)
J Balvins (just because they're so unique and historic)
Mochas

Very good pairs
'85 Varsity Red (reverse Bred)
Court Purples
Smoke Greys
COJP Navy & Silver
Biohacks
Royal Toes (I don't care for them but many people love them)
NC to Chi leather
Tie Dyes (if the materials were better and the toebox white, they would be GREAT)
Satin Snake Skins

Note: I think 2020 had more "very good" pairs than 2017, 2018, or 2019. So for people who don't have many AJ1s, it was a good year to pick up some solid pairs.

But the top has been so weak. Diors don't seem fair to include with a $2k retail price. I would take Travis and LA to Chi over anything else released in 2019. Most of us have so many sneakers, that a pair has to be special to really grab our attention or capture our hearts. That's why 2020 was such a let down, there wasn't a single special pair we could have bought for under $200.

:ohwell:

Honestly the best years were when it was easy to pick up 1s, sometimes even on discount. Walked in to FNL and JJ on release an easily got 2 pairs of shadows, which **** on all of those collabs mentioned. Had to make a little drive for ROTYs but still got them well into the night of release day, **** it might have even been a day or two later. Bought Game Royals in the after market for retail. Retail!

You hype beasts can keep your collabs and ugly *** multicolor mismatched shoes... just give me decent colorways with out having to pray you get lucky on a release or paying some **** boy reseller and I'll be happy, but as is, JB is actually just saving me money qt this point.

Honestly the best years were when it was easy to pick up 1s, sometimes even on discount. Walked in to FNL and JJ on release an easily got 2 pairs of shadows, which **** on all of those collabs mentioned. Had to make a little drive for ROTYs but still got them well into the night of release day, **** it might have even been a day or two later. Bought Game Royals in the after market for retail. Retail!

You hype beasts can keep your collabs and ugly *** multicolor mismatched shoes... just give me decent colorways with out having to pray you get lucky on a release or paying some **** boy reseller and I'll be happy, but as is, JB is actually just saving me money qt this point.

Your argument is trash. ROY AND GAME ROYALS? 🤣. THAT is what you are bringing to the table to make your point against Union 1s!? PLEASE, just stop.

Back
Top Bottom