Official BBQ thread

Yall recommending some grocery store marinade? Ahhh helll nawwwwwwwww.

I thought i was gonna get some real Jamaican response. If im in the states, south to be exaxt, what ingredients can get me to the closest to authentic jerk chicken?

Learned a lesson today - I've always used a temperature fork (we've been through this but how else do you know your food is done?) and today I was grilling burgers and hot dogs at my kids school fundraiser - same setup as last year. Spent about $100 and took in about $400 for 80 burgers and 70 dogs.

Anyway, someone broke my fork last week so I bought a new waterproof version. You can calibrate this one and it turns out my old one way over reads - I was struggling to get the first few burgers up to temp before they went black so checked with my new one and found that the cheap one was about 20° lower.

Just shows that you get what you pay for - I was safe with the other one but just at risk of crap food. This one also reads much quicker too which is nice.

I bought this one - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y4YY4L9/?tag=niketalk0e-20

I thought i was gonna get some real Jamaican response. If im in the states, south to be exaxt, what ingredients can get me to the closest to authentic jerk chicken?

It's from Jamaica my guy ...

Walkerswood is legit though.

I've used this one before and it was alright: http://caribbeanpot.com/a-classic-jamaican-jerk-marinade/

The "real" jerk marinades use scotch bonnets but habaneros are pretty much identical and can be found everywhere

Last edited:

Walkerswood is legit though.

I've used this one before and it was alright: http://caribbeanpot.com/a-classic-jamaican-jerk-marinade/

The "real" jerk marinades use scotch bonnets but habaneros are pretty much identical and can be found everywhere

That link pretty much has the seasoning covered (except the juice and whole allspice for more flavor). The store bought Jamaican made seasoning is actually added as an extra kick at times. It's literally the same mixture, though nothing beats homemade. If you really want to get as close to the authentic flavor, the seasoning is one part, the rest is the charcoal and pimento wood grilling/smoking. Look up some of the products at pimentowood.com they import the leaves and wood. Fam loves when I put that on.

Last edited:
Has anyone in here ever made beef jerky from store bought meat?

Tips? Recommendations?

I do it all the time. Regarding tips, here are some: flip your trays halfway through the total duration of dehydrating. If using soy sauce or teriyaki, you need very little additional salt. I use either white or brown sugar to balance the flavor profile. Marinate the meat at least 24 hours before you start dehydrating.

Anyone ever smoke a goat? Gonna get a goat in a couple months and i dont want to do it traditional style (in the ground) i wanna smoke that *****.

Anyone ever smoke a goat? Gonna get a goat in a couple months and i dont want to do it traditional style (in the ground) i wanna smoke that *****.

I've never smoked goats but I have smoked large game: venison and boar. The main worry is keeping it moist. Smokers are made for fatty animal like pigs or fatty cuts like brisket.

For deer, I cut off the head and the feet and shanks and then fill the main cavity of the deer with butter and seasoning. I cover the outside with butter and seasoning. I baste it every half hour or so. If the deer is bigger and/or tougher, I'll lardon some of the thicker pieces of meat in order to get fat into all of the meat and prevent drying.

If you don't want to use butter, use lard or suet. Just make sure your goat does not dry out.

BTW, don't throw out the head or the feet and ankles. I like to make stock with those pieces.

Goat doesn't sound well suited to low and slow cooking - I don't think it would have enough fat and it feels like the smoke flavor would be odd. It's probably more suited to straight roasting.

Interesting to try though.

I'd like to do some big hunks of lamb and see what it does. I saw guys cooking lamb over coals on some travel show and it looked delicious.

Today I'll just be grilling some pork steaks.

Anyone else use a chicken rack for Chicken Legs? I've been using one for my last 4 BGE cooks and the chicken comes out better than ever.

Nah, he can handle it. Don't feel sorry for him.

Zik, use some salt, pepper, and garlic powder man.

No matter what

[emoji]9994[/emoji][emoji]9994[/emoji][emoji]9994[/emoji]

Master Zik Master Zik

I guess your approach is, "If I use marinade, I don't need to season my food."

Not a single SPECK of seasoning on that wings man.
I don't use marinade.

It was seasoned first, then used some green onion seasoning and then put it on the grill.

I do need to re-up on some black pepper though. Garlic pepper isn't the same.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom