Official BBQ thread

Kinda wanna get a Weber Smokey mountain since I’m trying to smoke beef ribs and regular ribs this year for the first time
I have a kettle not sure if it’s worth it

where do you even find beef ribs at? Cant find them at the supermarket and didn’t see them at the butcher at Whole Foods but I didn’t ask them. Only place I’ve heard is at Costco but I don’t have a membership

Yeah probably will have to ask a butcher. Local or Supermarket

Stores around me only carry Back Ribs so I usually have to ask my local butcher if I want Short or Chuck

How many pounds is typical for 3 people? And what should I be paying around

I gotta figure out how to maintain charcoal at a low temp for 6 hours too
Might get some long burn kingsford

How many pounds is typical for 3 people? And what should I be paying around

I gotta figure out how to maintain charcoal at a low temp for 6 hours too
Might get some long burn kingsford
Not sure how many pounds or price but Short Ribs intact come in three so you can kinda guage off that how many bones you think each person would eat (or want leftovers too). I pay around 9$ bucks per pound

Fwiw I have two kamados. But one is an xl bge and the other a joe jr. I find that the two different sizes works wel because it’s not always worth the time and fuel to fire up the big one. I use the joe jr much more often
I have the second one listed for sale. No need for two. Briefly considered getting a Traeger but we got plenty of other things we could use the money for.

Kinda wanna get a Weber Smokey mountain since I’m trying to smoke beef ribs and regular ribs this year for the first time

where do you even find beef ribs at? Cant find them at the supermarket and didn’t see them at the butcher at Whole Foods but I didn’t ask them. Only place I’ve heard is at Costco but I don’t have a membership
I did ribs last year for the first time on my kettle and it turned out awesome. Check out howtobbqright on YouTube.

Yeah they are nice, Sam's used to sell one just like it for a fraction of the price, and KJs might be a little cheaper and are just as good if not better to some people, my friend owns a Big Joe and insists it's worth the $2,500 he paid. I would never... but these pellet smokers are the truth. I might get a Pit Boss when they go on sale or something.

Yeah they are worth. But as mentioned I would go kj since it comes with all the parts/accessories you need. Unlike the bge which you have to buy all that **** separately.

In the market for a new grill..is the big green egg worth all the hype?

I’d also check out the Weber Summit Kamado. Easier to move around and will never crack.

I personally have a Weber kettle along with a Smokey Mountain and bounce between the 2 depending on what I’m cooking.

Outcome - not bad. Some really good tender parts and others were fine but not perfect. It was a really cold windy afternoon which probably didn’t help.

I’m never quite sure if that means it needs longer or pulled a few degrees earlier.

Pulled apart easily though and you can see the bend in the picture.

64E62A75-726A-4BCE-BDDC-67BE2175AC06.jpeg

529DF0C7-1A4B-4030-BD0E-4C075FBBB26D.jpeg
I noticed the smoke ring you have, very nice and light. Did you use any wood? If so what kind and for how long

I sometimes add a few chunks - I’ve got a box with a selection in it - cherry, apple, mesquite I think. I’m not sure it makes much difference to the taste.

The PBC does seem to give a good smoke ring - I suppose because it’s well sealed at the top so it’s a fairly oxygen free environment where the meat is.

In the market for a new grill..is the big green egg worth all the hype?

I have one....It absolutely is.
I got one of the bigger ones during COVID with accessories for a good deal. No one was buying then for obvious reasons, so it worked out for me.

PO

I have a relationship with a farmer in Kansas that I buy beef from and that's where I get my beef ribs, steaks and ground beef from.

I have one....It absolutely is.
I got one of the bigger ones during COVID with accessories for a good deal. No one was buying then for obvious reasons, so it worked out for me.

PO

think I’m leaning towards the Kamado Joe after doing some research and because it comes with all accessories. Unfortunately I can’t find the Classic III in stock anywhere so going to have to keep searching

think I’m leaning towards the Kamado Joe after doing some research and because it comes with all accessories. Unfortunately I can’t find the Classic III in stock anywhere so going to have to keep searching
You try ace hardware? Costco used to have the kj roadshows too, tho not sure if they still do.

You try ace hardware? Costco used to have the kj roadshows too, tho not sure if they still do.

checked the one closest to me last week and they were out. Lowe’s too. Gotta give them a call to see when they’ll be getting more in

Back
Top Bottom