OFFICIAL DISNEY+ STREAMING THREAD we're in the endgame now

The big argument for this is that it would be a great option for families with kids. But the problem with that is Mulan is a pg-13 action movie and it’s being marketed like one. Think that’s gotta turn some parents off.

I really can’t imagine anybody in the 18-34 demo paying $30 for a rental of this.

seems like a big mistake for Disney.

Honestly. If you have kids, not a bad proposition.

But yeah, patience will pay off in the end. Four or five months possibly.

I just watched UFC 251. It’s a month old and on ESPN+. A lot of options out there. No offense to Disney+ right now but Amazon and Netflix have content too. And COVID slowed the momentum and hype. No Marvel films in theaters. No Marvel TV content. No Disney animated content either.

Honestly. If you have kids, not a bad proposition.

But yeah, patience will pay off in the end. Four or five months possibly.

I just watched UFC 251. It’s a month old and on ESPN+. A lot of options out there. No offense to Disney+ right now but Amazon and Netflix have content too. And COVID slowed the momentum and hype. No Marvel films in theaters. No Marvel TV content. No Disney animated content either.
I wouldn’t be mad at them upping the sub price by like 5-6 dollars
And dropping all new movies on there

if it means i can watch it an unlimited amount of times once paid for, then its not a bad deal

Insider has now confirmed with a Disney+ representative that this is not a one-time rental charge. Instead, you'll be able to keep Mulan and "have continuous access to the film for as long as they remain subscribers to the service."

Saw the Mulan news & thought it was a joke. That's WILD. Who the **** is going to pay for this?

Also - and IDK if this is accurate - did they switch up the entire premise of the film? My gf seems to think in this remake, Mulan is a girl the entire time. It's never that she's disguised as a boy.

Disney is better off holding the movie for another year than going this route. The movie will be pirated beyond measure. This is the type of movie you float out into theaters now to allow people to slowly trickle back into the theater gatherings. You aren’t seeing a profit back from your $200+ mil movie either way but it sets the platform for the dozens of other Disney and Marvel films to come back to theaters strong and reinvigorate the blockbuster movie experience we were seeing in spades from Disney pre Covid. Instead you’ve set the precedent for killing movie theaters all together. This is gonna be bad...

If ten million people buy Mulan off D+, that's $300 million that goes straight to the Mouse and they don't have to split with theaters.

Disney is better off holding the movie for another year than going this route. The movie will be pirated beyond measure. This is the type of movie you float out into theaters now to allow people to slowly trickle back into the theater gatherings. You aren’t seeing a profit back from your $200+ mil movie either way but it sets the platform for the dozens of other Disney and Marvel films to come back to theaters strong and reinvigorate the blockbuster movie experience we were seeing in spades from Disney pre Covid. Instead you’ve set the precedent for killing movie theaters all together. This is gonna be bad...

What do these motion picture companies do then? Lose out on major revenue for a whole year? I’m sure they had a plan, projections, etc.

People are home. Streaming has to be the future.

Disney has to be hurting from theme park revenue and no motion pictures.

What do these motion picture companies do then? Lose out on major revenue for a whole year? I’m sure they had a plan, projections, etc.

People are home. Streaming has to be the future.

Disney has to be hurting from theme park revenue and no motion pictures.

Disney had 7-8 films last year that grossed over a billion dollars. One of them is the highest grossing film ever made. A year of revenue loss though far from the marketing ideal won’t kill them in the least especially when everyone is taking a loss. What Disney should do is stagger the release of films where movies can be seen slowly and look toward the future. They have control of Spider-Man, the Avengers and Star Wars. What is really a loss to them that isn’t going to be recouped in 1 fiscal quarter this time next year? Have the powers that be create more content that’s meant to be for D+ as opposed to forcing consumers hands. My co-pharmacist literally left for Disney world today ironically The world is slowly opening back up and people are eager to get back to a sense of normalcy. I would imagine movies are part of those recreational activity. Mulan could’ve waited and if the idea falls on its face which it has a good chance of doing with an additional price point of $30 on a $6-$12 a month streaming service, they’ll realize it could have waited as well. Either way the loss is happening but you’ll have at least reinvested into the status quo. This is uncharted waters we’re in now.

Yeah it’s interesting to see how the long-term reception is going to be to this. Immediate reaction is better than I thought because news of 60 million D+ subscribers and Mulan streaming led to 10% jump in Disney shares today, despite the $5B loss in revenue. I agree with you though lamekilla lamekilla , Disney been winning for so long now with MCU, Star Wars, & other properties grossing billions that it could take an L like this and still gamble.

Still a little high but I think people would have gladly paid $19.99. $30 just looks like too much

Disney+ Has Reached 5-Year Global Subscribers Goal Just Eight Months After Launching

The Walt Disney Company Chief Executive Officer Bob Chapek confirmed that Disney+ currently has 60.5 million subscribers. Why is that a big deal? Disney initially expected to achieve between 60 million - 90 million subscribers by 2024, so the streamer is well ahead of schedule and far exceeding those early estimates.

"Despite the ongoing challenges of the pandemic, we’ve continued to build on the incredible success of Disney+ as we grow our global direct-to-consumer businesses," Chapek said. "The global reach of our full portfolio of direct-to-consumer services now exceeds an astounding 100 million paid subscriptions -- a significant milestone and a reaffirmation of our DTC strategy, which we view as key to the future growth of our company."

I'll concede if wrong but someone walk me through the Mulan in feudal Japan story where she doesn't pretend to be male that makes sense.

shouldve just offered like a 3 month subscription (new subs) to go with the movie
up the sub #'s for shareholders plus get direct revenue for the movie

60 million. Wow. That was a conservative estimate.

They really could explode if they exploit marquee Disney features, Marvel TV universe, more Star Wars and possibly some Fox stuff for adults.

Back
Top Bottom