***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Rashida is a muslim
Radical liberal Muslim
1611622745197.gif

Can someone explain to me what a filibuster is and what’s going on with dems relinquishing power? I thought they could just pass whatever now that they had the senate house and presidency.
From what I recall and assuming I understood correctly:

It has to do with the Senate cloture rule. In order to end debate on a proposal, the cloture rule requires 60 senators to approve ending the debate. As you can probably imagine, failing to meet that threshold can result in the opposition party using absolutely every single second of 'debating' to delay, delay and delay, all in hopes of blocking a proposal. That virtually endless delaying (figuratively speaking) is what is known as the filibuster, a measure to delay/block legislation using the Senate cloture rule.

Someone please fact-check this for me, the above is just what popped in my head. I could be wrong in every single aspect for all I know.
RustyShackleford RustyShackleford

Last edited:
Can someone explain to me what a filibuster is and what’s going on with dems relinquishing power? I thought they could just pass whatever now that they had the senate house and presidency.
Filibuster in place requires a 2/3rd vote for legislation to pass in the Senate. A Good explainer below

Edit:

This also makes sense

mjlol.png

From what I recall and assuming I understood correctly:

It has to do with the Senate cloture rule. In order to end debate on a proposal, the cloture rule requires 60 senators to approve ending the debate. As you can probably imagine, failing to meet that threshold can result in the opposition party using absolutely every single second of 'debating' to delay, delay and delay, all in hopes of blocking a proposal. That virtually endless delaying (figuratively speaking) is what is known as the filibuster, a measure to delay/block legislation using the Senate cloture rule.

Someone please fact-check this for me, the above is just what popped in my head. I could be wrong in every single aspect for all I know.
RustyShackleford RustyShackleford
Yeah that is pretty much it

They even more messed up part now is that it has gotten so out of whack that people don't actually have to filibuster a bill, just the threat of it kills everything.

Not to make light of you guys' situation with the US Congress but gridlock doesn't even begin to describe what Belgium goes through every single election. We took the world record for longest time without a functioning government (500+ days) not once but twice.
First we took the record from an Iraq torn by a gruesome war and violent clashes between factions. The second time we took the record from none other than ourselves. Even for quite a while during the covid pandemic we couldn't get out **** together and form a government.

If you think your government gridlock situations are embarrassing, rest assured Belgium is here to lower the bar all the way down.
I've always enjoyed your updates from across the Atlantic. This is the political thread after all, not the US politics thread.

Filibuster in place requires a 2/3rd vote for legislation to pass in the Senate. A Good explainer below

Edit:

This also makes sense

mjlol.png

This is the best explanation. Except, thanks to the new rules, you don't even need to be on the phone. You just have to threaten to not order the pizzas, and all the other senators will be, like, "WELP, I guess this bill is dead". Have fun eating steamed broccoli. I'm down with the filibuster AS LONG AS YOU STAND THERE AND DELIVER IT CONTINUOUSLY. No bathroom breaks, no water bottles, no nothing. None of this threatening to filibuster nonsense. If you can't read all of War & Peace in one sitting, that's on you. They can read the 1975 copy of the Encylopedia Britannica to hold up everything, but they get to take a pee break every nine pages if they want.

Be mad at the god Joey Manchin if you want but he's the last democratic senator from west virginia.

and all these old timey senators romanticize the filibuster.

kyrsten sinema's attitude is much more perplexing,
you not that old, you aint been in the senate that long. why are you so obsessed with the filibuster? :lol:

Be mad at the god Joey Manchin if you want but he's the last democratic senator from west virginia.

and all these old timey senators romanticize the filibuster.

kyrsten sinema's attitude is much more perplexing,
you not that old, you aint been in the senate that long. why are you so obsessed with the filibuster? :lol:
The weird thing is that they not even open to some good ole fashion schemin and scamming

Like what does your state need so it can be jumping. New highways, a water project, you want unlimited Louie V. for life, universal off-white sneakers, what?

How the hell are you not trying to run the Treasury's pockets right now for that filibuster vote.

Last edited:
Not to make light of you guys' situation with the US Congress but gridlock doesn't even begin to describe what Belgium goes through every single election. We took the world record for longest time without a functioning government (500+ days) not once but twice.
First we took the record from an Iraq torn by a gruesome war and violent clashes between factions. The second time we took the record from none other than ourselves. Even for quite a while during the covid pandemic we couldn't get out **** together and form a government.

If you think your government gridlock situations are embarrassing, rest assured Belgium is here to lower the bar all the way down.

We need examples like this when everyone including politicians tries to tout Europe as the economic model we all should follow.

This debacle turning into the never ending Superbowl.

I got many views on this situation, that i could write an essay about

But to keep it light, note how after Obeezy and his replacement Roland Burns left the Senate, not a follicle on a black man's head has seen the Senate floor

Makes me wonder if I were born in this country, maybe I could have made it

I'd vote for you so long as you were a conservative and married Tomi.

Back
Top Bottom