***Official Political Discussion Thread***

So, who's gonna ask them about their foreign policy platform?
SmartSelect_20220224-081639_Chrome.jpg

20220222_204254.jpg

Last edited:
I really don't understand Trump sometimes

Mans is coming real close to snitching on himself

He is sounding like he and Putin had an agreement about this for a while.
mans learned this from vince mcmahon
1645714362429.png

Living in Russia seems like having Tony Soprano as the president of your country,

Greatest athlete Russia ever produced
and you still gotta worry about Putin coming for your grandma?
reminds me of that dr from the Icarus documentary regarding the russian doping scandal
2 other dr's who worked in that lab during all that, died of "heart" issues during the scandal
the dr fled over here and is now in WP, left his wife and kids out there in Russia....no clue what happened to them after the doc was released

How is this any different than when we tried to go into Cuba? Im not a geopolitical expert by any means but this invasion seems to be a logical conclusion of trying to set up military installations/weatern backed govts near russian borders. I mean, if mexico decided to ally itself with russia we'd be in there so fast and wouldn't give a dam what the world thought of it, sanctions or anything. Theres three sides to every story and watching american media the past couple weeks, we're really only getting one side.

How is this any different than when we tried to go into Cuba? Im not a geopolitical expert by any means but this invasion seems to be a logical conclusion of trying to set up military installations/weatern backed govts near russian borders. I mean, if mexico decided to ally itself with russia we'd be in there so fast and wouldn't give a dam what the world thought of it, sanctions or anything. Theres three sides to every story and watching american media the past couple weeks, we're really only getting one side.

NATO is a treaty of joint defense against an outside attack. It's not a military alliance intended to acquire territory. NATO expansion poses no threat whatsoever to Russian sovereignty, and no risk of invasion of Russian territory

The only way NATO expansion is a threat to Russia is if Russia harbors ambitions of expanding its territory by invading or annexing other sovereign nations to itself, which it obviously does. In other words - the problem isn't NATO expansion, the problem is and always has been Putin's Russia and his desire to expand Russia by conquering other countries

The idea that Putin was somehow backed into a corner by NATO and had no choice other than to invade Ukraine is ridiculous. Putin willfully rejects democracy because he is an autocratic tyrant. A free Ukraine poses no threat to Russia; it's just a toy he wants for himself. This invasion is on him and him alone

NATO is a treaty of joint defense against an outside attack. It's not a military alliance intended to acquire territory. NATO expansion poses no threat whatsoever to Russian sovereignty, and no risk of invasion of Russian territory

The only way NATO expansion is a threat to Russia is if Russia harbors ambitions of expanding its territory by invading or annexing other sovereign nations to itself, which it obviously does. In other words - the problem isn't NATO expansion, the problem is and always has been Putin's Russia and his desire to expand Russia by conquering other countries

The idea that Putin was somehow backed into a corner by NATO and had no choice other than to invade Ukraine is ridiculous. Putin willfully rejects democracy because he is an autocratic tyrant. A free Ukraine poses no threat to Russia; it's just a toy he wants for himself. This invasion is on him and him alone

I wasnt really talking about nato, but correct me if I'm wrong, wasnt there a precedent set in kosovo/serbia thats counter to your argument?

Nato or not, US military installations, or western backed Ukranian installations on russias borders shouldn't be perceived as a threat? To my point, did Cubas alliance with the communists threaten US sovereignty?

You speak of sovereignty and democracy, but wasnt the govt in western ukraine established via coup? And didnt the US fund or otherwise provoke that instability as they have done countless times across the globe for decades?

Why are republicans doing what they do in spite of what polling saying what the majority of Americans want?

I think the Russian army murdering Ukrainian cousins for totally made up reasons

Is a bit different than unpopular republican tax cuts or whatever.

You speak of sovereignty and democracy, but wasnt the govt in western ukraine established via coup?

More context around the question of US "support" of the revolution.

BTW, that sub is actively moderated (but not as moderated as r/askhistorians), especially during quiet times, so the info you find there might be biased one way or another, but it's generally accurate.

I think the Russian army murdering Ukrainian cousins for totally made up reasons

Is a bit different than unpopular republican tax cuts or whatever.

did you see what abbott just did in texas? the stuff being done in florida?

shhh is a whole lot bigger than tax cuts

it's all power moves i dont really get

Back
Top Bottom