***Official Political Discussion Thread***

This article about some striking UAE workers made me want to laugh and scream at the same time...

He wasn’t supporting Biden or Trump at the moment, and he didn’t think either party was truly on autoworkers’ side.

“They’re all full of ****,” Butler said.We haven’t had a president in there for years, with the exception of Trump, that was really for the people, all the way back to the Reagan days.”

“Historically, man, if you didn’t vote Democrat years ago, and you were in the union, sometimes you got your *** kicked,” he said. “Democrats were for the working people. That **** has changed. I’m telling you what, the Democratic Party was not what it was 20, 30 years ago.”

And there was Dave Johnson, a 64-year-old union committeeman. At 3 p.m, he had gone home to prepare for a strike. His wife was sick. He’d made her chicken noodle soup, and he ordered a pie from the local Pizza King — the one he brought to the union hall for others.

Johnson didn’t vote for Biden in 2020. And he won’t be voting for him next year.

“Terrible,” he said. “Can’t remember his own name. It needs to be someone else besides those two guys. I’d vote for Obama.”

UAW central beef with Biden seems to be in real bad faith, and really exposes how fragile Democratic coalitions are.

Last edited:
Whenever I have voiced my opinion here and with my progressive friend group, someone always takes issue

But this UAW strike and the dynamics at play for the Democrats is the reason I think more union membership would be good for the Democratic Party

But it is not a panacea for their issue with the white working class in the midwest

As long as you have unions where white men have so much influence, they are gonna embed their cultural politics within the pro-union message and will feel aggrieved at anything Dems do that doesn't put them first.

Police unions are an example of this ideology taken to the extreme

Last edited:
The rumor on the internet is that he's a democrat though...

Couldn't find any proof of that...
Conservative media found the dude and apparently, he is a registered Dem, and hosts drag shows at his bar

MTG was also cheating on her ex-husband with a Democrat

If there is one thing a liberal dude will work with someone from across the aisle on, is getting some yambs

I hope he pushes this one of the campaign trail. Easy way to lose support across businesses and immigrants of the professional class
There is a near consensus building that increasing the cap on those visas would be good for the economy

Yet, that bozo, who has used the program, thinks it is a great idea to end it

I swear, Vivek could probably make another billion if he opens up a manure business

Because mans is great at pushing bull****

More union membership would be good for the whole country, not just the Democratic Party. Who wouldn’t want to regulate their work place?

If you’re a union member and don’t like Biden I get that. But to think trump and ragean were better is insane. :lol:

The single biggest thing dems could do for unions is ban right to work in 50 states. That’s a big reason wages are so low in conservative states.

Last edited:
More union membership would be good for the whole country, not just the Democratic Party. Who wouldn’t want to regulate their work place?

If you’re a union member and don’t like Biden I get that. But to think trump and ragean were better is insane. :lol:

You forgot why they are saying that but it has 2 words that start with W and P.

You forgot why they are saying that but it has 2 words that start with W and P.

Probably. Union membership also doesn’t really correlate to who you vote for anymore either.

A pipeliner isn’t voting Biden and a public school teacher isn’t voting trump.

Depends on the union

The single biggest thing dems could do for unions is ban right to work in 50 states. That’s a big reason wages are so low in conservative states.

UAW members are mad at Biden because of the electric car incentives that leadership feels are going be used to move jobs from unionized areas to union-hostile states

The thing is, the leadership of the UAW is not being honest with themselves

The reason this is an issue is because working-class white people vote for conservatives in these states. Even after they make their lives worse economically, they still vote for them.

The reason so many organizing campaigns for unions have failed in the South is that white people turn against unions once they find out black workers are for it.

Worker solidity gets overpowered by white supremacy. That is why want incentives to make manufacturers build in union-friendly areas. They have to know that making organizing easier isn't their only problem. It probably isn't the main one.

So white guys get to tell themselves comfortable stories about how the Dems are not looking out for them. But it isn't really just about the economics.

Last edited:
For union memberships I meant trade unions and basically anyone but police. F cops.

You know the funny thing about the EV stuff? Ames from MN is going all the dirt work for a battery plant in the Carolina’s right now. Biggest earth moving project EVER. It’s union and they are hiring people on the spot down there, I know a few people on that job.

Old white dudes you aren’t gonna help, we just gotta wait for them to die off I guess.

Not all the trades are some good ol boys white club though, I’m sure you know that but a lot of people just don’t like Biden for whatever reason. The refinery I do a lot of work in is probably the most diverse job. 100% union, none of those guys are voting Biden.

If the union is afraid of jobs moving south they aren’t going to care why they are right to work states, they just aren’t going to want the jobs to move. The union wants to keep members in its local. They aren’t going to care why the south is hostile, just that their membership will shrink.

They need to make it easier to organize, people already organized aren’t really worried about killing the union, only the jobs.

For union memberships I meant trade unions and basically anyone but police. F cops.

You know the funny thing about the EV stuff? Ames from MN is going all the dirt work for a battery plant in the Carolina’s right now. Biggest earth moving project EVER. It’s union and they are hiring people on the spot down there, I know a few people on that job.

Old white dudes you aren’t gonna help, we just gotta wait for them to die off I guess.

Old white dudes are not going anywhere

They structurally have the most political power in the country.

Not all the trades are some good ol boys white club though, I’m sure you know that but a lot of people just don’t like Biden for whatever reason. The refinery I do a lot of work in is probably the most diverse job. 100% union, none of those guys are voting Biden.

If the union is afraid of jobs moving south they aren’t going to care why they are right to work states, they just aren’t going to want the jobs to move. The union wants to keep members in its local. They aren’t going to care why the south is hostile, just that their membership will shrink.

UAW is a multi-state union

I think if they could unionize a factory no matter where it was put, they wouldn't have this big of an issue about the electric car thing.

They need to make it easier to organize, people already organized aren’t really worried about killing the union, only the jobs.

This is exactly what the UAW is scared of. The jobs aren't going away, they are relocating, and in turn, it is killing the union because the union can't convince enough Southern white people to support the union.

No union in their right mind is going to want their jobs shipped off to right to work states man. :lol:

they need to worry about their members now, not the ones in the future. If they aren’t fighting to keep their jobs open it’s a bad union.

You can’t just tell people your job is done but don’t worry you can move to South Carolina and work, by the way their politicians are hostile towards unions because racism.

That’s not how a union does business, you don’t want anything relocated. Only expanding.

No union in their right mind is going to want their jobs shipped off to right to work states man. :lol:

they need to worry about their members now, not the ones in the future. If they aren’t fighting to keep their jobs open it’s a bad union.

You can’t just tell people your job is done but don’t worry you can move to South Carolina and work, by the way their politicians are hostile towards unions because racism.

That’s not how a union does business, you don’t want anything relocated. Only expanding.

-Dude, Mitch McConnell came into office as a pro-union moderate. So did Lindsay Graham

Nevada is a right-to-work state, but the union's presence makes Republicans not openly hostile to unions

I am saying that it isn't only right to work. Union campaigns fall all the time in the South because of white people's hostility to being in union with black people

If you changed the laws, that would still be an issue for the UAW. That is it.

It is not just about the future. I am saying this is an issue because of the past also.

-Secondly, the economics doesn't make sense. All else being equal, manufacturers would prefer to build in the same location. So if they felt they could unionize anywhere, this wouldn't be an issue.

I support unions because it gives workers more market power in the labor market and more bargaining power in the workplace

I don't support a union's rent-seeking behavior just because it is from a union

For some ****, for the greater good, you gotta go against a certain union's interest

Biden's policy around electric cars was a net positive given the situation we are in.

The fact the UAW President is pissed at Biden, yet seemingly cool with people that voted for the law, tells me something else it going on here.

Back
Top Bottom