***Official Political Discussion Thread***

You agreed previously when I talked about Coates saying that he felt more unsafe in Israel than anywhere else he’s ever been in the world — and he was talking about a trip that he took pre-Oct 7. What you describe below isn’t safety. It seems like you agree. And heightening antisemitism absolutely isn’t increasing that “safety”. Antisemitism didn’t start being out in the open post- Oct 7. It’s been on the rise for years.

I said Israel is overprotective in the way they operate. Questioning randos, checkpoint stops, etc. You do feel on edge there because something can happen in a large crowd at any time. Kinda like here in certain states. The citizens there got used to this feeling.

Hell, a week after I left someone left a bomb in a garbage can at the bus stop nearest our Airbnb.

Even with all this, it was still considered "safer" than years past. A lot of was because of Bibi. A lot don't agree with his extremist views, and still don't, but they felt "safer" with him because the country wasn't at war for a long time and the suicide bombings stopped during his second tenure.

Israelis 100% felt safer with Bibi, it was their way of convincing themselves "ok he's not that bad because at least we're not at war" That all changed now though.

You're right antisemitism has been on the rise, and so has racism in general in this country really, but antisemitism now is a lot more out in the open than it has been since my family came to this country.

Biden won by 2-4% and electorally close, unfortunately I think Trump flips those that were close to begin with (Arizona, Georgia, etc.).

Vivek Ramaswamy is an unserious scammer that says dumb **** and hopes people are not informed or intelligent enough to realize how stupid he sounds.

The world would be a better place if people like him have zero power.

Anytime someone digs into anything he says, they quickly expose his bull****. And when challenged, he reacts like a petulant child.

Vivek is what dumb people think smart people sound like. To take it a step further, it's the culture of "hey, I'm just asking questions, man!"

Except, the questions are stupid, and the people who follow Vivek are the people who can't think for themselves.

Yeah, generally I think he’s done a lot of good work and it’s clearly a competent administration - but the full-throated support of Israel jarred with me.
I was a bit surprised by how forceful the comments and support was but generally I think that sentiment is to be expected from a US president. Just to be clear, I'm not justifying anything here. Israel is one of the US' strongest allies and even with some war crimes along the way I don't see that fundamentally changing.

The comments were insane to me, I get you’re the president but to bury your head in the sand and say some dumb **** like “I don’t recall any Palestinian deaths” or whatever he said was nuts.

It’s not the old days, our country is a mess we’re not trying to fund genocide and war.

I mean, that doesn’t take away from his point that they got raises this year as well.

It does take away, he's obviously implying they are cutting everything else and not cutting police.

That's not true.

Salaries are collectively bargained.

The hiring isn't, so if you need to make cuts, it's way easier to do via hiring cuts than renegotiating salaries with the union.

The reality is police are getting big cuts as like everything else. Including cuts to overtime I believe.
Good that the total number of police is dropping though.

we shall see, I imagine NYC residents of high crime neighborhoods might disagree.

YMMV but I actually think Biden's a pretty solid president.

All things considered, sure.

However, on this particular issue, he'll have to do more than this. Under the current status quo, Israel is still gaining land at the expense of Palestine, and under the right circumstances, Israel could be led by one of those fools who believes that greater Israel actually extends from the Euphrates to the Nile. Ain't no containing the mess this is going to cause in the region, especially after the precedent that conquering Mandatory Palestine would represent.

1700408780577.png

Yeah, this is Smodrich, illegal West Bank settler and current Israeli finance minister.

All things considered, sure.

However, on this particular issue, he'll have to do more than this. Under the current status quo, Israel is still gaining land at the expense of Palestine, and under the right circumstances, Israel could be led by one of those fools who believes that greater Israel actually extends from the Euphrates to the Nile. Ain't no containing the mess this is going to cause in the region, especially after the precedent that conquering Mandatory Palestine would represent.

1700408780577.png

Yeah, this is Smodrich, illegal West Bank settler and current Israeli finance minister.

Sure, but what exactly do you want Joe to do about this?

IMO he's doing a relatively good job walking a very fine line of still supporting Israel
while pushing them to be more humane.

Ultimately Im gunna trust Joe on this, if nothing else he's shown himself to be a very adept negotiator.
and I think his calculation that being very publicly supportive of Isreal will give the US more influence over the situation has been correct.

Biden won by 2-4% and electorally close, unfortunately I think Trump flips those that were close to begin with (Arizona, Georgia, etc.).
He flips them if we don’t do what we need to do. People forget that Trump won those states in 2016 by extremely small margins and that was with juicing his turnout to historical levels and many of us staying home. I would argue that the pandemic hurt Joe’s GOTV efforts because of less door to door so that will help. Simply put, if we vote we win. If we realize that Trump is not great and that a vote for anyone other than Biden is a vote for Trump, we win. When the Biden reelection machine starts putting out attack ads on Trump, the polls will normalize. If we combat ignorance in our own circles, we win.

It will be close bout I doubt GA flips back..That state is full steam ahead on turning blue, that’s why the Republicans there be trying all the lil slick **** to stop that momentum knowing they fighting a losing battle …They sat back and let the ATL metro become too big to control

It will be close bout I doubt GA flips back..That state is full steam ahead on turning blue, that’s why the Republicans there be trying all the lil slick **** to stop that momentum knowing they fighting a losing battle …They sat back and let the ATL metro become too big to control

I don’t think it’s fast enough but even if it is. People need to organize in Atlanta and get people to go out and vote again. We can’t be complacent.

As if the cops did much to stop crime in the poorer neighborhoods. They just showed up to clean things up afterwards. Neighborhood policing died in the mid 00s here because it didn’t bring in “stats”. This is a quote from police office who attends a family bbq regularly.

Those people are being failed in so many different ways. Police surveillance state ain’t the answer.
High crime areas are still the same regardless of how many officers are around…But yo believes that giving more funding and having more police around would magically make a broken law enforcement system better so that’s why he on that type of time

He has little to no experience actually living or being around those places but will cite a poll or article to try to prove more is better for police in a country he doesn’t even live in

Back
Top Bottom