***Official Political Discussion Thread***

As if the cops did much to stop crime in the poorer neighborhoods. They just showed up to clean things up afterwards. Neighborhood policing died in the mid 00s here because it didn’t bring in “stats”. This is a quote from police office who attends a family bbq regularly.

You can believe this if you want to, but police presence reducing crime (specifically patrols) is very well founded and has been replicated in multiple studies.

The question is whether it's worth it interns of police misconduct, harrassment and social cost.

We can all reach different conclusions on the cost benefit analysis, but pretending that police don't reduce crime I think is not factual and not productive.

There is different types of cops. Minneapolis cops are scum. No way around it.

St. Paul police get trained different, are approachable and generally will be pretty decent cops.

You put mpd all over and you’re gonna end up with lawsuit after lawsuit and hella misconduct.

St. Paul cops are all over and they are fine.

1700420857098.png

High crime areas are still the same regardless of how many officers are around…But yo believes that giving more funding and having more police around would magically make a broken law enforcement system better so that’s why he on that type of time

He has little to no experience actually living or being around those places but will cite a poll or article to try to prove more is better for police in a country he doesn’t even live in
Police presence is already heavy in bad neighborhoods and they don't prevent crime, only respond to it. When I lived in a bad neighborhood, saw cops all day down to being followed by them, never felt any safer and it didn't stop things that's been rolling. Live in a good neighborhood and I might see a cop once every other week, never really feel unsafe. Police are a factor in this stuff but they're given too big a role in it.

Wait until Trump’s campaign is in full steam next year. When he’s more in the spotlight. Assuming he’s not behind bars. People will remember what a ****show those 4 years were. :smh:

You can believe this if you want to, but police presence reducing crime (specifically patrols) is very well founded and has been replicated in multiple studies.

The question is whether it's worth it interns of police misconduct, harrassment and social cost.

We can all reach different conclusions on the cost benefit analysis, but pretending that police don't reduce crime I think is not factual and not productive.

Bro. Problem is they don’t patrol anymore like they did in the early to mid 00s and late 90s.

Sure, but what exactly do you want Joe to do about this?

IMO he's doing a relatively good job walking a very fine line of still supporting Israel
while pushing them to be more humane.

You just posted an example of what the US CAN do, especially after recently granting visa-free travel to the US to Israeli citizens.

The U.S. Census lumps Arab Americans into the white population, which “erases” the many particular challenges this community faces, says Rima Meroueh, director of the National Network of Arab American Communities. With roots in 22 different countries, from Egypt to Lebanon to Sudan, the Arab and Arabic-speaking populations in Michigan are not a monolith; their experiences, beliefs and problems vary based on gender, age, national origin and many other factors. Nor have they remained politically static over time. In 2000, Arab Americans made up a reliably Republican constituency, but shifted to voting Democrat in the post 9-11 years. In 2020, 74 percent of Arab Americans held a favorable view of Biden. Dearborn matched that share with 74 percent of voters casting ballots for Biden in the last presidential election.

While complexity is an inherent characteristic of the area, the issue of Palestinian rights is a grand unifier for Arab Americans here. An Arab American Institute poll from earlier this year found that when it came to U.S.-Arab relations, the issue of Palestinian rights was the most cited concern among younger Arab Americans (18-49 years old). Older generations (50 years old and above) tended to cite humanitarian crises in Syria and Lebanon. After October 7, however, both older and younger Arab Americans in Dearborn seem aligned.

Immediately after October 7, public rallies in the area showed a stark split between Arab and Jewish enclaves. As Niraj Warikoo reported in the Detroit Free Press: “In Dearborn, speakers focused on decades of suffering among Palestinians and ripped into politicians for supporting the right-wing Israeli government, while in Southfield, the focus was on the suffering of Israelis as speakers described the opposition as evil.”

What has since become a bone of contention for the Arab Americans is that local and federal elected officials, including Sen. Gary Peters (D-Mich.) and Gretchen Whitmer, Michigan’s Democratic governor, attended only the Southfield gathering. Locals note these politicians danced with the synagogue congregants but no such public displays of attention or solidarity were showered on the Arab American community, which is also grieving. This resentment grew over time. The governor was scheduled to speak at a private charity event at a Dearborn clinic on October 29, but canceled. Later, Whitmer released a statement saying her attendance “would have distracted” from the event’s mission. Instead, she said, she is focusing on working with Congress to “bring families stuck in Gaza back home to Michigan.”

One former senior defense official, also granted anonymity to detail sensitive discussions, said it is “unlikely” the administration will put conditions on its aid to Israel.

“It’s very difficult to condition military aid because how would you guarantee it and how would you construct it? Especially in this instance, we’re not in a position to really instruct a friend and an ally,” the former official said. “Suggest to them, yes. Urge them, yes, but not necessarily condition our aid. I think that would be a bridge too far.”

But the Biden administration has faced mounting pressure over the past week to respond to Israel’s actions — namely its operation at Gaza’s largest hospital, Shifa — as doctors claim their patients, including newborn babies, are at risk of dying.

Some of that pressure is coming from U.S. allies. Alicia Kearns, a conservative British member of parliament and chair of the Foreign Affairs Select Committee, said “it’s absolutely vital that there have to be restrictions” on future military aid to Israel, noting the high rate of civilian casualties when Israel strikes a Hamas target.

Hard to say whether any of this is going to help Biden in Nov...

You just posted an example of what the US CAN do, especially after recently granting visa-free travel to the US to Israeli citizens.
so the thing you think he could do...he's in the process of doing?

again, the Biden logic is being publicly supportive and bear hugging them at the start of the conflict would buy them credibility influence later on.

this strategy imo seems to be bearing fruit so far.

If on October 8th or whatever he announced sanctions on the west bank that totally would nuke that strategy.

now you can disagree with this strategy but again, Biden when it comes to negotiation seems to consistently out perform media estimation of him.

So im inclined to trust his judgment. Especially given that Obama was much more confrontational and got basically nothing out of it.

Hard to say whether any of this is going to help Biden in Nov...

so the contention here is that Arab Americans are going to then turn to....Trump and the Republican party?

color me skeptical.

That’s how everyone feels though, we can get back to murdering and policing the world when we clean up our own country.

That’s how everyone feels though, we can get back to murdering and policing the world when we clean up our own country.

The his is like having a conversation about the US and the necessity to have soft power across the world. Your common person doesn’t understand the need for it until it’s gone and you actually need it.

I’ve tried to have conversations with people how it was disappearing with people during the Trump years and they dismissed me. Instead of holding the republicans accountable to destroying revenue collection by unnecessarily lowering taxes which increases the deficit. But you know it’s always the quick unintelligent takes that make the biggest impact.

Dude, Joe Biden is not in control of city budgets. If everyone believes that, then everyone doesn't understand basic civics.

Furthermore, Biden's first major bill in office was showering money on state governments. As it turns out, money that states ended up not needing. And Biden has fought to avoid austerity measures.

Cardi's beef first should be with the state of New York if she wants more city funding.

And she as a Hispanic woman, the daughter of immigrants from my understanding, so she better be careful, because one of the things squeezing NYC budgets is the influx of refugees from Latin America.

Does cleaning up the country involve kicking them out? I doubt she would be quick to say that.

Secondly, one of the wars we fund is helping Ukraine push back on an invasion. I don't know why so many progressives are on the "set us sell out Ukraine" train. Like doing so is some magic bullet to making the GOP agree to social democracy.

People can have their opinions. That doesn't mean everyone else has to nod all with the clearly wrong and silly arguments.

Her sounding ignorant undercut her argument too.

I’m not saying it’s right but that just how people feel.

You got dope fiends sleeping on the corner you’re not gonna be stoked we’re funding wars. I can’t blame anyone.

Dude, Joe Biden is not in control of city budgets. If everyone believes that, then everyone doesn't understand basic civics.

Furthermore, Biden's first major bill in office was showering money on state governments. As it turns out, money that states ended up not needing.

And she as a Hispanic woman, the daughter of immigrants from my understanding, better be careful, because one of the things squeezing NYC budgets is the influx of refugees from Latin America.

Does cleaning up the country involve kicking them out?

Secondly, one of the wars we fund is helping Ukraine push back on an invasion. I don't know why so many progressives are on the "set us sell out Ukraine" train. Like doing so is some magic bullet to making the GOP agree to social democracy.

People can have their opinions. That doesn't mean everyone else has to nod all with the clearly wrong and silly arguments.

Her sounding ignorant undercut her argument too.

Why you preaching to me? You act like the majority of people don’t feel the same as her.

Why you preaching to me? You act like the majority of people don’t feel the same as her.
You responded to my post. I am responding to you

I don't care how people feel, I am talking about observable reality

I have said a million times in here people can feel how they want. I, and no one else, have to entertain their hot takes

Back
Top Bottom