***Official Political Discussion Thread***

I applaud you and your parents success. Truly I do. It's always good to hear stories like that.

I don't ignore and discount disenfranchisement. I just wonder aloud why people don't do more to supplement themselves when the government aid or racist policy is in effect. It seems to me that there's the idea that's been pervading people that if the government doesn't step in and you need help then your suddenly absolved of all blame.

I highlight steps and actions on a daily basis that can be used to elevate ones station. The realest post in here by my opposition was about lack of outreach. Maybe the things I preach are unknown unknowns. So I'd be all for my tax dollars going to concerted efforts to educate people about all the various ways I champion to be used to make them more competitive in today's world.

I applaud you and your parents success. Truly I do. It's always good to hear stories like that.

I don't ignore and discount disenfranchisement. I just wonder aloud why people don't do more to supplement themselves when the government aid or racist policy is in effect. It seems to me that there's the idea that's been pervading people that if the government doesn't step in and you need help then your suddenly absolved of all blame.

I highlight steps and actions on a daily basis that can be used to elevate ones station. The realest post in here by my opposition was about lack of outreach. Maybe the things I preach are unknown unknowns. So I'd be all for my tax dollars going to concerted efforts to educate people about all the various ways I champion to be used to make them more competitive in today's world.
The last paragraph is probly the most sensible thing u ever wrote

If you send your kid to a good school and they want to start language immersion program which is very beneficial. They may not be able to do so because the tax money is going to some other school that you have no connection to other than it just happens to be in your district.

Congrats you just played yourself and your kid lost a chance to be bilingual. Now you'll have to shell out hundreds for Rosetta Stone or a private tutor.

And some how the candian government manages to offer French immersion free of charge.

#mapletower :lol:

My parents are black. Both born poor in the Bronx and one in Jamaica. Everything I believe about how to get ahead is a testament to what I saw growing up.

does anyone care what race Rico is?

I couldn't imagine caring less.

And some how the candian government manages to offer French immersion free of charge.

#mapletower
laugh.gif

And yet somehow here in Belgium, the French-speaking south does not mandatorily learn Dutch (our native language in the north) 
mean.gif

Been that way since I was born, still the same today

My French is fairly decent because it's mandatory in the north but whenever I'm traveling to the south I just communicate in English instead 
laugh.gif
 Much more convenient

I went to a parliament session once a few years ago and it really stuck with me that many of the politicians had earpieces in because they can't understand eachother without a translator. It's pretty sad.

Last edited:

What I think you don't take into consideration is that being generationally poor, being generationally disemphranchised, and generationally black IN AMERICA all have an impact on the way poor minorities think speak and act. There's a reason crime is higher amongst those in lower classes. There's a reason out of wedlock pregnancies are higher in lower classes. People born poor don't suddenly wake up with the mindset and awareness and experiences as someone in the middle class. Add to the fact racist policies of the past disproportionately had a negative impact on these groups that limited upward socioeconomic progress for generations, and how low income areas can't provide a quality educational foundation. All of that snowballed and compacted for generations. So much so you have to realize that completely shapes how people on those situations think.

there's a difference between hard work and really hard work. i think many of us came from immigrant or minority families and it is definitely a difficult task to overcome financial, cultural, and linguistic issues. however, it is nothing at all compared to growing up in a broken home where violence and drug use are everywhere around you, where the infrastructure from roads to schools has become completely rundown, where you have no role models among your friends to know what success looks like.

sure, there will be the occasional person who makes it, but think of how many more could make it as successful contributors to society if a little more was invested.

this isn't just an issue of fairness and justice but also a selfish issue. helping more people succeed in this country ultimately benefits all of us. of course, I'm just speaking on principle here. in practice i think most would agree that we just have to find the right balance.

The GOP is really playing with fire if they're actually going through with the repeal without an alternative like it looks like. They already have the most unpopular incoming president in decades and I doubt folks are gonna be exactly happy once they lose their coverage with no alternative. You're already seeing Trump voters having buyers remorse as a result of all the repeal talk.

Dudes think it's all good now since they won recently but we've all seen how fast the pendelum can swing, they might just get what's coming to them when they're up for re-election

@GMA: Donald Trump enters office as most unpopular of at least last 7 newly-elected presidents, new ABC/WaPo poll finds: https://t.co/ulYJYjdruI https://t.co/Kjae1Btvtr

Wouldn't even be all that upset if I was a dem, it'd be a temporary L that would open the doors for some highly effective attacks on the GOP as well as turning GOP favorability/approval ratings on their heads

Last edited:
The GOP is really playing with fire if they're actually going through with the repeal without an alternative like it looks like. They already have the most unpopular incoming president in decades and I doubt folks are gonna be exactly happy once they lose their coverage with no alternative. You're already seeing Trump voters having buyers remorse as a result of all the repeal talk.

Dudes think it's all good now since they won recently but we've all seen how fast the pendelum can swing, they might just get what's coming to them when they're up for re-election
Wouldn't even be all that upset if I was a dem, it'd be a temporary L that would open the doors for some highly effective attacks on the GOP as well as turning GOP favorability/approval ratings on their heads
I wonder how many are rejoicing about the Obamacare repeal while not realizing it is the same thing as the ACA and that they're using it

Last edited:
I wonder how much Rico complained about other people's tax dollars being used for public schools, when he was attending them.

BTW, because of white flight, and red lining, the way schools are funding on the local level is very discriminatory.

That is why the Federal government tries to balance it out.

"Born smart"

Donald Trump is a god damn moron :lol:

let's be honest, by what metric are u judging him?...da man is a billionaire and just won da Presidency.

are u making da "that NBA bench warmer is a scrub but he can ICE anyone regular Joe Schmoe at a local YMCA, blacktop court in NYC" context?

Trump's success in life is not based on his genetics, it is because of his dad's money.

Trump can't speak about the American meritocracy, because he never had to take part in it.

"Born smart"

Donald Trump is a god damn moron :lol:

let's be honest, by what metric are u judging him?...da man is a billionaire and just won da Presidency.

are u making da "that NBA bench warmer is a scrub but he can ICE anyone regular Joe Schmoe at a local YMCA, blacktop court in NYC" context?

The context of thinking people are born smart. You serious right now? :lol:

Back
Top Bottom