***Official Political Discussion Thread***

At the end of the day I want all children to have a higher chance to succeed. I don't think it should depend on districts, it's not the poor kids fault and they shouldn't suffer because of where they're born with something like education. With the proper education they could change their areas eventually and we wouldn't have a need for redistributing funds.

We clearly aren't operating on the same logic. I have a kid and am empathetic to others though so I could see where the difference in thought could arise.

I agree. Education is definitely the great equalizer. But everybody isn't born equal, no matter what they preach. And many times you have to work harder to get again.

Every year we hear stories about poor kids that got perfect SAT scares, got into ivy league skills or did some other amazing thing despite socioeconomic status. It's not luck. It's hardwork and sheer force of will.

If we had to run a 400m race and judge everyone based on their ability, this is were we would all start ideally:

In reality, this where we start:

Those in the inside lanes will run a shorter distance than those on the outside, and all speeds being equal, those on the inside will win all the time.

As long as we don't reconfigure the starting blocks, all this talk about hard work is just masking the fact that access to opportunity is unbalanced.

I find it funny that on one hand, Rico advocates the use of librairies, and on the other hand, he complains about making poor schools better.

You do realize that librairies use public funds, and many of the people who advocate for the current way of funding our education system would not have a problem with less taxpayer money going to librairies outside their districts (or even in general), right?

At the end, this is another example of your "penny wise, pound foolish" approach to society.

And you still owe for that k12 education btw.

Of course I know they are publically funded. People try to use my advocating for them against me all the time. But libraries been around long before I was born and I grew up on libraries. Even now I still go. I'd fight tooth and nail if anyone in my area tried to defund or shut down a library.

If we had to run a 400m race and judge everyone based on their ability, this is were we would all start ideally:

Those in the inside lanes will run a shorter distance than those on the outside, and all speeds being equal, those on the inside will win all the time.

As long as we don't reconfigure the starting blocks, all this talk about hard work is just masking the fact that access to opportunity is unbalanced.

Im working with my first hand knowledge of my state so i admit it might not be like that elsewhere. But in texas its the case. Having libraries is one thing but letting folks know about these orograms through outreach is one of the major problems facing poor people

Like is said before its a simple solution. Like google but people dont think that simple

There is a a lot of stuff people should know but dont .

But I'm not masking the fact. I outright said everyone is not born equal, that's a simple fact of life. And because of that there will be those that have to work harder to attain the same thing.

You want me to admit that there was racism? I've never denied racism exists or existed. Our parents, grandparents, great-grandparents gotta back ******* deal. I won't revise history for rhetorical points.

However, it's 2017. There are so many avenues that we can take to counteract the effects of past racism and that's what I advocate.

Again.....you have NO problem with the government funding the suburban schools......and denying inner city schools largely due to white flight and desegregation of the 60s, 70s and 80s.

But you take issue with the government funding inner city schools b/c some rich kids won't deepen their foreign language education?

:lol:

You are a simple man. A very simple one that can't grasp "cause and effect". Your narrowminded train of thought is quite fascinating to watch.

major factor. Parking your horse in the driveway is a *****

Explain to me why black people in the 60s didn't simply "move to the suburbs" like the white people at the same time.

Surely, they had equal access to money/cars and housing back then right?

:nerd:

Compton was originally that plan and promise for that demographic (for da immediate NYC area that promise was Co-Op city)...but da point you would be better of making is moving to da suburbs for black folks wasn't da panacea they all hoped for.

At the end of the day I want all children to have a higher chance to succeed. I don't think it should depend on districts, it's not the poor kids fault and they shouldn't suffer because of where they're born with something like education. With the proper education they could change their areas eventually and we wouldn't have a need for redistributing funds.

We clearly aren't operating on the same logic. I have a kid and am empathetic to others though so I could see where the difference in thought could arise.

I agree. Education is definitely the great equalizer. But everybody isn't born equal, no matter what they preach. And many times you have to work harder to get again.

Every year we hear stories about poor kids that got perfect SAT scares, got into ivy league skills or did some other amazing thing despite socioeconomic status. It's not luck. It's hardwork and sheer force of will.

Yeah that's why better education is essential. Then more kids can make these strides, that's more future business owners in the hood, more doctors, lawyers, etc.

Every year we also hear "maybe if they had better education" in reference to poor people making a way for themselves. The tricky part is, to many of those people, if you already have the resources then you deserve them and more - but if you don't well then obviously you need to do more and try harder.

We also tend to hear these same people talk about "entitlement".

I find it funny that on one hand, Rico advocates the use of librairies, and on the other hand, he complains about making poor schools better.

You do realize that librairies use public funds, and many of the people who advocate for the current way of funding our education system would not have a problem with less taxpayer money going to librairies outside their districts (or even in general), right?

At the end, this is another example of your "penny wise, pound foolish" approach to society.

And you still owe for that k12 education btw.

Of course I know they are publically funded. People try to use my advocating for them against me all the time. But libraries been around long before I was born and I grew up on libraries. Even now I still go. I'd fight tooth and nail if anyone in my area tried to defund or shut down a library.

What if it meant your child would receive more resources? Would you still fight it?

Last edited:
The inner city schools are already title 1. They are getting public funding.

And my problem is and always will be MY money going to things I have nothing to do with. We're debating this and I don't even have kids! But it's the principle of it all that irks me.

Yeah that's why better education is essential. Then more kids can make these strides, that's more future business owners in the hood, more doctors, lawyers, etc.

Every year we also hear "maybe if they had better education" in reference to poor people making a way for themselves. The tricky part is, to many of those people, if you already have the resources then you deserve them and more - but if you don't well then obviously you need to do more and try harder.

We also tend to hear these same people talk about "entitlement".
What if it meant your child would receive more resources? Would you still fight it?

I will never deny any of this. It all makes sense. Better education. Better citizens. More prosperity. But we have to take into the account that federal funding is a tax payer investment in whatever is money is going to. Take the emotion out of it for a second if possible.

If you had the option if investing in Lower Merion or MLK High which would you choose. Regular investment rules apply. MLK is definitely riskier so would generate but Lower Merion is blue chip.

That's how us tax payers have to look at how we allow the government to spend our money. Some say that's a heartless way of looking at it but I call it shrewd and pragmatic.

I'd fight for the library. Rich or poor EVERYONE can benefit from then being around.

Last edited:

Still doesn't change the fact that government funds pay for an education system that keeps some down and while elevating some soley based on the area you can afford to live.

Last edited:
I don't know if I should feel impressed or disappointed that some of y'all continue to entertain this mess

Last edited:
B

And my problem is and always will be MY money going to things I have nothing to do with. We're debating this and I don't even have kids! But it's the principle of it all that irks me.
And some of your money is going to a good cause, attempting to provide more equal opportunities for the less fortunate.
Do you really have a problem with every taxpayer-funded program that disproportionately benefits the poor/disadvantaged rather than yourself?
Not coming at you, it is what it is but I'm just curious.

Look man you view on this is valid
And right .... But it in a part of the binge watch people havent caught up to yet

The human tester bias is whats keeping alot of people back.

Not segregation but segmentation

The people we elect to do what we want misinterpret what voters want and make blanket assumption

For example a seen a rep say well this i want from my district after meeting with the district.

Last edited:

I don't fault you for your view on this at all, I respect your opinion. I also don't agree with everything my money is used for. But I think if you are lucky (or unlucky enough, however you wanna put it lol) to have kids that some of your views may change. I know it happened to me.

Last edited:

But I'm not masking the fact. I outright said everyone is not born equal, that's a simple fact of life. And because of that there will be those that have to work harder to attain the same thing.

Yes you are. I could beat Usain Bolt if I started running 10m from the finish line while he started 100m from it, even though he is much faster than I ever could be.

That's why you reduce federal policies of the 50's and 60's to "just racism," when the situation really was that of one group gaining an economic AND social advantage over another by virtue of race with the blessing of the very institutions that were supposed to uphold equality of chances for all.

Now that that advantage is dwindling (because have fought for recognition and access to the same opportunities), you have people who are running the same "our money/tax cuts/welfare queen/moochers" playbook in an effort to keep the playing field slanted in their favor at the expense of society, and you are cheering for them.

What do you think will happen when they see more black/brown kids in libraries? If they can't move, they're going to beat the drum to keep more money in their pockets: "the books on Amazon cost 0.01 + shipping, I don't need to fund their education."

Let's keep kids that look like you and me undereducated with less opportunities than their white counterparts who were provided these opportunities......so you can enjoy a tax break.

At least you own being a true POS. I'm sure you never received not one iota of help along the way as a kid. I'd doubt you'd appreciate it.

But you are the same person who admitted that the democrats would probably help you out the most.....but you vote against that because you wanna feel like you "earned it"

Logical.

The Eurocentric worldview and white supremacy has done quite a number on you my man.

My parents are black. Both born poor in the Bronx and one in Jamaica. Everything I believe about how to get ahead is a testament to what I saw growing up.

B
And some of your money is going to a good cause, attempting to provide more equal opportunities for the less fortunate.
Do you really have a problem with every taxpayer-funded program that disproportionately benefits the poor/disadvantaged rather than yourself?
Not coming at you, it is what it is but I'm just curious.

No. I am in full support of libraries as previously stated in my previous post.

My parent are both Haitian immigrants. Both born poor. Both worked hard to make it to upper middle class and raised 3 kids, 2 college graduates, and one currently in college. I know what hard work looks like but I also understand that being generationally disemphranchised has an effect on people. And I also understand that even with my own success and my parent's success 70% of people die in the classes they're born into. Meaning the large majority of people born poor stay that way. If you want to make the generalization that all poor people just aren't hardworking than you do that. but if 70% of people born poor stay that way than that tells me clearly the bootstrap approach only works for some and not all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom