***Official Political Discussion Thread***

There is a tragedy that people seem to only be able to understand a single perspective. I'm sure most reasonable people agree that affordable healthcare, for everyone, is ideal. The issue is who should have to pay for it.

You can have health insurance, lose all your money paying a high deductible, and still lose your life to illness. It's sad.

The attitudes towards McCain in the hospital are deplorable.

the main shortcoming of the ACA and any other plans I've seen is that they don't really get at the issue of cost. the money has to come from somewhere.

what i think we should admit is the money is going to come from somewhere, regardless. even if someone is not insured, they still cost the system in many ways.

it comes down to whether the two sides can agree on any principles. if the right is not going to agree that health insurance should not be treated the same way we treat cable TV services and if they won't agree that the wealthy and healthy should at least partially subsidize health care in this country (via taxes), then i don't see hope of an agreement being reached.

if we can agree on those things, though, then we can tackle the issue of cost and access.

giphy.gif

the real tragedy is the US will never address its absurd defense spending.. it's sad that, that issue has become pretty much untouchable from either party
I don't think that is really true though

Dems and the GOP differ on defense quite a bit. It is just the pie is so huge it is hard to notice.

But no matter who is in power, defense spending will be huge, and I don't think people on the left should be that against it.

Use defense spending to fund a backdoor jobs program, instead of supercharging the US war machine to enrich big corporations.

Last edited:
What he said was dumb, but it's odd that a right wing "patriotic" type is against people being put to death for treason. Isn't that what the penalty for treason is to begin with?

My statement of the 77% being gassed was in direct correlation of how the reaction would be from them if it were a Liberal who was found guilty of collusion with an Enemy. The double standards of a Trump supporter is dumbfounding. I was merely being ironic, but apparently my reply didn't execute that properly.

That is not really true.

Dems and the GOP differ on defense quite a bit. It is just the pie is so huge it is hard to notice.

But no matter who is in power, defense spending will be huge, and I don't think people on the left should be that against it.

Use defense spending to fund a backdoor jobs program, instead of supercharging the US war machine to enrich big corporations.

Modernizing the electric grid (and its communication infrastructure); repairing highways and bridges; investing in the cyber security of our water, electric network could all fall under defense spending IMO.

But you already pay significantly more for healthcare than those of us in other countries with actual good healthcare systems. Your healthcare spending per capita is significantly higher than nations with excellent healthcare that helps as many people as possible as affordable as possible.
A system can never satisfy everyone's need, but the point is making it so it satisfies the needs of as many people as possible.

Going further right from the ACA is just more hustling backwards. At the end of the day the US will still be paying significantly more for the worst healthcare system amongst the top western nations.
I have a disability, a chronic disease with no diagnosis and my insurance premiums aren't even remotely close to the enormous amount you pay in the US.

You are right but the ACA doesn't solve the issue

the main shortcoming of the ACA and any other plans I've seen is that they don't really get at the issue of cost. the money has to come from somewhere.

what i think we should admit is the money is going to come from somewhere, regardless. even if someone is not insured, they still cost the system in many ways.

This is what I've been saying all along. The rising cost of healthcare in America is the larger issue.

My statement of the 77% being gassed was in direct correlation of how the reaction would be from them if it were a Liberal who was found guilty of collusion with an Enemy.

According to Soviet documents unearthed in the early 1990’s, Kennedy literally asked the Soviets, avowed enemies of the U.S., to intervene on behalf of the Democratic party in the 1984 elections. Kennedy’s communist communique was so secret that it was not discovered until 1991, eight years after Kennedy had initiated his Soviet gambit:

http://thefederalist.com/2015/03/10...e-soviets-to-intervene-in-the-1984-elections/

Ted Kennedy was found colluding with da Soviets in da 80's to undermine Reagan..

article dated in 2015, way before Trump was ever considered a serious threat.

so, there goes your hypothetical analysis...heh

...no such "gassing" talk was brought up.

Back
Top Bottom