***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Cockburn, Riggleman, and Bigfoot erotica? Just when I thought Trump and his affairs was as weird as it would get in 2018....

RBG saying she has at least 5 years left in her....

coal gang headquarters:

UUq.gif

kale gang headquarters:

giphy.gif

"I told him that although the phrase 'fake news' is untrue and harmful, I am far more concerned about his labeling journalists 'the enemy of the people,'" Sulzberger said. "I warned that this inflammatory language is contributing to a rise in threats against journalists and will lead to violence."

Sulzberger said throughout their conversation he made clear that if the president had qualms with the coverage of his administration, he was "free to tell the world." But Sulzberger said he implored Trump to reconsider his attacks on journalism, which Sulzberger called "dangerous and harmful to our country."

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/29/6336...es-publisher-clash-over-their-private-meeting

every damn time

If Holder ran mostly on a lot of small donations, offered up similar economic policy ideas as Bernie and Elizabeth and ran on a fire and brimstone civil rights and social justice message, he would be formidable.

He could grab a share of the black vote, he could even win the majority of that vote and basically sink Booker and Harris. He could especially see him being able to harm Harris early on because she doesn’t have an especially good record on the criminal legal system.

I could really see him winning big with Latino voters. If he really brings the fire and talks about systemic plunder of Latino/indigenous people by the American State in its past and present, he’d get a majority of that group’s votes.

Lastly, he could even peel off a chunk of white and Asian leftists who supported Bernie in 2016. Especially for highly educated of Bernie supporters, what we want is someone will say that things are very bad, for most in this country, and that things are bad because the ruling class wants that to be the case.

If Holder does that, a part of Bernie’s 2026 voters might warm up him. A big part of Bernie’s appeal was that Bernie said that things fundamentally wrong; if someone comes along and can be even more pointed in his critiques of America, he’d have credibility. Heck, if Holder started talking about how slavery was what allowed America to industrialize and how Wall Street was literally and figuratively build by slavery, I might vote Holder 2020.

That’s a very rough analysis but I can see how Holder could assemble a coalition to win the 2020 primary.

I don't know if this is a stupid idea, but what if Trump runs in 2020 both as a Republican and a Democrat?

Win-win yes?

And they'll continue to stand by him even as he lies right to their face about agriculture and trade
https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-...ope-for-farmers-europeans-disagree-1532714117
Trump Says He ‘Opened Up Europe’ for Farmers. Europeans Disagree.
The gap over what was agreed to at the White House on Wednesday indicates the perils of rifts re-emerging
A day after President Trump hailed “a breakthrough agreement” on trade with Europe, European officials said the president and his aides are exaggerating the scope of their new pact.
While Mr. Trump told an Iowa crowd Thursday that “we just opened up Europe for you farmers,” officials in Brussels later said he did no such thing.

“On agriculture, I think we’ve been very clear on that—that agriculture is out of the scope of these discussions,” Mina Andreeva, the European Commission spokeswoman, told reporters in Brussels on Friday. “We are not negotiating about agricultural products,” added Ms. Andreeva, who was part of the European delegation visiting Washington earlier this week.
The quick emergence of a gap between the two sides over just what they agreed to at a marathon White House session Wednesday highlights the vague nature of the pact and indicates the perils of rifts re-emerging as officials attempt to flesh out the details in the coming weeks.

The agreement that Mr. Trump reached with European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker amounts to a truce in a trade dispute that has been escalating since Mr. Trump imposed tariffs on steel and aluminum imports earlier this year. Europe swiftly retaliated, and Mr. Trump then threatened even bigger import curbs on European cars.

The two leaders announced a broad agreement to launch negotiations aimed at cutting tariffs, subsidies, and non-tariff barriers affecting trans-Atlantic trade. The U.S. pledged to avoid imposing car tariffs as long as negotiations are ongoing, and both sides said they would try to find a way to lift the trade barriers they had imposed on each other in recent weeks.

Officials on both sides agree that two specific agricultural matters came up. The Europeans said they were already engaged—prior to Wednesday’s handshake at the White House—with U.S. counterparts to boost high-quality beef imports from America as part of an effort to resolve a longstanding trade dispute. And they said they would seek to buy more U.S. soybeans, a politically sensitive sector for Mr. Trump, because China has cut imports of the crop in a separate trade tiff.

But European officials say that beyond those two specific areas, they made quite clear during the White House meeting that they would not include any broader discussion of agriculture in the pending talks.

Agriculture is one of the most sensitive and difficult trade questions for Europe, especially for France, and the U.S. and Europe have fought for years over everything from European tariffs to U.S. use of hormones and genetically modified products. They say that when Trump aides tried to broaden the talks from industrial products to agriculture, they threatened to demand the U.S. drop its “Buy American” provisions for government procurement, a non-starter for the Trump administration.

The U.S. side “heavily insisted to insert the whole field of agricultural products,” Mr. Juncker told reporters right after the meeting. “We refused that because I don’t have a mandate and that’s a very sensitive issue in Europe.”

Indeed, the joint statement released by the two governments only mentions the shared goal of phasing out tariffs, subsidies and non-tariff barriers on “non-auto industrial goods.” But it does also say the agreement “will open markets for farmers and workers.”

Mr. Trump and his aides interpret that differently than their European counterparts. “Our view is that we are negotiating about agriculture, period,” U.S. Trade Representative Robert Lighthizer told a Senate committee Thursday.

Mr. Trump has strong political incentives for touting big trade gains for farmers. Farmers have been among the most vocal critics of his hardball trade policies, and been the main target of retaliatory measures from trading partners.

Agricultural trade between the U.S. and Europe totaled $32.5 billion last year, with Europe running a $9.4 billion surplus, according to U.S. government statistics.

Agriculture has always been a tricky subject in trans-Atlantic trade, with both the U.S. and the European Union seeking to protect and advance their industries. It was one of the factors that stalled negotiations on a broad trade agreement launched by President Barack Obama, alongside public procurement and other issues.

At the time, Brussels pressed Washington on geographical indications, or GIs, which protect brands for products such as Roquefort cheese and Parma ham. The U.S. dug in its heels and refused to budge in recognizing GIs that would ban American producers from branding their products with similar names.

And Europe stood its ground on genetically modified organisms, or GMOs, refusing to negotiate access for any American products that hadn’t been already approved by the EU. Consumer backlash against what Europeans consider inferior quality U.S. produce coupled with resistance by farmers concerned that big American producers would destroy small, family-owned operations made it doubly difficult for Brussels to meet Washington’s demands.

"I told him that although the phrase 'fake news' is untrue and harmful, I am far more concerned about his labeling journalists 'the enemy of the people,'" Sulzberger said. "I warned that this inflammatory language is contributing to a rise in threats against journalists and will lead to violence."

Sulzberger said throughout their conversation he made clear that if the president had qualms with the coverage of his administration, he was "free to tell the world." But Sulzberger said he implored Trump to reconsider his attacks on journalism, which Sulzberger called "dangerous and harmful to our country."

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/29/6336...es-publisher-clash-over-their-private-meeting

every damn time

Only someone telling vicious lies would villainize the truth tellers. I wish his supporters... ah what am I talking about, nvm.

And they'll continue to stand by him even as he lies right to their face about agriculture and trade
https://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-...ope-for-farmers-europeans-disagree-1532714117
Trump Says He ‘Opened Up Europe’ for Farmers. Europeans Disagree.
The gap over what was agreed to at the White House on Wednesday indicates the perils of rifts re-emerging
A day after President Trump hailed “a breakthrough agreement” on trade with Europe, European officials said the president and his aides are exaggerating the scope of their new pact.
While Mr. Trump told an Iowa crowd Thursday that “we just opened up Europe for you farmers,” officials in Brussels later said he did no such thing.

“On agriculture, I think we’ve been very clear on that—that agriculture is out of the scope of these discussions,” Mina Andreeva, the European Commission spokeswoman, told reporters in Brussels on Friday. “We are not negotiating about agricultural products,” added Ms. Andreeva, who was part of the European delegation visiting Washington earlier this week.

Europe doesn't want your GMOd crops and bleach-washed chicken anyway.

Back
Top Bottom