***Official Political Discussion Thread***

It’s an HBO miniseries spanning at least 3 seasons
House of Canards: Failed businessman Donald Trump starts out as a bumbling reality TV star seeking revenge for being humiliated by the President. Promised hacked emails in exchange for his support of Russia, he colludes his way to the presidency, where he continues his tradition of making up stories and refusing to accept evidence to the contrary.

Game of ****, Lawyers, and Litigation: this tragic comedy tells the story of the Trump clan, whose reliance on hush money and threats of lawsuits eventually catches up to them once they finally reach the Iron Throne. Full of backstabbing, incest, and religious manipulation.

The Why: a methodical exploration of American politics and how a failed businessman and B-list celebrity became president, in 5 stages: 1, the manipulation of the black vote via "what about Chicago", 2, the manipulation of the white vote via "economic anxiety", 3, the manipulation of voting machines via "states rights", 4, the manipulation of "centrist" fools via "both sides are the same," and 5, the manipulation of the fragile white vote via "but her emails" and "I don't know. maybe he was born in Kenya."

Wtf has gotten into this douchebag
dahell2.png

I'm not sure if I want to live in a world where Joe Walsh, of all people, is the voice of reason.

Old racism: black in the back of the bus.
New racism: defund regional mass transit

Old racism: segregated schools
New racism: create small public school districts and price black people out of it

Old racism: rigged literacy tests, klan at polling places
New racism: use various measures to reduce black turnout and render the entire black vote in your state into something to be ignored

Old racism: freed slaves can’t assemble in public of be out at night
New racism: stop and frisk, profiling, “quality of life arrest”

On and on it goes. It’s not like the old days, you don’t have to categorically and explicitly make non white people into second class citizens. In fact, new white supremacy rests on the fact that in theory, black people could do whatever a white person wants. You just make doing those things more expensive tiresome and risky for black folks. Those inducements at the margin then make it so that in practice black people are still second class citizens.

This is too on point. Is there a comprehensive list somewhere of all the forms of systemic racism over the years?

-The caucuses are a move in the right direction but they need to go. I hope all states do away with them all together.

-The Superdelegates are a nothing burger because they have decided nothing. I don't know why Bernie is still so hung up on them, especially considering his antics towards the end of the primary. But still, good PR for his fans
From where I'm sitting I think the concept of superdelegates serves no real purpose and only gives rise to negative impressions on voters. They always ultimately fall in line correctly and presumably will continue doing so but I can't really think of any positive argument in favor of the superdelegate system. It just looks like bad PR to me.

From where I'm sitting I think the concept of superdelegates serves no real purpose and only gives rise to negative impressions on voters. They always ultimately fall in line correctly and presumably will continue doing so but I can't really think of any positive argument in favor of the superdelegate system. It just looks like bad PR to me.
-The argument is to prevent people like Trump from winning a nomination. Or if there was ever a situation where the pledge delegate count was too out of wack with popular vote. In theory it has its uses. In practice not so much.

-Superdelegates came about as a compromise because decades ago the party could pick the presidential nominee without the input of the voters.

It is only really an issue right now because Bernie and some of his supporters went on and on about it. They really don't distort the final result. But whatever, I care more about getting rid of caucuses.

Also I must point that the general hypocrisy of Sanders and his supporters on his issue.

Imagine if in 2014 and the DNC announced changes to the nomination process, that even though more democratic, Hillary got stuff changed that hurt her in 2008.

Could you imagine how much crying that would have happened during the last primary by Bernie and his supporters.

So since Bernie is throwing his weight around in the DNC like this, I want to hear no complainants in 2020 if things don't work out for Sanders. Miss me

Old racism: black in the back of the bus.
New racism: defund regional mass transit

Old racism: segregated schools
New racism: create small public school districts and price black people out of it

Old racism: rigged literacy tests, klan at polling places
New racism: use various measures to reduce black turnout and render the entire black vote in your state into something to be ignored

Old racism: freed slaves can’t assemble in public of be out at night
New racism: stop and frisk, profiling, “quality of life arrest”

On and on it goes. It’s not like the old days, you don’t have to categorically and explicitly make non white people into second class citizens. In fact, new white supremacy rests on the fact that in theory, black people could do whatever a white person wants. You just make doing those things more expensive tiresome and risky for black folks. Those inducements at the margin then make it so that in practice black people are still second class citizens.

New Racism: Straight White Male.

-The caucuses are a move in the right direction but they need to go. I hope all states do away with them all together.

-The Superdelegates are a nothing burger because they have decided nothing. I don't know why Bernie is still so hung up on them, especially considering his antics towards the end of the primary. But still, good PR for his fans

I kinda disagree about superdelegates being a nothing burger. I feel like they increase apathy among less informed voters if they've already lined up behind a particular candidate. I heard ppl say in 2016 there was no point in voting in the primaries because Hillary already had all the superdelegates so it was damn near a guaranteed win. Anything to make the process less complicated I think is a win.

Caucuses really should be banned tho.

It took an independent politician to change the infrastructure of the Democratic Party lol

I think changing the nomination process will attract more disillusioned independent voters but if Bernie is the nominee it'll be a question of will he attract more independents that voted for Trump than moderates that he might lose that voted for Clinton (some of who are the #NeverBerners)

Last edited:
I kinda disagree about superdelegates being a nothing burger. I feel like they increase apathy among less informed voters if they've already lined up behind a particular candidate. I heard ppl say in 2016 there was no point in voting in the primaries because Hillary already had all the superdelegates, so it was damn near a guaranteed win. Anything to make the process less complicated I think is a win.

Caucuses really should be banned tho.

I don't doubt there were voters like that, and anything that causes voter apathy and self-suppression should be questioned, so this might help in that direction.

But stuff like this change kind of reinforces the narrative that Superdelegates swung the outcome of the last primary when they didn't.

But hey, you're right, this is simpler to understand, so that is a big positive.

It took an independent politician to change the infrastructure of the Democratic Party lol

I think changing the nomination process will attract more disillusioned independent voters but if Bernie is the nominee it'll be a question of will he attract more independents that voted for Trump than moderates that he might lose that voted for Clinton (some of who are the #NeverBerners)

-The concept of Bernie being an "independent" is just weird to me; he is hardly independent of the Democratic Party unless it is politically advantageous to him. He is a bit like "Maverick McCain" in that way. After Bernie came into Congress by seemingly running to the right of the Dem and Republican on the ballot on guns his House seat, for the most part, was protected by the DCCC (aka the Dem Establishment). I could be wrong, but they didn't field on encourage any candidates to go against him, he caucused with them, and when the Senate seat became available, the Dems eyed Bernie to take it over.

The Democratic Establishment pushed for Bernie in 2006, establishment politicians like Ted Kennedy campaigned for him. Also, Bernie attends Dem fundraisers and donor getaways just like Clintons.

I like Bernie, but he is a massive opportunist and a big crybaby. :lol: He has good points about the shortcomings of the Democratic party, but it is clear that one of his biggest beefs with them is when he views they are not conspiring in his favor. And I hate his act where he assumes he is the only ones that care about people so if you are not on his side you are seemingly against the poor/middle class/etc.

And if you think I am too hard on him, consider:

-He ignores the South and black voters in general, gets washed by the black vote in the South, then this man suggested that majority black Southern States should be moved to later in the primary because they have too much power in the nominating process. To this day I am surprised how little blowback he got for this, especially from leftist. It is such a large dog whistle.

-He was against superdelegates when he thought they were hurting him, is against them now, but when it was clear he could not win enough votes to overcome the difference in pledged delegates he seriously suggested that Superdelegates steal the nomination from Hillary and give it to him.

-Caucuses are very undemocratic, yet he is cool with them because he won more of them. But he hates closed primaries because he claims they are not democratic.

-He shades organizations like Planned Parenthood because of the endorsed Hillary over him.

I'm not a never Bernie person, I generally like him, I would happily vote for him, and I want social democracy to come to the United States, but Bernie is kind of a sucka.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom