***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Say what you will about Mike-mike, but he has stretched his patience further than, what could be reasonably expected. For two years, he, without complaint, has jerked off Trump, while waiting for the Presidency that was rightfully promised him by God. He has endured Trump's small-to-medium sized hands all over his credibility and withstood all of the creators temptations to outshine this fifth- to sixth-grader whoremonger, so why have God forsaken him?

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/11/go...s-win-midterms/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

IMG_6724.PNG

Bro you’re speaking my language right now!! Those two books are absolutely highly slept-on and offer an abundance of important insights into our current political situation, particularly with respect to leftist thought and challenges in deteriorating cities with large black populations. Cedric would be the first to tell you Reed is one of his biggest influences along with Harold Cruse and maybe James Boggs.

The class with Cedric was seminar-style and we read one book every week. It was only me and two other students so we just chopped it up with him for like three hours every week. Dude is super cool. I still keep in contact with him. He actually just emailed me like two weeks ago about a job opportunity :lol:

The class basically covered the development of black political thought and action over the last century or so. I can’t remember every book we read but some of them were: Aldon Morris “The Origins of the Civil Rights Movement,” Harold Cruse “The Crisis of the Negro Intellectual,” a James Boggs reader, Preston Smith “Racial Democracy in the Black Meteopolis,” William Grimshaw “Bitter Fruit,” Adolph Reed “Stirrings in the Jug,” John Arena “Driven from New Orleans,” and Fredrick Harris “The Price of the Ticket.”

All the books were insightful in different ways. I probably liked the Reed and Arena books the most.

Maaaan!!! Brotha, I can only imagine how great that experience was to just chop it up with Johnson for 3 hours a week and really dig into Black political thought in that manner. That's an experience that few get to enjoy. Were you a Poli Sci major in undergrad? All of those are great books even though a few of them were a bit dry at times. I had to use Preston Smith's in undergrad quite a bit. I'm staring at Reed's "Class Notes" right now on my desk along with Lester Spence's "Knocking the Hustle" and I can see Johnson's and Reed's influence even in Spence's work. Both Cedric and Adolph bring so much clarity to Black Political thought. I had that gotcha moment when I read Reed and Johnson came through and put it all together.

I had to write a paper in undergrad that traced Adolph Reed's Political thought and I used Cruse and Boggs writings as supplements along with Reed's book on Dubois. I was able to meet Harold Cruse a few years before he passed and he mentioned paying attention to Reed's work. Whenever I can, I'm always recommending people to read Johnson and Reed. They're critical to really understanding Black Political life in a class conscious and organizing context.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/18/trump-raking-wildfires-california-finland-1002526
Finnish president denies ever discussing ‘raking’ with Trump
The leader of Finland denied on Sunday that he’d ever told President Donald Trump that the small Nordic nation relies upon “raking” its forests to prevent wildfires — even though Trump promoted the dubious conservation method during a visit to flame-ravaged California over the weekend.

“You look at other countries where they do it differently, and it’s a whole different story,” Trump said Saturday, standing alongside Gov. Jerry Brown and Gov.-elect Gavin Newsom of California among the charred ruins of the Skyway Villa Mobile Home and RV Park in the town of Paradise.

“I was with the president of Finland, and he said, ‘We have a much different — we’re a forest nation.’ He called it a forest nation,” Trump continued. “And they spent a lot of time on raking and cleaning and doing things, and they don’t have any problem. And when it is, it’s a very small problem. So I know everybody’s looking at that to that end. And it’s going to work out, it’s going to work out well.”
But President Sauli Niinistö of Finland told Ilta-Sanomat, the country’s second-largest newspaper, on Sunday that he never discussed raking with Trump during their brief meeting in Paris last weekend, where the leaders attended various commemorations marking the centennial of the armistice that ended World War I.

“I mentioned [to] him that Finland is a land covered by forests and we also have a good monitoring system and network,” Niinistö said, adding that he recalled telling Trump: “We take care of our forests.”

The Camp Fire in Northern California, the deadliest and most devastating wildfire in the state’s history, has resulted in at least 76 deaths and nearly 1,300 people missing. The fire, which is 55 percent contained, has destroyed nearly 10,000 homes and set ablaze 233 square miles, according to The Associated Press.

While in California, the president was reluctant to blame the effects of rising global temperatures for a series of increasingly devastating wildfires. Asked by reporters whether his visit to the fire zone had altered his opinions on climate change, Trump replied: “No. No. I have a strong opinion: I want great climate. We’re going to have that, and we’re going to have forests that are very safe.”

The president has instead largely attributed the natural disasters to forestland mismanagement by California’s leaders. He was widely criticized by local officials last week for a tweet in which he threatened to withhold the state’s federal funding.

“There is no reason for these massive, deadly and costly forest fires in California except that forest management is so poor,” Trump wrote online. “Billions of dollars are given each year, with so many lives lost, all because of gross mismanagement of the forests. Remedy now, or no more Fed payments!”

On Saturday, the president continued to emphasize the importance of working with environmental groups to improve forest maintenance, and pledged to “take care of the floors, you know, the floors of the forest.”

“I think everybody’s seen the light, and I don’t think we’ll have this again to this extent. We’re going to have to work quickly,” Trump said. “But a lot of people are very much — there’s been a lot of study going on over the last little while, and I will say I think you’re going to have — hopefully this is going to be the last of these because this was a really, really bad one.”

As news of Niinistö’s contradiction of Trump disseminated across social media on Sunday, Finns took to Twitter to post videos, pictures and memes accompanied by the word #haravointi, which translates from Finnish to English as “raking.”

“Just an ordinary day in the Finnish forest,” wrote @pyryluminen, who posted a photo of herself vacuuming leaves in a small clearing.

Another post featured a Photoshopped picture of Niinistö brandishing a rake in the Oval Office in an effort to “offer aid” following Trump’s warning of an “invasion” of incoming Central American migrants.

And a user from Wales wrote, “Now we know what Trump supporters wear to do forest work,” tweeting a picture of the president’s signature campaign baseball cap emblazoned with the words “Rake America Great Again.”

Maaaan!!! Brotha, I can only imagine how great that experience was to just chop it up with Johnson for 3 hours a week and really dig into Black political thought in that manner. That's an experience that few get to enjoy. Were you a Poli Sci major in undergrad? All of those are great books even though a few of them were a bit dry at times. I had to use Preston Smith's in undergrad quite a bit. I'm staring at Reed's "Class Notes" right now on my desk along with Lester Spence's "Knocking the Hustle" and I can see Johnson's and Reed's influence even in Spence's work. Both Cedric and Adolph bring so much clarity to Black Political thought. I had that gotcha moment when I read Reed and Johnson came through and put it all together.

I had to write a paper in undergrad that traced Adolph Reed's Political thought and I used Cruse and Boggs writings as supplements along with Reed's book on Dubois. I was able to meet Harold Cruse a few years before he passed and he mentioned paying attention to Reed's work. Whenever I can, I'm always recommending people to read Johnson and Reed. They're critical to really understanding Black Political life in a class conscious and organizing context.
Fam, YES. And what’s so crazy is I had no idea going into the class what I was in store for. I studied social work throughout school and this was an elective I took in the last semester of my PhD program. I hadn’t read any of his stuff or Reed’s or anything at that point. My perceptions of most of these issues from a scholarly perspective had been shaped by urban sociologists and historians—William Julius Wilson, Arnold Hirsch, Loic Wacquant, Massey and Denton, etc. Cedric’s class opened my mind up to a whole new set of perspectives rooted in political analysis. It didn’t take long for me to realize that dude was really smart and I was being given a golden opportunity. I definitely took advantage. I’m assuming you studied political science?

I gotta check out Spence’s book. I’ve read some articles he’s written and it definitely seems like he’s cut from that Reed and Johnson cloth. Reed’s tome on DuBois is sitting on my bookshelf but I haven’t had a chance to read it yet. The introduction to “Class Notes” is more insightful than many people’s entire career outputs :lol:

Man that must have been incredible to meet Adolph Reed and Harold Cruse. Those are some serious intellectual giants. There’s not many of those folks I’d be truly honored or excited to meet but they’d be on a short list. Mike Davis too.

Fam, YES. And what’s so crazy is I had no idea going into the class what I was in store for. I studied social work throughout school and this was an elective I took in the last semester of my PhD program. I hadn’t read any of his stuff or Reed’s or anything at that point. My perceptions of most of these issues from a scholarly perspective had been shaped by urban sociologists and historians—William Julius Wilson, Arnold Hirsch, Loic Wacquant, Massey and Denton, etc. Cedric’s class opened my mind up to a whole new set of perspectives rooted in political analysis. It didn’t take long for me to realize that dude was really smart and I was being given a golden opportunity. I definitely took advantage. I’m assuming you studied political science?

I gotta check out Spence’s book. I’ve read some articles he’s written and it definitely seems like he’s cut from that Reed and Johnson cloth. Reed’s tome on DuBois is sitting on my bookshelf but I haven’t had a chance to read it yet. The introduction to “Class Notes” is more insightful than many people’s entire career outputs :lol:

Man that must have been incredible to meet Adolph Reed and Harold Cruse. Those are some serious intellectual giants. There’s not many of those folks I’d be truly honored or excited to meet but they’d be on a short list. Mike Davis too.

Bruh! That is a list of powerful scholarship right there! American Apartheid, When Work Disappears, Making of the Second Ghetto, and Body & Soul were under my belt before I went to undergrad. Being that you were in social work before you got to Johnson, I'm sure you probably encountered Derrick Bell's work as well as Critical Race Theory somewhere in your studies.
I got to Reed and Johnson through a different path. I actually came up in the Africana/ Black Studies tradition. My major in undergrad was in Mechanical Engineering with a minor in Africana studies (Weird I know). I came up reading JA Rogers, Du Bois, Martin Delany, Hubert Harrison, Mary Church Terrell, Lerone Bennet Jr, Marimba Ani etc. I was already well read and educated by the time I got to undergrad.

I came up in an activist family involved with various orgs in NYC. That put me in alot of circles growing up so I was able to meet some very prominent activists and scholars. My uncle was close to Dr. John Henrik Clarke in his later years and he took me to Dr. Clarke's lectures when I was a kid. So I practically grew up in this tradition. Later on in life, I became an activist and organizer and that put me in the path of people like Dr. Carr ( Who I met as a kid because he was a student of Dr. Clarke) and the late Ronald Walters. It was through Dr. Carr that I had the chance to meet Harold Cruse. His work had influenced mentors who influenced me! By the time I met him, he was largely forgotten by academia and the left even though people deify him now. I was able to really get to know him and listen to him talk about his life face to face. When he died a few years later, I regretted not getting his thoughts on a recording. I count it as one of the biggest moments of my life.

Cruse's influence is seen all throughout Reed's work, especially in that Du bois tome. What separates Reed and Cruse from other "academics" out now is the fact that both were working in organizing spaces trying to change things while most today just achieve understanding from the archive without really living the tradition. Being part of the struggle gave Reed and Cruse the proper insight that others simply don't have. Class Notes is phenomenal! I'm re-reading it for the 3rd time! I love how Reed made it accessible for the average person to pick up and quickly understand. He's able to take complex subjects and break them down in an easy to understand matter just like Spence. Most people's books won't come close to "What are the Drums Saying Booker" :lol:

Back
Top Bottom