***Official Political Discussion Thread***

https://www.salon.com/2019/05/16/af...on-republicans-say-hes-clueless-on-the-issue/

Republican senators meet with Jared Kushner on immigration, conclude he's clueless
C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

We have mandatory voting here and literally just about everyone I know hates it. Emphasis on 'hate', because dislike would be an understatement. So even in our situation there is mass voter apathy. It's very common at any workplace to see employees rush to make sure they get a shift on election day so they don't have to face repercussions for not voting.
If anything I think our mandatory voting only further increases the overwhelming voter apathy, though I don't think we should get rid of it because it effectively eliminates discriminatory voter suppression tactics.

Since everyone has to vote, there also have to be plentiful voting stations so everyone can go nearby and vote in a timely manner. Abundant and speedy access is intended to avoid legitimizing "but it was too far" or "not enough time" claims as valid appeals for individuals facing repercussions for failing to vote.
My small rural town uses the local youth center as a voting station and there's about 16 individual voting booths in there if I recall correctly. Generally I only have to wait about 5 minutes in line.

Yeah, I don't think that mandatory voting is the right answer - it’s (hopefully) an attempt to give everyone a voice but the ideal is the people feeling engaged and wanting to vote - not doing it because they are required to do it.

I need to know what the hell is going through Chelsea Manning's mind right now, because she seems to be acting like a legit idiot.

Yeah, I don't think that mandatory voting is the right answer - it’s (hopefully) an attempt to give everyone a voice but the ideal is the people feeling engaged and wanting to vote - not doing it because they are required to do it.
I think if voting was made as easy as possible, including making things like mail in ballots the norm nationwide, we could improve turnout a lot.

But the GOP is universally against those measure because higher turnout means they will get ravaged at the polls given their current platform.

The GOP's viability depends on voter suppression. Especially of college students, and mainly of black people.

She was streaming and having a good time last night

Dambs totally depleted

She said in court today she would seriously starve herself to death instead of testifying in front of a grand jury.

But the thing if she has complete immunity

And her objection to the questions is that they are old and she answered them already.

:lol: :lol:

I don't want to she her back in jail, but I have a hard time feeling sorry for her given this level of entitlement.

I think if voting was made as easy as possible, including making things like mail in ballots the norm nationwide, we could improve turnout a lot.

But the GOP is universally against those measure because higher turnout means they will get ravaged at the polls given their current platform.

The GOP's viability depends on voter suppression. Especially of college students, and mainly of black people.

Oh definitely. I was mainly thinking of people not voting rather than those who are prevented from voting - and that is a huge issue which makes me really angry. The gerrymandering and voter suppression which have been happening for decades is criminal - and I don't say that lightly, people should be in jail for treason.

I'm for automatic registration, early voting and making election days national holidays (this is just my general views).. but I'm not a fan of mail in ballots

The only thing Kushner has done that has been remotely useful is to appeal to Trump's warped racial views that if he signed a criminal justice bill that the Dems and activist pushed for years, he could take credit for "helping the blacks".

Otherwise, completely ****ing useless
Only because his father is a convicted criminal though

Sing little nightingale. So at least one person "linked to Congress" reached out to Flynn to in an effort to obstruct the investigation, according to what Flynn told the Special Counsel.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/ju...-trump-congress-tried-obstruct-probe-n1006666
Flynn told Mueller people tied to Trump and Congress tried to obstruct probe
The communications could have affected "his willingness to cooperate," special counsel Robert Mueller wrote in court filings.

Former national security adviser Michael Flynn told investigators that people linked to the Trump administration and Congress reached out to him in an effort to interfere in the Russia probe, according to newly-unredacted court papers filed Thursday.

The communications could have "affected both his willingness to cooperate and the completeness of that cooperation," special counsel Robert Mueller wrote in the court filings.

Flynn even provided a voicemail recording of one such communication, the court papers say. "In some instances, the (special counsel's office) was unaware of the outreach until being alerted to it by the defendant," Mueller wrote.

No other details were provided in the filing, but the Mueller report noted that President Donald Trump's personal lawyer left a voicemail message for Flynn in late November 2017 that addressed the possibility of him cooperating with the government.

"t wouldn't surprise me if you've gone on to make a deal with ... the government," the attorney said in the voicemail message, according to Mueller.

f... there's information that implicates the President, then we've got a national security issue, . . . so, you know, . . . we need some kind of heads up. Um, just for the sake of protecting all our interests if we can .... [R]emember what we've always said about the President and his feelings toward Flynn and, that still remains."
In a separate court filing, Judge Emmet Sullivan ordered federal prosecutors to file a transcript of the voicemail message, as well as transcripts of any other recordings of Flynn including his conversations with Russian officials.

Flynn's lawyer Robert Kelner did not immediately return a request for comment. The White House also did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Flynn pleaded guilty in December 2017 to a charge of lying to the FBI about his conversations with Russian ambassador Sergey Kislyak in the weeks before Trump took office. He faces up to six months in prison. A judge has yet to set a sentencing date.

Mueller's office had previously told the court that Flynn should receive little to no jail time due to his "substantial assistance" in the special counsel's investigation into Russian election interference.

Mueller wrapped up the probe in March, concluding that there was no proof Trump or a member of his campaign conspired with Russia. But the special counsel declined to make a judgement on whether Trump obstructed justice.

Attorney General William Barr and Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein determined that there was insufficient evidence to pursue the matter further.

Last edited:
The newly unsealed Flynn court filing states that Flynn told the Special Counsel that people linked to the Trump administration and Congress reached out to him in an effort to interfere in the Russia probe.
That means at least one person "linked to Congress."
Mueller's team was unaware in some cases of the outreach and only found out about those instances because Flynn alerted them.

Any bets on who the person(s) "linked to Congress" might be? :nerd:
I'll go with Devin Nunes as most likely.
Honorable mentions: Jim Jordan, Mark Meadows, Matt Gaetz

Or an aide to any of the above.

The newly unsealed Flynn court filing states that Flynn told the Special Counsel that people linked to the Trump administration and Congress reached out to him in an effort to interfere in the Russia probe.
That means at least one person "linked to Congress."
Mueller's team was unaware in some cases of the outreach and only found out about those instances because Flynn alerted them.

Any bets on who the person(s) "linked to Congress" might be? :nerd:
I'll go with Devin Nunes as most likely.
Honorable mentions: Jim Jordan, Mark Meadows, Matt Gaetz

Or an aide to any of the above.
Dark horse pick is Graham Crackers

He sold his soul already, might as well risk his freedom.

"That's NOT racist"
- some lawyer worried about due process...

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/05/16/mark-morgan-eyes-ice-director-1449570

Trump’s pick for ICE director: I can tell which migrant children will become gang members by looking into their eyes

Mark Morgan, the White House choice to lead Immigration and Customs Enforcement, said during a Fox News interview earlier this year that he can judge the likelihood that an unaccompanied minor will become a gang member by looking into that child's eyes.

“I’ve been to detention facilities where I’ve walked up to these individuals that are so-called minors, 17 or under,” Morgan said on “Tucker Carlson Tonight” in January. “I’ve looked at them and I’ve looked at their eyes, Tucker — and I’ve said that is a soon-to-be MS-13 gang member. It’s unequivocal.”

Back
Top Bottom