***Official Political Discussion Thread***

A83A7053-A725-4D58-B030-406C38C8F96C.jpeg

roughly half of Americans voted for Trump. so I'm not surprised by anything half of Americans do anymore.

half of Americans claim to worship Jesus but want the government and church to be intermingled.

half of Americans can't see their toes.

half of Americans think they understand enough about biology to make up an explanation for why abortion should be illegal.

half of Americans can't name more than 5 countries on a map.

half of Americans don't know the difference between mean and median yet want to interpret statistical data.

half of Americans are libs who want to close down the coal mines. SMH WOW

While your point is valid it isn’t correct to say that nearly half voted for Trump - it was about 63m which I get to be about 25% of the (voting age) population.

The fact that half the country don’t bother is a whole issue in itself.

While your point is valid it isn’t correct to say that nearly half voted for Trump - it was about 63m which I get to be about 25% of the (voting age) population.

The fact that half the country don’t bother is a whole issue in itself.
We have mandatory voting here and literally just about everyone I know hates it. Emphasis on 'hate', because dislike would be an understatement. So even in our situation there is mass voter apathy. It's very common at any workplace to see employees rush to make sure they get a shift on election day so they don't have to face repercussions for not voting.
If anything I think our mandatory voting only further increases the overwhelming voter apathy, though I don't think we should get rid of it because it effectively eliminates discriminatory voter suppression tactics.

Since everyone has to vote, there also have to be plentiful voting stations so everyone can go nearby and vote in a timely manner. Abundant and speedy access is intended to avoid legitimizing "but it was too far" or "not enough time" claims as valid appeals for individuals facing repercussions for failing to vote.
My small rural town uses the local youth center as a voting station and there's about 16 individual voting booths in there if I recall correctly. Generally I only have to wait about 5 minutes in line.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom