***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Trump: I don't know these people, so what if there's multiple pictures of them with me. I have a lot of pictures.
Attorney John Dowd in a letter to Congress prior to their arrest: These people are assisting Giuliani in his representation of the president.

The U.S. government does agree with the Turkish government that the PKK is a "terrorist" organization. (Both governments are wrong about that - the PKK are freedom fighters defending their people from oppression and seeking autonomy and self-determination - but it's true that they agree.)

But they do not agree about the YPG. The Turkish government's line is that the YPG, which is only one component of the militia forces defending Rojava, has vaguely defined "ties" to the PKK, therefore the YPG is "terrorist," therefore the entire umbrella force SDF is "terrorist," thus justifying the invasion of Rojava. The U.S. government disagrees with this line of reasoning.

Of course neither government is being sincere here. The Turkish government's real motivation is to create a demographic buffer zone in Syria, to drive the Kurds out of northern Syria and put 2-3 million Arabs in their place, rendering an independent Kurdistan infeasible and keeping Turkey's Kurdish population under the boot. And nobody believes for a minute that the U.S. government has ever given a **** about the Kurds or anyone else.

But Turkey's game is ethnic cleansing and demographic transformation, facilitating continued domestic oppression of their Kurdish minority. It's certainly not to protect Turkey from the YPG.

Back
Top Bottom