***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Could someone with knowledge of British politics please example to me how the Conversatives still have a chance of winning the election by that much.

Is Labour that useless?
I'm nowhere near as familiar with UK politics than I am with US politics but from what I understand, Labour is a mess and Jeremy Corbyn is extremely disliked across the board.

Labour wants to negotiate yet another Brexit deal with the EU, supposedly within 6 months after the election, and then hold a referendum.
Voters would then decide from these 2 choices:
-"Credible" leave option
-Remain option

What that strategy sounds like to me is delay, delay, and more delay. Just get it over with already, please. I assume many in the UK are simply tired of the seemingly endless delays, after all many in the EU are tired of the delays and uncertainty as well.

The Conservatives already have a deal, they just don't have the numbers in parliament at the moment.
Labour does not have a deal and says they will somehow get a new one somewhere within 6 months of the election, followed by that second referendum.

Last edited:
From the people on here and folk in my real life (a couple that live in the UK) the common thread is that Corbyn is trash. :lol: :lol:

Good lawd I hope Labour dumps his *** soon after the election then.

EJ6clhnXUAsn5ao.jpg:large

mr 5 pinocchios:

I mean cut the man a break.... he has accomplished nothing but failed evil. He needs to lie to make his daily quota of embarrassment or he’ll have nothing left.

Why doesn't this arrogant fool just stay in the background and do **** like this.

I would not mind them shouting him out at the convention is he was about voter access and fighting the NRA.

Cause Nobody tells a billionaire to sit in the corner......

Dirty dancing reference aside I’m not joking nobody tells a billionaire “sit it out” there egos have to be colossal and they have to be surrounded by sycophants by the time they make their first Billion.

Jeremy Corbyn is arguably a worse person than Boris Johnson.

Yeah? Well make the argument, then. Don't just spout off reckless comparisons only to hide behind your opinion when pushed.

To highlight a few examples, Corbyn and Labour have proposed:
  1. Extending access to public services without regressive taxation
  2. A universal basic income
  3. Expanding the investment stake of workers in the companies for which they work.
  4. The dramatic expansion of broadband access across the country.
Read more here: https://labour.org.uk/manifesto/

Since you want to make comparisons, I'll leave it to you to make the case for why Johnson--a racist liar invested in leveraging right-wing populism to entrench inequality still further--is 'arguably' better than Corbyn.

Corbyn is "trash," its been said. Corbyn is "extremely disliked across the board," its been mentioned. No detailed, rigorous analysis of multiple opinion polls. Just anecdotal evidence passing for some general pattern.

If you don't agree with the kind of redistributionary agenda Labour has proposed then say so. If you don't think that Britain can engage in expansive deficit spending at a moment of relatively low interest rates, then say so.

At the very least, it's fair to ask those of you who have educated NT on the recent dealings in the criminality of 45 to bring that same rigor to bear on other political dynamics.

obeahmyal7 obeahmyal7

I don't think anyone made the argument of Johnson being clearly better (to be fair fargin fargin post kinda reads that way), or his plans are better, and I don't think anyone tried to **** on Labour economic plans.

I posed a question as to why polls are looking like they do, and people on here have reasons. I don't think they really needed to back it up with a deep analysis. People in my real life that live in the UK all bad to vote Labour and nearly universally dislike Corbyn. One of them being Jewish, and he especially loathes Corbyn and feels alienated by Labour.

Brexit came up too and Belgium Belgium comments seem on the mark as even Labour voters they think the Conservatives have a clearer path on Brexit.

This Wiki site list the history of polling links, it clear shows that Corbyn doesn't have high approval ratings. Johnson is a rancid bigot has nearly double the approval. With a parliamentary system Labour inclined voters have more options, and it seems they are exercising it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lea..._for_the_2019_United_Kingdom_general_election

Corbyn may have some good plans I am inclined to agree with but he seems to be a clear political liability. Labour and the British Left can't help anyone of they never get power. Corbyn seems to be a road block to that.

But I am sure racism and a strong third option play a role too. Plus from watching UK recently, it seems like voter apathy is really high.

Last edited:
obeahmyal7 obeahmyal7

I don't think anyone made the argument of Johnson being clearly better (to be fair fargin fargin post kinda reads that way), or his plans are better, and I don't think anyone tried to **** on Labour economic plans.

I posed a question as to why polls are looking like they do, and people on here have reasons. I don't think they really needed to back it up with a deep analysis. People in my real life that live in the UK all bad to vote Labour and nearly universally dislike Corbyn. One of them being Jewish, and he especially loathes Corbyn and feels alienated by Labour.

Brexit came up too and Belgium Belgium comments seem on the mark as even Labour voters they think the Conservatives have a clearer path on Brexit.

This Wiki site list the history of polling links, it clear shows that Corbyn doesn't have high approval ratings. Johnson is a rancid bigot has nearly double the approval. With a parliamentary system Labour inclined voters have more options, and it seems they are exercising it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lea..._for_the_2019_United_Kingdom_general_election

Corbyn may have some good plans I am inclined to agree with but he seems to be a clear political liability. Labour and the British Left can't help anyone of they never get power. Corbyn seems to be a road block to that.

But I am sure racism and a strong third option play a role too. Plus from watching UK recently, it seems like voter apathy is really high.

Respect, RustyShackleford RustyShackleford

Let me also clarify that I wasn't trying to conflate what you and Belgium said with what Fargin offered. And your response is exactly what I was hoping for in asking for a bit more analysis instead of flippant remarks.

When it comes to opinion polls, I want to have my cake and eat it, too. On the one hand, I recognize polling as an acceptable barometer for measuring popular opinion. On the other hand, polling can never fully capture what its wielders claim to know. The basic point is that polling is political, deployed by left and right to make the case in ways they see fit. I'm guilty of this, but I always try to foreground the tactical aspect of polls. It is my way of relating to that seemingly neutral form of knowledge production.

I suspect that where you and I might disagree is around posture. That is, we probably agree on social democracy, perhaps even antiracist economic democracy. But we disagree on the political posture candidates should assume vis-a-vis oligarchs and their parliamentary lackeys. That confrontational posture is one major reason why I support Bernie. It is also why I don't think Corbyn is an obstacle as you suggested. Between he and other roadblocks, Corbyn is the 'pink bunny shaped' road block used in Narita, Japan. The conservative party and those hell-bent on obstructing Labour's 2019 Manifesto are the roadblocks of the West Bank: numerous, permanent, and suffocating of progressive reform.

My coworker keeps getting texts on his work cell from don jr begging for money because the radical left gates his father and America. :lol:

Uh oh...

Excerpts:
When Rudy Giuliani met with a senior Ukrainian official in Madrid earlier this year and urged him to investigate the Bidens, Lev Parnas was at the table, according to Andriy Yermak, the Ukrainian official.

Joseph Bondy, Parnas’ New York-based criminal defense attorney, confirmed
that his client attended the meeting.
“Mr. Parnas travelled to Madrid to meet Rudolph Giuliani, where he attended Rudolph’s meeting with Zelensky aide Andriy Yermak, and witnessed Rudolph pressuring Yermak on behalf of President Trump to compel Zelensky to announce that his administration was launching a corruption investigation into Joe and Hunter Biden and alleged Ukrainian meddling in the 2016 election,” he said in a statement.

Back
Top Bottom