***Official Political Discussion Thread***

I guess Trump's defense team is hoping to bore everyone to death, so that nobody will pay attention to the proceedings.

I imagine a lot of people won’t be paying close attention to the proceedings since most can reasonably guess where it’s headed (no removal).

People against the president will say it was an unfair trial. Supporters will say he was exonerated. I don’t think paying attention will really sway either side much.

We see that from the polls since impeachment started. Has pretty much fallen along party lines—despite Speaker Pelosi saying bipartisan or bust in re: impeachment.

Guess who else is known to communicate with MBS via Whatsap...
Somebody might want to do a security check on Kushner's phone(s). AMI, the National Enquirer's parent company, insists that it was Bezos' estranged brother who leaked the information to them, denying any Saudi involvement. AMI's owner David Pecker reportedly has a good relationship with Saudi Arabia.
Another complicating factor for AMI is that the investigation into the matter is being conducted by SDNY. As part of a non-prosecution agreement with SDNY, AMI admitted to their illegal conduct in Trump/Cohen's felony campaign finance conspiracy. Bezos accused the National Enquirer of trying to extort/blackmail him with the leaked information and is cooperating with SDNY's criminal investigation.
https://www.theguardian.com/technol...eff-bezoss-phone-hacked-by-saudi-crown-prince
Amazon boss Jeff Bezos's phone 'hacked by Saudi crown prince'
Exclusive: investigation suggests Washington Post owner was targeted five months before murder of Jamal Khashoggi

The Amazon billionaire Jeff Bezos had his mobile phone “hacked” in 2018 after receiving a WhatsApp message that had apparently been sent from the personal account of the crown prince of Saudi Arabia, sources have told the Guardian.

The encrypted message from the number used by Mohammed bin Salman is believed to have included a malicious file that infiltrated the phone of the world’s richest man, according to the results of a digital forensic analysis.

This analysis found it “highly probable” that the intrusion into the phone was triggered by an infected video file sent from the account of the Saudi heir to Bezos, the owner of the Washington Post.

The two men had been having a seemingly friendly WhatsApp exchange when, on 1 May of that year, the unsolicited file was sent, according to sources who spoke to the Guardian on the condition of anonymity.

Large amounts of data were exfiltrated from Bezos’s phone within hours, according to a person familiar with the matter. The Guardian has no knowledge of what was taken from the phone or how it was used.

Excerpts:
a46a26aa7b9a9dbbe65b2b35db96b41c.png

0cf352611bc6a8ffc25d541665c54b21.png

c1dff82b7dec8ee3eee225c138dfa0fb.png

7f241195d2fdcca4ca338dad3a2b56a1.png

Last edited:
I'm not skipping anything; I'm well aware of all of the dynamics to which you're alluding.

I'm stating that her own campaign's failures in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Pennsylvania had more of an impact on her losing in 2016 than any of those other dynamics. The only thing that had a bigger role in her loss was the existence of the Electoral College.
How about Comey's announcement that he was reopening the investigation into Clinton's emails less than a week before the election? Taking into account the Ukraine scandal and the way the Trump campaign wanted to take Biden out with the same trick, I now have a hard time believing that move was coincidental. For all their inventiveness in matters of political treachery, the GOP is sort of a one trick pony when something sticks to the wall.

I singled them out because the differences, ideologically and policy-wise, between trump and Sanders was so vast that one can't help but surmise that it had nothing to do with either of those things.

A much more reasonable argument can be made for why a supporter of Clinton (an establishment Democrat) would switch to McCain who, by today's standards, was as close to centrist Republican as you can get vs an unestablished junior senator running on a "change" platform.

Was some of the Clinton/McCain exodus driven by racism and all the other nasty stuff? Absolutely. And that's what I believe drove the Sanders/trump switch. Misogyny, anti-establishment sentiments, among other things. Because it couldn't have been pushing for a progressive agenda. In which case, you're a bro.
I mean, voters may defect from one party's candidate to another from the primary to the general for any number of reasons in any given election.

I don't know why Bernie defectors and/or hypothetical future Bernie defectors are worth singling out in this regard, aside from serving as fodder for the "Bernie Bro" narrative—which, ironically, seems to be fueling the same kind of divisiveness the alleged Bros themselves are said to be engaging in, just from the other side of the proverbial (intraparty) political coin.

How about Comey's announcement that he was reopening the investigation into Clinton's emails less than a week before the election? Taking into account the Ukraine scandal and the way the Trump campaign wanted to take Biden out with the same trick, I now have a hard time believing that move was coincidental. For all their inventiveness in matters of political treachery, the GOP is sort of a one trick pony when something sticks to the wall.
Do I think the Comey letter was damaging? If course. Do I think it swung the election, assuming that everything else played out exactly as it did? Perhaps.

But my point is that everything else didn't have to play out exactly as it did. Clinton's campaign made poor choices in key battleground states that very easily could have swung the election in her favor, regardless of the Comey letter.

Some fool called in the Washington Journal today to ask whether Obama could be retroactively impeached. I had a hard time not laughing at work.
Srsly. Its embarrassing what some people ask out loud, or ask at all.

OF COURSE you can impeach Obummer retroactively. Godemporer Donald can do anything since he's OUR president. Real men DONT ASK. They DO. And impeaching and imprisoning Mr. Obummer is what TRUE PATRIOTS DO. #LockHimUp!

Do I think the Comey letter was damaging? If course. Do I think it swung the election, assuming that everything else played out exactly as it did? Perhaps.

But my point is that everything else didn't have to play out exactly as it did. Clinton's campaign made poor choices in key battleground states that very easily could have swung the election in her favor, regardless of the Comey letter.
Nate Silver was going crazy at the time at other forecasters having Hillary's chance of winning at 99%. The Comey letter and the resulting coverage swung the race back within the polling error.

She overcame foreign interference, voter suppression of key voting blocks, ****ty mass media coverage. She looked to have the race locked up and then boom, an October Surprise that got bull**** coverage and swing the election back toward Trump.

If you want to put the lost mainly on her, then you are basically shading her for not going above and beyond enough to overcome the screw job that was in motion to win in an electoral system that was structurally against her from the jump.

Hillary made mistakes, yes, but she did enough to win if the race was ran under conditions that the last few presidents won under.

Also, that is the important difference when her in the general and Bernie in the primary. Not that Bernie thought he was gonna lose those states and Hillary thought she was gonna win. It is that Bernie ultimately got beaten fair and square. Whereas Hillary was robbed.

Last edited:
Trump's defense is now arguing that the supposed September 9 "no quid pro quo" call Sondand described with Trump is exculpatory but there is no evidence to suggest Sondland was telling the truth. Unlike the September 7 call, there is no evidence to suggest this call Sekulow is citing ever happened. If anything, the evidence suggests Sondland either conflated one call into 2 separate calls somehow, or he perjured himself to protect Trump.

Supposedly, Sondland called Trump on September 9 after Bill Taylor texted him about the withholding of military aid. Sondland says he asked Trump and that's when he was told "no quid pro quo."
749e6fc049584f08a2c15a3e2a0fdc90.png

Aside from Sondland and the WH not being able to find any record of such a call, there are 2 witnesses that put this story in further doubt.

Tim Morrison testified that he heard from Sondland that Trump told him "no quid pro quo" during a call on September 7. There is a record of this call taking place. The difference is that this call, which conclusively did take place, also included Trump telling Sondland that he wanted Zelensky to personally announce the investigations in public and that the prosecutor general doing it would be insufficient, according to Morrison's testimony.
EJ7mTJ2X0AYjSFU

As Bill Taylor says in his testimony, Morrison told him at the time about his conversation with Sondland. He describes the same details that Morrison later described in his testimony. Addtionally, Morrison told John Bolton about the phonecall Sondland described.
EJ7nxPzWoAErD46

To summarize:
Sondland describes a September 9 call where Trump told him "no quid pro quo."
There is no record of this call taking place. According to 2 other witnesses, Trump's "no quid pro quo" remark came in a call Sondland had with Trump on September 7, not a second call on September 9. There are records to confirm this September 7 call took place. Unlike the exculpatory version Sondland describes, this call was inculpatory.

Back
Top Bottom