***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Not sure why people still lend their ears to anything Donald Trump has to say. There is never anything of substance. The statements he makes never hold, and he always flip flops on decisions.

There is zero value in Donald Trump’s words. I’ve come to terms with this, so I choose not to listen. Why are we surprised anymore?

Totally not an echo chamber.

3DF18340-BEA1-4BDA-AA60-A02F5B65DF18.jpeg

I don't have a special definition for a lie. I said that a factually inaccurate statement is not always a lie. A lie suggests intent.
Would you agree that intent to lie can be assumed by default if the person making the statement had knowledge of the truth at the time of making the statement? And no we're not talking about lying in the criminal context of false statements

As in, person A gets briefings on subject Y and then makes a (false) statement that was the complete opposite of what was described in the earlier briefings person A received.
Additionally, I think it's fair to say an aggravating factor in determining intent to lie is whether or not person A has a history of lying, specifically blatant lying. Another aggravating factor is whether or not the false claim benefits the person making the claim.

In Trump's case, there's obviously the thousands upon thousands of false statements and lies that serve as an aggravating factor in determining intent to lie. But what I deem the most important document in this isthe Mueller report. It showed that Trump almost instinctively chose to lie in most situations, with almost no instance where his first instinct was to tell the truth. It also showed that Trump wanted his advisers to operate in the same way. Telling the truth was in fact actively discouraged by the president.

For example, if I make a claim that supposedly came from the Mueller report but was in fact false and the opposite of what was actually described, you should assume I'm lying because you know I have read the Mueller report start to finish, that I am very familiar with the content of both volumes and that I have an excellent recollection.

Last edited:
I have educated myself on the US 1st amendment, to some extent, via Twitter @Popehat's Make No Law podcast.

I was kinda surprised at just how deeply misinformed many actual Americans are about the 1st amendment, including elected officials like Ted Cruz. I had a number of assumptions about the 1st amendment that seemed very common amongst Americans but turned out to have zero basis at all in law.

Last edited:
I've always thought US right-wingers' group effort of legal claims against social media (alleged) censorship were ridiculous but my newly gained knowledge puts in perspective just how absolutely ridiculous those efforts are.
Especially Ted Cruz' question to Zuckerberg where he cited Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act. Cruz then asked Zuckerberg "the predicate for section 230 immunity is that you are a neutral public forum. Do you consider yourself a neutral public forum?"

Last edited:
Imagine saying it’s an echo chamber in here because no one else is defending Roy Moore, saying immigrants don’t have rights and their parents made a choice so **** em, defending trump employing alt-right neo nazis, defending a dude who has lied like seventeen thousand times since he became president because it’s inexperience and he doesn’t intend to lie

Imagine doing all that

I wonder if the Roger Stone parts will now be made public, after all his case is over.

That aside, I'm betting on very few unredactions, if any at all. Not based on any knowledge of the judge's habits, the only FOIA exemptions I could see the judge potentially taking isssue with are B5, B6 and B7C. Barr's DOJ has made extremely broad use of the B5 exemption, the so-called 'deliberative process' exemption. I think that'll be the main redaction to bet on. I also picked B6 and B7C, both personal privacy exemptions.

Last edited:
Actually, B3 may also be something to look out for. What came to mind was this passage.
Whatever was written after "[Trump Jr] declined to be voluntarily interviewed by the Office" was redacted under the grand jury exemption as seen here. However we know Trump Jr never testified before the grand jury.
770f10591fbdccd84f067b6fbdc2d1f6.png

Edit: Compelled by a Buzzfeed lawsuit, here's a Mueller report version that identifies exactly which exemption was used for each redaction.
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/jasonleopold/doj-mueller-report-release-redactions-foia-lawsuit
Example: (same excerpt I used above)
9db06445294dd266518f82b2fd220f97.png

Fun fact: my childhood dream job was intelligence agency analyst :lol:
Safe to say that was very very different from the other kids

Last edited:
Some of you may recall I had a whole bunch of coal at my dad's former house (now my former house).
I shoveled, packed and transported almost all of it back to my current home before selling the house but I left a little bit of coal because the buyers for my house were locals that I knew as a kid.
During the negotiations and contract signing, I identified the buying couple as libs. I have no doubt they are full-fledged Coal Gang members now after being gifted some tremendously beautiful coal.

Back
Top Bottom