***Official Political Discussion Thread***

Just the other day you posted an executive order, which instructed the Attorney General to implement a number of policies on policing.
For the most part it's independent, or at least supposed to be.

Was there an executive order on undermining the First Step Act?

Surely you understand the difference.

The DOJ is independent, right?

And I do care about that.
If Trump cares so much, then why is he letting the DOJ uncut the legislation without saying a peep. Trump criticizes everyone that goes against him, he will got on the Fed for not cutting rates, but on this issue he has not said a peep.

You were championing him for asking the DOJ to investigate George Floyd's killers, why hasn't he done the same in regards to them undermining the First Step Act?

If Trump cares so much, then why is he letting the DOJ uncut the legislation without saying a peep. Trump criticizes everyone that goes against him, he will got on the Fed for not cutting rates, but on this issue he has not said a peep.

You were championing him for asking the DOJ to investigate George Floyd's killers, why hasn't he done the same in regards to them undermining the First Step Act?

I imagine he likely will. If he has not already.

Another difference is the federal judges can act as a safeguard BECAUSE of the law that was signed under this administration.

But let's not pretend that if he does publicly admonish the DOJ for their handling of it, then you will magically turn into some Trump supporter.

I imagine he likely will. If he has not already.

Another difference is the federal judges can act as a safeguard BECAUSE of the law that was signed under this administration.

But let's not pretend that if he does publicly admonish the DOJ for their handling of it, then you will magically turn into some Trump supporter.

Look at this BS :rofl: :rofl:

Trump is a racist, cruel, corrupt piece of ****. I will never support him. I am not as morally bankrupt as you.

I JUST mentioned how I am skeptical of black prosecutors. That shows you were I stand as it relates to prosecutors in general.

I can imagine what his guidance was. But like you said the majority of judges have refused to accept the DOJ's argument and that is possible due to the law passed under this administration.
Barr's instruction is that prosecutors must ignore the quantity of drugs the applicants were convicted of and instead argue their release under the First Step Act should be based on the quantity of drugs that may have been part of crime, which is generally much larger.

Under the Obama administration for example, AG Holder instructed prosecutors to avoid maximum penalties for non-violent drug offenders. That was an instruction that was reversed by Sessions for the record.
I noted this example because it's the clearest I could think of to show cases where the charged quantity is substantially lower than the quantity that was part of the crime.

The First Step Act's intention in this regard is obviously that applicants can apply for release based on their conviction. In order to impede the FSA, Barr is forcing prosecutors to make the argument described above. As mentioned before, a majority of judges have dismissed DOJ's argument and condemned them for making it but that has not been the case for all applicants. Completely against the FSA's intent, applicants have been blocked from a release they're entitled to.

If there is one positive thing that this poorly handled outbreak has given us, its that we will likely see an increase in states that legalize marijuana for tax revenue purposes which will lead to a reduction in non-violent drug sentences.

The First Step Act's intention in this regard is obviously that applicants can apply for release based on their conviction. In order to impede the FSA, Barr is forcing prosecutors to make the argument described above. As mentioned before, a majority of judges have dismissed DOJ's argument and condemned them for making it but that has not been the case for all applicants. Completely against the FSA's intent, applicants have been blocked from a release they're entitled to.

And again, the judges are able to do this BECAUSE of the FSA that Trump signed into law.

And again, the judges are able to do this BECAUSE of the FSA that Trump signed into law.
And again, that safeguard isn’t working. It’s hardly a real safeguard when some judges do in fact unrightfully deny applicants’ release based on DOJ’s nonsense argument.
DOJ argues that the instruction is the correct interpretation of the FSA.

The only real recourse is reversing the instruction or rewriting the law to explicitly lay out the intended process for determining quantity.

And again, that safeguard isn’t working. It’s hardly a real safeguard when some judges do in fact unrightfully deny applicants’ release based on DOJ’s nonsense argument.
DOJ argues that the instruction is the correct interpretation of the FSA.

Are you under the impression that I agree with the DOJ's interpretation? Because I do not.

They should not be undermining a law that was passed under this administration.

McGarth is kinda trash generally, but she is probably gonna win.

A recent internal poll released by Booker’s campaign showed him trailing McGrath by 10 points. Still, that suggests that his standing in the race has improved drastically. A similar internal poll fielded in April showed him down more than 50 points.

And the demographics of Kentucky unfortunately give Centrist a much better chance than Liberals in general elections.

Are you under the impression that I agree with the DOJ's interpretation? Because I do not.

They should not be undermining a law that was passed under this administration.
No, what I’m illustrating is that Trump got his political win after passively aiding the GOP to block it for 2 years and then didn’t make a single effort to push back against his own Attorney General sabotaging the implementation of that law.

Trump is generally very outspoken about DOJ’s actions, yet there has been complete silence from Trump on this continuing effort to impede the FSA. Barr generally seems more than happy to be Trump’s lapdog. If Trump would raise the issue, Barr is likely to acquiesce.

Last edited:
No, what I’m illustrating is that Trump got his political win and then didn’t make a single effort to push back against his own Attorney General sabotaging the implementation of that law.

Trump is generally very outspoken about DOJ’s actions, yet there has been complete silence from Trump on this continuing effort to impede the FSA.

You said the vast majority of federal judges do not buy the DOJ's argument. Perhaps, because of that majority, he doesn't feel public admonishment is necessary.

He also is not publicly supporting the DOJs interpretation despite being outspoken generally.

I understand your reluctance to give benefit of the doubt, but if he didn't want the law to work--and supports it being undermined--there was no point in signing it into law.

Back
Top Bottom