***Official Political Discussion Thread***

I know this is jokes--and quality jokes, at that--but think of all the medications and applications in that pile.

I´ve always said that in a society of my design, there would be only two civilian offenses worthy of capital punishment: murder itself and misappropriation of public funds...tampering with the mail might qualify as #3.
The whole thing with USPS hits really close because I grew up without mail service, not because it was never set up since the independence of the country, but because it got so bad (budget cuts, reduction of postal workers, and non-enforcement of mail tampering) that people just stopped using it.
By the time I got old enough to deal with mail (teenage years), the only thing that you could send/receive through the postal service was cards and letters in regular-sized envelopes (large and heavier-than-usual envelopes would routinely "disappear." Packages might as well be a donation to the postal workers). We were simply reduced to sending stuff through friends/family members who would travel to the intended destination. DHL was also an option as long as folks could afford it (and it's not cheap) and the mail was going to the major urban centers of the country (where their offices were located).
The result is that to this day, more than 50% of the nation, mostly small towns and villages, is cut off from the rest of the country when it comes to being able to communicate. The US is nowhere near that level of dysfunction, but we are on that path thanks to this administration.

The whole thing with USPS hits really close because I grew up without mail service, not because it was never set up since the independence of the country, but because it got so bad (budget cuts, reduction of postal workers, and non-enforcement of mail tampering) that people just stopped using it.
By the time I got old enough to deal with mail (teenage years), the only thing that you could send/receive through the postal service was cards and letters in regular-sized envelopes (large and heavier-than-usual envelopes would routinely "disappear." Packages might as well be a donation to the postal workers). We were simply reduced to sending stuff through friends/family members who would travel to the intended destination. DHL was also an option as long as folks could afford it (and it's not cheap) and the mail was going to the major urban centers of the country (where their offices were located).
The result is that to this day, more than 50% of the nation, mostly small towns and villages, is cut off from the rest of the country when it comes to being able to communicate. The US is nowhere near that level of dysfunction, but we are on that path thanks to this administration.

damn dude. that´s some real *** testimony.

a functioning postal service is the backbone of a fully developed nation, and this really makes that clear.

this guy gotta go, man.

Any decent developmental economist will tell you that before you can really talk about the finer points of monetary policy, fiscal, labor policy, trade policy etc. you need to get some of the basics right. Things like disease abatement, I mean mosquito eradication and clean drinking water we're not even talking about single payer versus private insurers; fire prevention; very basic infrastructure; preventing bandits from seizing road and water ways; and a postal service, that delivers to places that market based couriers would not, are what allow a country to have a chance at raising standards of living through capital formation and the ability for the state to provision more advanced services.

Too many Americans, in positions of power, have truly internalized the Ayn Rand worldview and they believe that the brilliance of the businessman can overcome a lack of even the most basic of public goods. If you neglect those very basic public goods, you not just a falling GDP but a new dark age,

Too many Americans, in positions of power, have truly internalized the Ayn Rand worldview and they believe that the brilliance of the businessman can overcome a lack of even the most basic of public goods. If you neglect those very basic public goods, you not just a falling GDP but a new dark age,
I always keep thinking back to this Vice News segment about the war in Syria. This segment that starts at 13:37 mark features a coastal town (Latakia) where the elites are enjoying life and talking about how great life is while other parts of the country are completely destroyed.

This is really what the Ayn Rand elites want. Not a strong and peaceful country. The 99% of it that they don't need can burn for all they care.

Sup my hat is too big

sup_hat2big.jpg

me looking at all the anti-maskers littered amongst this MAGA crowd

tenor.gif

You're going to have to take that off, please. Just, you can take it off. You're - you're how many feet away? Well if you don't take it off, you're very muffled. So if you take it off, it would be a lot easier --

I'll just speak a lot louder, is that better?

[DELK SIGH] It's better. Yeah, it's better.

Back
Top Bottom